LSP seize 64 unlawful pistols during Mardi Gras

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • theonlytalkinggoat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2023
    Louisiana
    Clearly you haven’t read the constitution…. Shall not be infringed does not make someone a criminal because they are practicing their God given rights. Now don’t get me wrong, there are criminals and bad people. I’m not one of them! Glock is faster than 911 all day long! I’m sure these people were acting suspicious or doing something wrong to be stopped and searched or flat out arrested for doing something wrong. But just because you are legally concealing a weapon at a parade doesn’t make you a criminal. The normal citizen carrying isn’t doing anything to get searched, but if they do it’s just a ticket. They aren’t going to arrest you just for having a concealed weapon. We need to band together as a nation and stop all these gun laws that are ridiculous. A law abiding citizen is faster than waiting for a cop. Criminals don’t abide by the law!!! It’s us law abiding citizens that have to suffer because of stupid people. You can’t bring your gun here, you cant carry there, you are a criminal if you do that….. It just causes division and violence. But don’t get it twisted, all laws are an infringement! It’s a never winning situation….
    I was going to say something, but you got to it before me. Preach!

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    2 things -

1) people really need to learn how to conceal a gun if they are going to carry "concealed". If it prints, its not concealed.

2) I suppose that even if you are not printing, they are profiling - from the linked story: "Sergeants who are proactive and have been teaching these officers what to look for and characteristics of people who are carrying firearms."
    1) Louisiana has no law against 'printing', or even open carry. The more my belt shrinks, the more I print when I carry. Which is always. I wear larger shirts, untucked to cover my IWB appendix carry.

2) IIRC, Bourbon St is a public street. I believe I have a right to carry on a public street, no matter the date on the calendar. There are no parades on Bourbon St that I am aware of.

When I visit the French Quarter, I do not disarm unless I plan on drinking. Which is not often anymore.
    I don't go into establishments that are off limits to carry into. Not even the post office.

I don't carry because I'm afraid, any more than I keep a fire extinguisher because I'm afraid of a kitchen fire.
    I carry because I know that there are bad people in this world who have no regard for the safety of others. The only way to avoid bad people is to become a hermit. I'm way too gregarious for hermithood.

I wonder if any of those 64 people were veterans.

swampfoxx

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2014
    Ponchatoula, LA
    There are different rules for Bourbon Street. I was carrying a Buck 110 in my pocket about 25 years ago, and was stopped by NOPD. He told me to give him the knife as he was confiscating it. I told him that it was not illegal to carry it in NO or LA. He said this is Bourbon Street, and we have our own rules. I told him to give me a receipt for it as I wanted it back when I left town. He told me to come sit in the back of his unit and he would write me a receipt ;) I determined that the cost of a Buck 110 was not worth the hassle of being arrested and hiring a lawyer, so I let him have it. I hope the a$$hole enjoyed wearing it.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Guilty as charged. Lol!! I notice the bigger my gut gets, the smaller the gun I have to carry. I’m working on it, wife complains every day
    First step is deciding to make a change! You got this dude!!

1) Louisiana has no law against 'printing', or even open carry. The more my belt shrinks, the more I print when I carry. Which is always. I wear larger shirts, untucked to cover my IWB appendix carry.
    LA has laws against carrying concealed without a permit....and printing is like *the* giveaway that one may be breaking that law. It's also articuable probable cause.

2) IIRC, Bourbon St is a public street. I believe I have a right to carry on a public street, no matter the date on the calendar. There are no parades on Bourbon St that I am aware of.
    Facts.
    When I visit the French Quarter, I do not disarm unless I plan on drinking. Which is not often anymore.
    I don't go into establishments that are off limits to carry into. Not even the post office.

I don't carry because I'm afraid, any more than I keep a fire extinguisher because I'm afraid of a kitchen fire.
    I carry because I know that there are bad people in this world who have no regard for the safety of others. The only way to avoid bad people is to become a hermit. I'm way too gregarious for hermithood.

I wonder if any of those 64 people were veterans.
    Good points. I also try to avoid that area of the world....but if I'm there, I'm likely drinking.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    There are different rules for Bourbon Street. I was carrying a Buck 110 in my pocket about 25 years ago, and was stopped by NOPD. He told me to give him the knife as he was confiscating it. I told him that it was not illegal to carry it in NO or LA. He said this is Bourbon Street, and we have our own rules. I told him to give me a receipt for it as I wanted it back when I left town. He told me to come sit in the back of his unit and he would write me a receipt ;) I determined that the cost of a Buck 110 was not worth the hassle of being arrested and hiring a lawyer, so I let him have it. I hope the a$$hole enjoyed wearing it.

What is the statute for these different 'rules' on Bourbon St. ?

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA

A Buck 110 does not have a clip. So if it were in your pocket, it would have been IN your pocket. If that's the case, it seems the cop would have had to either randomly stop you and pat your down without probable cause or the cop found it during a pat down where he had probable cause and you've just left that part out of your story.

