Looking for a 30/06 for my 11 year old

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    http://www.predatormastersforums.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=799630

post #8

As far as malfunction I was thinking along the lines of it being an easily stressed stock. I didn't thinking about it from a materials standpoint i.e. wood vs plastic I was thinking more along the line of it having less material making it less ridgid/weaker due to lack of material.

Yea, that guy....in post #8 of that thread...is an idiot. If I'm worried about my horse leaning against the scabbard and crushing the stock on my rifle then having an ADL stock vs a BDL bottom metal isn't going to help. There are stocks made for that kind of abuse and I've personally tested them to handle it.

Taken from Manners website:
    stockkkk-595x346.png

Hattrick 22

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Kenner, Louisiana
    Yea, that guy....in post #8 of that thread...is an idiot. If I'm worried about my horse leaning against the scabbard and crushing the stock on my rifle then having an ADL stock vs a BDL bottom metal isn't going to help. There are stocks made for that kind of abuse and I've personally tested them to handle it.

Gotcha thanks for clearing that up for me.

Sorry OP for taking the thread in a different direction that wasn't my intention and I hope your son enjoys his new rifle :)

rhettro

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 5, 2007
    SPS

Good choice. It will serve him well! Wide aray of bullet choices in that caliber. A rifle for life.

mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner
    I think yall were missing the point of my question. I am going to get him a 06. Thats not the issue. I was wondering what was the best bang for the buck. He has shot all of my milsurps, ar's, and my BAR 30/06. He can handle the recoil. My question was about what platform. After a few pm's I have deceided to buy him a new 700 SPS Thanks guys

Great choice !! Some of these replies are picking at nats ..... This is a hunting rifle for killing deer or hogs... Not 800yard sniper shots. A $300-$500 Rifle is all im dragging through the swamp and all the above mentioned ones work just fine !

Doug76

Road Warrior
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2012
    Southshore
    I think yall were missing the point of my question. I am going to get him a 06. Thats not the issue. I was wondering what was the best bang for the buck. He has shot all of my milsurps, ar's, and my BAR 30/06. He can handle the recoil. My question was about what platform. After a few pm's I have deceided to buy him a new 700 SPS Thanks guys

Point taken! LOL
    Maybe you should have let us know his size right off. So I don't mind if you ignore what I said before.
    But I still think the Ruger American is the way to go, and they do make it in .30-06.

Devilneck

S&W Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Slidell

Good choice. If you hadn't decided, I would have suggested checking out Savage rifles as well. Great guns for the money.

Top Bottom