Looking for a digital grain scale.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigNick73

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 21, 2008
    Brandon, MS
    I have one of those shown in the OP. I use it to measure hops, starter, etc.. for homebrewing, plenty accurate for that but I wouldn't trust it for reloading purposes. They are pretty cheap.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    For these scales that have a check weight, how heavy is the weight? And what is the usual range of the scales? Do the scales have an "auto calibrate" of sorts for use with the check weight? Or do you just check the accuracy at that point and then send it back to the manufacturer for complete calibration if it's off? I just have a hard time believing that you can get any kind of a decent calibration done on a scale by checking accuracy on only a single point in its range, unless of course that single point happens to be the same weight as your charge.

Exactly.
    A scale is not usually as accurate near its uppper/lower limit as it is in the mid range.

Some scales come with a check weight or two. You can buy a set that has a range. You can also buy a set that will make up an exact weight.

Queston is how do you know the check weight is right? One set comes with tweezers & gloves. The oil from your fingers & then the resulting dust knocks the weight off. Serious sounding business.

Some guys get a coin, mark it and confirm the scale has repeated on that coin.

As one of the previous post mentioned the air movement affects the digital scale. It does the same on a balance. A balance scale still has some human error involved in reading it. You also can knock the zero off by moving it a little on your bench, assuming your bench is not perfectly flat & level.

Ideally you want a load that will tolerate a little charge weight variance and not become unsafe or inaccurate. This is why the ladder method and OCW are popular with some people.

artabr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    New Iberia , Louisiana
    Quoting LSP972:

"Derek, practically all of the "name" digital reloading scales are made in China"

In the link in my earlier post Pact claims that their scales are made in Texas.
    Just saying.

Art

wrecker704

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Hammond,La
    my pact came with a 20 and a 50 gr ck weitht and askes for 70 to cal. it does the 20,then 50 and then 70. wind or air movement does affect them so i make sure the a/c is not on

Cowboy

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 15, 2006
    Houston
    If you can't afford the Dillon digital scale, then buy a good beam scale. The beam scale is every bit as accurate as the Dillon digital scale, just not as convenient. The beam scale will cost less than the cheep digital scale and be more accurate.

Top Bottom