Lite weight hunting AR

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • deafdave3

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    Hit the target. Well that's vague. What's the target? A barn, car, house? 1/2 MOA is approximately a 2 1/2 INCH group (3 shots) at 500.

What gun did you use and what sighting system (iron sights or scoped) What was the correction or did you just aim a little high?

Throwing countless rounds down range and a few finding there mark is not shooting, it's hoping.

Bring your traditional hunting rifle, with your traditional duplex retical, with your traditional 100 yard zero and we will go shoot at 500 and see what happens. I have the range to do this at and I'll even come to St. Martinville and pick you up.

I never said I can "out shoot" you. I know who you are; I don't even think I can come close to what you are capable of. All I said is that I have shot a helluva lot further than 500 yards.

deafdave3

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    Google Jim Zumbo ar15. It's a pretty funny story.

JR1572

Well, I googled him and this is what I found:

I must be living in a vacuum. The guides on our hunt tell me that the use of AR and AK rifles have a rapidly growing following among hunters, especially prairie dog hunters. I had no clue. Only once in my life have I ever seen anyone using one of these firearms. I call them "assault" rifles, which may upset some people. Excuse me, maybe I'm a traditionalist, but I see no place for these weapons among our hunting fraternity. I'll go so far as to call them "terrorist" rifles. They tell me that some companies are producing assault rifles that are "tackdrivers." Sorry, folks, in my humble opinion, these things have no place in hunting. We don't need to be lumped into the group of people who terrorize the world with them, which is an obvious concern. I've always been comfortable with the statement that hunters don't use assault rifles. We've always been proud of our "sporting firearms." This really has me concerned. As hunters, we don't need the image of walking around the woods carrying one of these weapons. To most of the public, an assault rifle is a terrifying thing. Let's divorce ourselves from them. I say game departments should ban them from the praries [sic] and woods.

Seems to me like he only amplifies my point. I rest my case. I'm going to town. Buh-bye!

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Bring your traditional hunting rifle, with your traditional duplex retical, with your traditional 100 yard zero and we will go shoot at 500 and see what happens. I have the range to do this at and I'll even come to St. Martinville and pick you up.

Can I? :D

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Sure Dan I am always up for a private lesson (ass kicking) :).

My point is that the bullet does the damage, the rifle is just the delivery system. Why should it matter what gun / barrel / delivery system the bullet came out of. To say AR's should not be used for hunting is just asinine IMO. (Dan I am sure I am speaking to the choir).

Just people who think AR's shouldn't be used for hunting say things like optics with external adjustments are for snipers not hunting ect. Well I know how they can be an advantage in hunting as well and gladly use them. And thus extended an invitation to demonstrate their advantage over the "typical" hunting setup.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    I just think that its a tragedy that people actually hunt with assault type firearms. I feel that really is putting shame to our history and traditions as Americans.

Actually, we are Englishmen, German, Dutchmen, etc. You need to lay aside your thunder-pole and take up the bow, spear, and knife. Honor the original hunters of this great land. The Native AMERICANS. Disgusting what people think "proper hunting" implements are now days. :rolleyes:

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    Mauser bolt guns were among the first repeaters and most hunting guns are descendant of them..........Wanna guess what they were designed for?

762NATO

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Lafayette
    Actually, we are Englishmen, German, Dutchmen, etc. You need to lay aside your thunder-pole and take up the bow, spear, and knife. Honor the original hunters of this great land. The Native AMERICANS. Disgusting what people think "proper hunting" implements are now days. :rolleyes:

Let us know how that goes for you....... Hope you can run. FAST.
    Returning this to the original question, and away from the silliness, DPMS makes some ARs in .243 or .308 or 6.5 Creedmore, and .260 Remington.
    http://www.dpmsinc.com/firearms/

xobelkcat

tacklebox
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Jul 6, 2007
    Slidell, Louisiana
    When It comes to hunting and killing wild game, Isnt it best to kill the creature as quickly and humainly as possible?

So why wouldnt you want to take every advantage of modern technology with you hunting?

And as for semi-auto's in particular, We all know not every shot is going to hit its mark when your in the field, We are not all highly trained snipers. So the need for a quick, on-target 2nd shot can be necessary.

762NATO

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Lafayette
    When It comes to hunting and killing wild game, Isnt it best to kill the creature as quickly and humainly as possible?

So why wouldnt you want to take every advantage of modern technology with you hunting?

And as for semi-auto's in particular, We all know not every shot is going to hit its mark when your in the field, We are not all highly trained snipers. So the need for a quick, on-target 2nd shot can be necessary.

What happens if it chargers and still keeps coming? God have mercy on you if your gun is a bolt action without a bayonet, at least then you can stab it. Otherwise, hunting with a bolt is fine if you are in a stand.

Last edited:

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Sure Dan I am always up for a private lesson (ass kicking) :).

My point is that the bullet does the damage, the rifle is just the delivery system. Why should it matter what gun / barrel / delivery system the bullet came out of. To say AR's should not be used for hunting is just asinine IMO. (Dan I am sure I am speaking to the choir).

Just people who think AR's shouldn't be used for hunting say things like optics with external adjustments are for snipers not hunting ect. Well I know how they can be an advantage in hunting as well and gladly use them. And thus extended an invitation to demonstrate their advantage over the "typical" hunting setup.

I actually switched my main deer rifle to an external adjustment scope (with traditional plex reticle) and really like it. I keep it set for 225 yards but have to option to change it very quickly. On one stand, it was 155 yards to the other end of the plot so I set the scope for 150, this let me make 4 headshots on does by aiming precisely where I wanted to hit rather than holding a bit low like I used to do. I also shot a couple deer over 300 yards this year. It was nice to be able to aim without hold over. on one of my other rifles, I went with a Leupold custom BDC reticle. Crosshair is at 200 and dots at 300, 400 and 500. That thing really works too.

What is the problem with hunting with a semi auto? People have been doing so for over 100 years. If you don't like those modern (60 year old) military style ones, don't use one (you are just being prejudiced anyway), but don't rain on others' parades.

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Yep,

Took an Elk and Mule Deer with a NightForce NXS this year in Colorado. When I hunt local it is either a NF or a Premier Heritage on top. All my scopes have the ability of external adjustment except my .22 calibers.

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    What happens if it chargers and still keeps coming? God have mercy on you if your gun is a bolt action without a bayonet, at least then you can stab it. Otherwise, hunting with a bolt is fine if you are in a stand.

Didn't you post just a few days ago that you shot a rifle for the first time? I guess you are now qualified to tell people what type of rifle that they should use while hunting?

Thank you iExpert.

JR1572

rabiddawg

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Lafayette, LA
    Those that call themselves true, honest, and traditional big game hunters hunt with a proper hunting rifle, not an assault looking machine designed to kill people. Its a world gone mad. Get a popular bolt action rifle; you'll appreciate hunting much more that way.

That's your oppinion but I don't recall asking for an opinion on what type of gun I should use.

I don't recall calling myself "true, honest and traditional" about anything.

I happen to have several popular bolt action rifles among others.

I don't appreciate the hijack so bye bye.

Top Bottom