Loaded Rifle in Vehicle

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Suburbazine

01001000 01101001 0011111
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I guess everyone here lives in or around the city. Not all of us do. I live on the outskirts and spend a lot of time in the country.

Rifles carried in vehicles was extremely common not that long ago and still is in a lot of areas. Whether it be to dispatch a varmint or defend ones self, there are plenty of reasons for carrying a loaded rifle in your vehicle.

To all those, "I don't carry loaded because it only takes 2 seconds blah blah blah"...do you carry you SD pistol unloaded? If not, why do you carry one in the chamber?

I carry my pistols (both) hot. But the pistol is just to make enough space/time to fish out a bigger drill. Again, if I have time to disengage the lockdown system, I have time to load it. If my locker was bigger I would carry loaded for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dk.easterly

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Clinton, LA
    Covered it several times on the SD pistol. Big difference between having a pistol on you and getting out of your car going to the trunk and getting a rifle.

Basic as it gets: Never chamber a round without a reason.

So you shoot yotes from the truck on the road?

So why are you chambering a round in your SD pistol? You obviously don't need it. Or have the psychic ability to tell when and where you will...

And why is the rifle in the trunk?

At this point it's easy to see you are simply closed minded to the point where nothing anyone else says will sway your opinion.

dk.easterly

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Clinton, LA
    I carry my pistols (both) hot. But the pistol is just to make enough space/time to fish out a bigger drill. Again, if I have time to disengage the lockdown system, I have time to load it. If my locker was bigger I would carry loaded for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fair enough. 100% agreed that the pistol is just to get you to your rifle.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    So why are you chambering a round in your SD pistol? You obviously don't need it. Or have the psychic ability to tell when and where you will...

And why is the rifle in the trunk?

At this point it's easy to see you are simply closed minded to the point where nothing anyone else says will sway your opinion.

I have explained it to you several times.
    You don't seem to understand some very basic principles. You don't seem understand if/then statements either.

The rifle is in my trunk because the trade off between security, safety and potential threat is where I feel it should be. The rifle is in the trunk for hundreds of reasons including but not limited to: I am not a drug dealer, pimp, juggalo, afraid of every aspect of life, BAMF, Giant *****, don't suffer from SDS, run a meth lab, threatened by varmints, have a blue t-shirt with red S on it, don't drive like an idiot, don't owe loan sharks money, don't do high threat security and I don't get offended because somebody didn't show my truck nuts the respect they deserve. I just don't feel the need to ride around with that much firepower most of the time. (Even though at any minute any number of local PD's could potentially call me to take the shot - cause yeah we live in a world that is that dangerous.) ((it's a joke if that needs explainin'))

So no answer on shooting yotes from the road, huh? So you ride around all the time with a rifle right next to you? Come on man don't be quitter. Don't accuse me of being close minded as some kind of excuse because you don't really have any answers to my questions. I keep answering yours even though you keep misunderstanding or disregarding the answers.

And on the psychic ability: none needed.
    If there is no current threat of riot, then I may not pack a rifle.
    If there is a current threat of riot, then I may pack a rifle.
    I do of course reserve the right to pack a rifle as I feel needed and in the condition and location of my choice.

Last edited:

dk.easterly

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Clinton, LA
    So why do you carry a round loaded in your pistol?

Because when seconds matter and adrenaline is pumping, the last thing you want to hear is 'click'.

Same exact principle applies to a defensive rifle.

Also, I never claimed to be Billy badass. I grew up with a rifle/shotgun in the back glass and continue that tradition (to an extent) today. Both of which were chambered and at the ready 24/7.

Now continue on with the my way or the highway mindset and be happy that we have that right.

Never meant for this to turn into some ridiculous argument. It's obvious we are from two very different walks of life.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    So why do you carry a round loaded in your pistol?

Because when seconds matter and adrenaline is pumping, the last thing you want to hear is 'click'.

Same exact principle applies to a defensive rifle.

Also, I never claimed to be Billy badass. I grew up with a rifle/shotgun in the back glass and continue that tradition (to an extent) today. Both of which were chambered and at the ready 24/7.

Now continue on with the my way or the highway mindset and be happy that we have that right.

Never meant for this to turn into some ridiculous argument. It's obvious we are from two very different walks of life.

Never accused you of being Billy badass.

No it ain't my way or the highway. I am just responding to you in the manner you approached me with. Sometimes I do that. Sorry if you were offended by it.

MTregre

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    St. Charles Parish
    Regardless of what is being carried, I was taught to never have a gun with you that you cant shoot if need be. A gun without ammunition is just a stick or a brick.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    Regardless of what is being carried, I was taught to never have a gun with you that you cant shoot if need be. A gun without ammunition is just a stick or a brick.

I thought that is what bayonets were for? Just kidding man.
    I agree with what you are saying. I also make a distinction between carry, transport, storage, threats, possibility of threat, and probability of threat, etc.

Last edited:

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    Transport to the range/home unloaded and open action.

During times of protest, storms, SHTF and etc locked and loaded.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    I was taught that you never have a chambered round in your rifle while in a vehicle, unless you were actively engaging the enemy.

Doesn't matter whether it's a C130, Chithook, Heavily Armored 5 Ton Dump truck, or my Ford F150.

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    Did someone touch you in your safe space?

Not today . And I hope that wasn't an offer .

Don't be such a close minded homophobe. You might dig it......

EDITED to add:

Don't want to be accused of not adding to the discussion. I have a secured AK in the back of my vehicle that goes everywhere with me. I never leave a round chambered in it.

No battle belt here either, but I do keep a tactical nylon bag (Mall Ninja Brand) with some mags in it. Battle belts went out of style with camo Crocs and they are so "2000 and late". No self respecting militia member wears a battle belt anymore to a meeting if they expect to get invited to the after party.

Last edited:

dk.easterly

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Clinton, LA
    I was taught that you never have a chambered round in your rifle while in a vehicle, unless you were actively engaging the enemy.

Doesn't matter whether it's a C130, Chithook, Heavily Armored 5 Ton Dump truck, or my Ford F150.

What's the reasoning behind not leaving a round in the chamber?

Top Bottom