Lite weight hunting AR

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rabiddawg

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Lafayette, LA
    After a bit of research, I have decided to ask for help on this one. I looked at a couple of the commercial hunting AR platforms out there, but I want something shorter and lighter than they are building; all of them tend to be 18" or longer barrels and weigh in at 7.75# plus; I want it to weigh less than 8# with a scope. I wont require tack driving accuracy so I am thinking the barrel doesn't have to be as long or heavy. This gun will be used to hunt whitetail deer or similar sized game so I would like a 243 or 308.

Is this being offered already and I can't find it?

If not, can it be done?

If so, how would you do it? List your components manufacturers please.

Thanks.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    After a bit of research, I have decided to ask for help on this one. I looked at a couple of the commercial hunting AR platforms out there, but I want something shorter and lighter than they are building; all of them tend to be 18" or longer barrels and weigh in at 7.75# plus; I want it to weigh less than 8# with a scope. I wont require tack driving accuracy so I am thinking the barrel doesn't have to be as long or heavy. This gun will be used to hunt whitetail deer or similar sized game so I would like a 243 or 308.

Is this being offered already and I can't find it?

If not, can it be done?

If so, how would you do it? List your components manufacturers please.

Thanks.

Allow me to display someone else's creation. It is the best lightweight precision build I have seen on an AR platform. Just change the caliber and you have EXACTLY what you wanted. Get a lighter/smaller optic since you won't require such precision, cut the barrel down to 18", and you shave even MORE weight.:

After having sucess with the "AR Mountain Rifle" builds, I decided to see if a lightweight varmint hunting AR was possible. The goal for this rifle was sub-8 lbs with the optic. I wasn't sure this was possible given the last varmint rifle I built weighed almost 12 lbs.

DSCN1928_sm.jpg

DSCN1926_sm.jpg

The majority of the weight savings came from the following: Dimpled WOA barrel (3 lbs to 2 lbs 5.9 oz); FF HG (7.78 oz with BBL nut); VLTOR Modstock (6 oz in A1 length w/o cheek pods); JP bolt carrier (6.49 oz); JP rifle buffer (3.2 oz); stripped LB upper (6.9 oz).

Upper parts:
    • WOA 20" .204 BBL, 1:10 twist "Light" HBAR profile & dimpled by Marvin Pitts
    • Les Baer Upper w/o FWD assist
    • BCM Firing pin, retaining pin, cam pin, BBL nut
    • AP Customs 15" CF tube
    • BCM Mod 4 CH
    • VLTOR low profile SS clamp on GB
    • JP low mass BC
    • Palmetto St Armory bolt

Lower Parts
    • AA Stripped lower
    • G&R LPK
    • MOE grip
    • VLTOR Modstock Clubfoot Rifle stock, A1
    • Rifle buffer tube
    • CS Rifle buffer spring
    • JP low mass buffer
    • Geissele SSA-E trigger

Optics and Misc
    • Nikon Monarch 5-20x44
    • Cerakote Coyote tan, FDE, Federal Brown
    • Millet Scope mount
    • Many different 20 rd mags from NHMTG, D&H, & Magpul

The optic was a spare I've been using for quite some time. I was going to upgrade to a lighter scope (this one is 19 oz), but after seeing the final weight of this build, I'll probably stick with it for a while. The glass is clear and I really like the parallax adjustment on the side.

Some pics of the Carbon Fiber FF tube, barrel, etc.

204barrelbeforesm.jpg

This is White Oak Armament's light HBAR profile. It tapers from 0.95" to 0.84" dia behind the GB, 0.75" at the GB and 0.74" to the muzzle. The BBL is not listed on their site, but you can call to order it. Figure about 6-10 wks. They told me it was 2.5 lbs, but obviously that was a bit optimistic.

DSCN1637_sm.jpg

DSCN1845_sm.jpg

DSCN1848_sm.jpg

Marvin removed 10.1 oz!

DSCN1683_sm.jpg

15inchHGweightsmwoBN.jpg

Weight of 15" HG with barrel trunion and mounting hardware, but without factory BBL nut required for installation. Total with the BBL nut is 7.78 oz.

DSCN1693_sm.jpg

DSCN1873_sm.jpg

Here you can see how the barrel trunion for the HG mounts over the BBL nut. This locks up pretty solid and the HG appears to be robust. The weak link are the HG mounting screws- only three. This will be fine for hunting, but is likely ill advised for use on a defensive firearm.

DSCN1874_sm.jpg

Painting the BBL in this manner was a PITA.

DSCN1930_sm.jpg

Weight without optic and mount.

DSCN1929_sm.jpg

Total weight. Goal met.

