Long range shooter

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • goodburbon

Whalmitfahrer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 9, 2008
    Around
    I'm looking into getting a long range gun, and am starting to settle on the DPMS LR 308. I have a few questions.

1. For long range accuracy, what is the best barrel length? To me longer is better, but I have seen some mention of 18" being a good barrel for .308, but the rifle I am looking at is 24"

2. Anyone have one of these rifles? I read a few articles and it seems that sub MOA groups are achieved from these rifles right out of the box, I am curious about actual experienced accuracy and reliability.

I'm set on getting a semi-auto with detachable magazine and this rifle fits the requirements and price range. I know that a bolt gun would get me better potential accuracy, and that everyone loves the 700, and eventually I want one too, but that isn't the gun I want right now.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    For a long range gun, you are going to want the longer barrel because it will allow the cartridge to develop more velocity, thereby decreasing drift and increasing range. Range is increased because your bullet will only remain stable as long it is supersonic.

goodburbon

Whalmitfahrer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 9, 2008
    Around
    I need to find someone a little closer to Canon City Colorado to go to though. I have heard this about Dan and take his advice seriously. I'm going to get a membership at the range up here, I hear they go up to 1300m.

CajunTim

Premium CoonAss Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2006
    Mandeville, LA
    What about barrel flutes? Is it worth the extra cost?

Im no expert but I believe the fluted barrels only allow it to cool faster as it creates more surface area and had no barring on accuracy.

BearIt has what it sounds like you are looking for but in an Armalite which I prefer anywaysm that he is selling.

Ritten I believe shoots what you are talking about.

goodburbon

Whalmitfahrer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 9, 2008
    Around
    BearIt does have what I'm talking about With the exception of a threaded and fluted barrel and with an additional $250 stock. I'm wanting to partial trade my FAL for one and the cost difference between the two is too lopsided for me to even ask.

goodburbon

Whalmitfahrer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 9, 2008
    Around
    What are you looking to get for your FAL and what do you have?

I've got an IMBEL FAL, but I hadn't really considered selling it. I paid 1100 for it a few months ago from ENAL and only put 20rds through it. It functioned flawlessly, but I've decided that I really want some reach out and touch capability.

Last edited:

goodburbon

Whalmitfahrer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 9, 2008
    Around
    Drive that rifle to its limits. You will be surprised what it is capable of as you learn to get the most out of it.

I'd be a lot more concerned about about Tiger Mckee shooting at me with that .308 battle rifle from 1000 yards than someone with a precision rifle and no experience at 500.

I had considered it, but with an 11.5" barrel and lack of any way to attach a flash hider/comp, it doesn't really meet my requirements. That and the trigger is super heavy.

kajuntriton

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   0
    May 2, 2009
    BR, G-Town, P-Ville
    That rifle will hold it's own quite well out to 600 and 800 yards! Maybe more restricted beyound 600 due to the 16" barrel BUT out to 600 it is a MOM shooting rifle! Minute Of Man! That's what it is all about isn't it?

jbonnette

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Denham Springs
    What about barrel flutes? Is it worth the extra cost?

My understanding is that fluting only gives you two advantages:
    1) Shaves weight from the gun. It gives you the advantage of having a thicker barrel (which does improve accuracy) without all of the weight by shaving out flutes which do not affect the flexing of the barrel.

2) Allows the barrel to cool more quickly. More surface area means quicker cooling. If you are shooting for precision/long range... you probably you will be shooting in the quantity to even care.

I personally didn't think the extra cost was worth it for how I would be using my rifle. I ended up buying the DPMS AP4 .308...but haven't shot it yet :o

dmiculek

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 1, 2006
    Gramercy
    I'm looking into getting a long range gun, and am starting to settle on the DPMS LR 308.

2. Anyone have one of these rifles?

I have a 24" fluted BBL. Mine is probably a moa gun. Haven't got a whole lot of rounds thru it, but reliabilty has been very good. Good thing with an AR type rifle, BBL swap is easy if I don't like the way this one shoots, if I ever get around to shooting it enough to determine what it is truly capable of. (or not capable of).

goodburbon

Whalmitfahrer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 9, 2008
    Around
    I've heard over and over that reference for AK's also...

Hey, I'm gonna try it just for S&G. I'll have to get some match ammo though, all I have is surplus German stuff in .308. I really wanted a long range gun in .30-06, since my wife already has her -06 and refuses to give it up. Then I could concentrate buying / loading precision ammo in one caliber. I thought about a Garand, but I don't want to be limited to milsurp loads.

Last edited:

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    I just sold my 24" LR-308 but only because I bought a lighter 18" version. The gun was heavy and if I'm going to shoot with an 18lbs gun then it will be at distance with a bolt rifle. It would hold 3/4" all day at 100yds with 175smk's sitting on 43gr. of Varget and loaded to mag. length. I never had an issue with the gun except when it wouldn't feed some rounds that I sized improperly (brain fart). I've always heard great things about the DPMS .308's and having owned two of them I can say the quality is top notch.

Barrel length should be depending on what you consider to be "long range". 18" should get you out to 800yds with most rounds but you'll want the longer barrels if you plan to shoot further. Both rifles I had/have are 1/10 twists so they like the heavier bullets, but of course all barrels are different and yours may love the 147-155's.

goodburbon

Whalmitfahrer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 9, 2008
    Around
    I found someone who wants to trade me his 21" upper with zero rise comp for my 16" upper with 5" fake comp. I'm thinking this would solve my problem, or come close to it. How much accuracy can I expect out of an FAL and is that rail I have going to be a solid enough optics platform?

I'm still jones'in for that LR308 though.

Top Bottom