looking for a range gun

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • asianpersuasion

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Seabrook/BR
    okay guys,

i have a couple of .22 and .25 handguns and revolvers. i also have a xd40. i'm kind of wanting maybe a 9mm handgun. doesn't have to be anything expensive just reliable and something i could bring to the range once a week to put a couple hundred rounds thru it to work on my skills. what would do you recommend? are there anyplace (shops) that has something used for a good price?

thanks
    chow

Tantrix

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Pineville, Louisiana
    If it's just range stuff look for a used Ruger auto in 9mm. Usually they can be found for around $300 or less. They are heavy, built like tanks and usually reliable.

A Glock 17 or 19 would work too, but you'd be looking at closer to $400.

asianpersuasion

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Seabrook/BR
    ya i'm looking around $300. something for shits and giggles. may something in the .380 cal. i've read that the bersa thunder wasn't too bad. anybody have any experience with these?

Last edited:

nolacop

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    save a couple more bucks and go for a used glock..they can be had for 350 or so. they eat up anything u put through em and make a great range gun. anything cheaper you're gonna probably have some problems with. good luck.

Tantrix

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Pineville, Louisiana
    I forgot to mention, if you end up spending a little more, I have a G19 for sale that will tear it up on the range, and be a good home defense gun. It's $425 (has Meprolight night sights)

Look at it in the classifieds section.

asianpersuasion

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Seabrook/BR
    a walther p22

I forgot to mention, if you end up spending a little more, I have a G19 for sale that will tear it up on the range, and be a good home defense gun. It's $425 (has Meprolight night sights)

Look at it in the classifieds section.

i would like either one of these. i don't know though. plus not having a job the past 6 months the wife's watching the checking account VERY closely.

Cowboy

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 15, 2006
    Houston
    +1 on the used Glock, I'd recommend the 9mm over the 380 for the cost of the ammo. Plenty of cheap 9mm ammo. And you'll always have a decent self defence gun if you need or want one later.

Rhans405

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    I started with a Ruger p89 in 9mm. Great gun. Heavy with very little recoil. I got it for just under 300 new but several years ago. It had a long trigger pull though so when I advanced up to a glock and then a Sig, I became a fan of the sweeter trigger (esp the sig). I also have an older model Bersa 380. The metal on the slide is softer than other guns and the slide lock wore down after a thousand rounds or so. Had to file a new notch to lock the slide.

Top Bottom