Like many of my recent builds, I haven't even had time to shoot this due to extensive travel demands for work. :mad:

More later...

http://m4carbine.net/showpost.php?p=1135421&postcount=1

Last edited:

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    I just pulled the 18" H-bar off one of my AR's. Going to send it to Bobby @ Diablo Rifleworks/Freedom Gunworks to lighten it up. Depending on how this one turns out, I'll probably be sending others too.
    www.freedomgunworks.com
    Most any riflesmith worth their salt should be able to lighten and/or shorten and thread a barrel. Pick the gun and caliber you like and put it on a diet.

Last edited:

rabiddawg

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Lafayette, LA
    I stated 308 because i already have 308 dia bullets. Is there another round that will allow the use of100-115 gr bullets but use regular ar lower?

I just read that the 30 AR will fit my 223 lower. What do you guts think about putting this on the diet?

Last edited:

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    I stated 308 because i already have 308 dia bullets. Is there another round that will allow the use of100-115 gr bullets but use regular ar lower?

I just read that the 30 AR will fit my 223 lower. What do you guts think about putting this on the diet?

6.8 should do fine for deer.

rabiddawg

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Lafayette, LA
    Did some more reading and I like the 300 blackout because I can use the 30 caliber bullets I already have on the bench, it will fit std. ar uppers and it uses the 223 mags and I can reload it using my 223 brass. Right?

bigjakewelch, mind sharing details on you gun?

I appreciate yalls patience. I am new to the ar game and have the one I own because I bought it from my Dad. I personally don't have any friends that own ar's and I find it difficult to grasp all the jargon because of the different names for the same caliber (std vs metric).

deafdave3

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    Those that call themselves true, honest, and traditional big game hunters hunt with a proper hunting rifle, not an assault looking machine designed to kill people. Its a world gone mad. Get a popular bolt action rifle; you'll appreciate hunting much more that way.

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Where do you get this crap from. The idea is to get rounds on target. Who cares what you do that with. I have a N6 upper in .308 that shoots 1/2 MOA and I have shot it out to 500 yards. I'll put that up against YOUR traditional hunting rifle. And it being a semiauto makes for quick follow up shots.

HiCapMag

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Baton Rouge, La
    LOL on Bersa's post -- what the hell?

To the OP, the Blackout is probably a good choice out to 200 yards or so...it depends on your hunting and probable range. If you need to go further, the 6.8 would be good, or my choice would be the 6.5 Grendel.

If you go Blackout, you can use the 223 brass, but you have to do some brass work.... the top of the case has to be cutoff and then the case is resized. There are a couple of 300BLK threads on here with lots of info.

deafdave3

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    Where do you get this crap from. The idea is to get rounds on target. Who cares what you do that with. I have a N6 upper in .308 that shoots 1/2 MOA and I have shot it out to 500 yards. I'll put that up against YOUR traditional hunting rifle. And it being a semiauto makes for quick follow up shots.

I promise you, I've shot beyond 500 yards. And hit the target. And with that in mind, I'll add..... if you must have quick follow up shots, its not hunting.

deafdave3

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    I just think that its a tragedy that people actually hunt with assault type firearms. I feel that really is putting shame to our history and traditions as Americans.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Any rifle based on the standard AR-15 receiver will already be way ahead of the game compared to an AR-10 build, so 300BLK would probably be a good way to go. A significant chunk of the weight is in the barrel. A 16" or 18" lightweight profile barrel should be fine for hunting purposes. Unless you're taking LONG shots I don't really see the benefit of a heavy barrel. Float the front end with a TRX Extreme rail and sub 8lbs should be a piece of cake without the need to dump tons of money into it.

deafdave3

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    I'll add.... this is a discussion board. We all share our opinions. If my opinion offends you, that's your issue, not mine.

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    I just think that its a tragedy that people actually hunt with assault type firearms. I feel that really is putting shame to our history and traditions as Americans.
    What's the difference between an AR or a BAR or Rem 742/7400 ? Are they all not semi-auto rifles? Remember what happened when Jim Zumbo said the same thing that you are saying?

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA

Technology is advancing. Equipment is getting better.

Try hunting with a spear and let me know how that works out for you.

JR1572

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Hit the target. Well that's vague. What's the target? A barn, car, house? 1/2 MOA is approximately a 2 1/2 INCH group (3 shots) at 500.

What gun did you use and what sighting system (iron sights or scoped) What was the correction or did you just aim a little high?

Throwing countless rounds down range and a few finding there mark is not shooting, it's hoping.

Bring your traditional hunting rifle, with your traditional duplex retical, with your traditional 100 yard zero and we will go shoot at 500 and see what happens. I have the range to do this at and I'll even come to St. Martinville and pick you up.

Last edited:

goteron

Unity Tactical
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Houma, LA
    Traditional hunting = handmade weapon (spear, atl atl, obsidian knife, etc) Or a handmade trap even

Scoped rifles hunting defenseless animals is stupid.

Hunt a dangerous animal with a spear.

Top Bottom