Loaded Rifle in Vehicle

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    CHP
    CHL
    CCP
    CCL
    CCW
    CWL
    CWP
    CACL
    CACP

it goes on and on

Most likely, but I'm leaving work early, so I won't be on my computer for long and I don't want to miss some good trolling debates :rofl:

And at the end of the day it will still be a CHP :)

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Can you have a loaded gun (pistol / rifle / shotgun / other firearm) in your vehicle: Yes.

Should you have a loaded long-gun in your car: Probably not.

Why? Rifles are unwieldy in a car. Pistols are much better. But you probably shouldn't be shooting and driving anyway whenever you can drive away from most situations. A rifle would be better than a pistol if you are having to get out of the vehicle (in most cases). I would argue that 30 rounds aren't much worse than 31 and chambering a round upon grabbing the rifle isn't much of a problem. If it is, well you are probably screwed anyway.

Note: I didn't say that a pistol shouldn't be chambered and ready to go. So don't throw that stick in my direction.

Suburbazine

01001000 01101001 0011111
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I keep a Colt M4 locked up inside my vehicle. It's secured even if the vehicle isn't for some reason. Due to space constraints, it's not secured with the mag inserted, but the 2-odd seconds to load a carbine shouldn't matter in any situation a carbine would be required.

Last edited:

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    Pretty sure you boy's in and around B.R. may want to reconsider after the shooting in Dallas, Never know when you'll get caught out in the open and need to assist an LEO, I anticipate a copy cat ambush.

I make the commute to the NOLA area. You better believe my carbine is riding today.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    1. Loaded guns in vehicles are legal in most cases .

2. Whether YOU choose to carry a loaded gun in your vehicle is YOUR personal decision .

3. Can we stop arguing ? :ohreally:

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    +10,000 You sir know how to plan ahead!

Its like this: I'm a cautous person, I don't expect trouble, I avoid "dangerious" areas and typically avoid crowded places. This is on any normal day, but when things are tense and we have seen multiple attacks on civilian targets here and abroad in the previous few weeks. And a mass of people hell bent one being "useful idiots" I gear up. Pray for the best and be prepared to defend life and liberty if I happen to be so unlucky. You know winning the lottery has embarasingly long odds but every now and then I buy a ticket.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    1) Are you guys leaving the rifles in the cars/trucks unattended?

2) Do you guys have those cool battle belts and chest rigs or just the rifle?

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.

1) No - but I can bring mine into work, Not every one has the luxury. If things are so bad I need to carry a rifle I am not hanging out in places or I am responding to a specific event usually preceded by a phone call.
    2) No - I have a bag with a strap and handles.
    3) You didn't ask but I do wear a Glock hat and a Glock 81

Any body that took what I said about earlier to mean don't be prepared and don't carry a loaded weapon with a round in the chamber ever is not very good at reading comprehension. As many here understand there is a time and place to do so. Consider it a protocol if you will.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by

Yeah and I went ahead and put on my jump boots and my boonie hat both in mulitcam this morning.

Crap that reminds me I forgot my kneepads.:exnbp:

Not

dk.easterly

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Clinton, LA
    I guess everyone here lives in or around the city. Not all of us do. I live on the outskirts and spend a lot of time in the country.

Rifles carried in vehicles was extremely common not that long ago and still is in a lot of areas. Whether it be to dispatch a varmint or defend ones self, there are plenty of reasons for carrying a loaded rifle in your vehicle.

To all those, "I don't carry loaded because it only takes 2 seconds blah blah blah"...do you carry you SD pistol unloaded? If not, why do you carry one in the chamber?

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    To all those, "I don't carry loaded because it only takes 2 seconds blah blah blah"...do you carry you SD pistol unloaded? If not, why do you carry one in the chamber?

Covered it several times on the SD pistol. Big difference between having a pistol on you and getting out of your car going to the trunk and getting a rifle.

Basic as it gets: Never chamber a round without a reason.

So you shoot yotes from the truck on the road?

Last edited:

sirbiggstixx

Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Mar 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    My 2 black rifles are on the backseat in my truck in a case. Dont have one in the chamber, but full mag in them both. On the other hand, the .45 pistol, judge, and 9mm are all loaded to the T. Going to the camp after work to make sure everything is sighted in and shooting well. I dont ever not have a loaded pistol on me/with me, most of the time I dont have rifles loaded in the pipe unless im on my property working or what not, but they are all loaded in the mags.

Hattrick 22

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Kenner, Louisiana
    Love these guys.

http://www.cncwarrior.com/category-s/2037.htm

As for a loaded+chambered rifle (safety on) in a vehicle I have when traveling long distances with my faimly. I don't know if it would have been useless for me to get to etc but it put me more at ease when traveling threw certain places. Thats not including the 2 pistols/spare mags (one on me and one for my wife).

In the past before I was able to purchase my current firearms I use to travel with a .22 pistol and felt safer that way as well now I am able to be over prepared.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    joshualectric
    Top Bottom