0110BRS-B_2__81959.1686260883.386.513.png

WilsonCombatant

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 31, 2014
    New Orleans
    The only way to avoid bad people is to become a hermit.
    This is so true. Before the kids came, my wife and I stayed home every weekend. We only left the house if we absolutely needed to. I didn’t get my first gun until after my first kid was born. Those kids drag us everywhere now.

BDClone

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2022
    Louisiana
    Clearly you haven’t read the constitution…. Shall not be infringed does not make someone a criminal because they are practicing their God given rights. Now don’t get me wrong, there are criminals and bad people. I’m not one of them! Glock is faster than 911 all day long! I’m sure these people were acting suspicious or doing something wrong to be stopped and searched or flat out arrested for doing something wrong. But just because you are legally concealing a weapon at a parade doesn’t make you a criminal. The normal citizen carrying isn’t doing anything to get searched, but if they do it’s just a ticket. They aren’t going to arrest you just for having a concealed weapon. We need to band together as a nation and stop all these gun laws that are ridiculous. A law abiding citizen is faster than waiting for a cop. Criminals don’t abide by the law!!! It’s us law abiding citizens that have to suffer because of stupid people. You can’t bring your gun here, you cant carry there, you are a criminal if you do that….. It just causes division and violence. But don’t get it twisted, all laws are an infringement! It’s a never winning situation….
    This is the most common sense response to this. I don't typically go places that I can't carry. If it's not allowed or just frowned upon, you know someone puts up a sign, and I have to go, I am carrying, especially in areas that crime is known to happen. Murder is a crime! Theft and robbery are crimes! A person who carrys a firearm to protect themselves, their family, and others shouldn't be considered a criminal just because of where they are. It's better to keep the firearm on you than leave it in a car.
    People who conceal carry, according to a national study, are the most law abiding group of people. More so than law enforcement, judicial members, and others

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    I had a cop on detail at a Bourbon St. club door bump my pocket, then reach right in and lift my Buck 110 out and ask me why I was carrying it. "Habit, I carry it all the time." He asked me where I was from and I told him Lacombe (at the time). He told me to come get it back when I was leaving, and I did, no problem. I guess just being from "the country" (that's how Lacombe was described back then) is enough of an explanation, like "Well, that's expected, then."

swampfoxx

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2014
    Ponchatoula, LA
    A Buck 110 does not have a clip. So if it were in your pocket, it would have been IN your pocket. If that's the case, it seems the cop would have had to either randomly stop you and pat your down without probable cause or the cop found it during a pat down where he had probable cause and you've just left that part out of your story.

0110BRS-B_2__81959.1686260883.386.513.png
    See post above this one. They "bump" into you and feel for a weapon. No pat down, no probable cause.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    See post above this one. They "bump" into you and feel for a weapon. No pat down, no probable cause.

Feeling for a weapon is a pat down without probable cause. Normally, if someone brushed up against you with their hand while walking, it will be with the back of their hand. There's no way to determine there's a knife in your pocket by feeling it with the back of your hand. The same is true by simply touching something with the palm of your hand. The only way to know what that item is would be to manipulate the item in your pocket through your clothing. The typical carry location for a gun is the waist so they must not be worried about guns. So unless you were specifically targeted, you're suggest that NOPD goes around, or at least went around 25 years ago, grabbing people's pockets looking for knives.

V.Taltos

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2023
    North Louisiana Swamps
    They have a history of failing to return confiscated weapons. Corruption runs really deep in NOLA. From the top, on down.
    I had an M1 Garand, a Bulgarian AK and a Mossberg shotgun stolen in 2004. None have turned up, that I'm aware of despite serial numbers and pictures being provided to police. So it's not just NOLA.

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I had an M1 Garand, a Bulgarian AK and a Mossberg shotgun stolen in 2004. None have turned up, that I'm aware of despite serial numbers and pictures being provided to police. So it's not just NOLA.
    Are you saying that your firearms were recovered and not returned or that they are still on the street?

tim9lives

Tim9
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    New Orleans
    Would you go to jail, post bail, hire a lawyer and try to fight it? You must have more time and money than I did 25 years ago.
    That is exactly correct. The cops know that the case won't fly. But they also know they can arrest you and lock you up a few days. If you really **** them off. They will "lose you" in Parish prison. You get thrown in a cell but no one can findd you and you don't go in front of a magistrate. After about 4 or 5 days being locked up... The jailer finds you and tells you that "you were lost" - locked up in the wrong cell or section.
    New Orleans is a hell of a lot worse than a Banana Republic. It's a totally different world. And the NOPD has been taking guns from people for well over 50 years. Its just what they do.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    That is exactly correct. The cops know that the case won't fly. But they also know they can arrest you and lock you up a few days. If you really **** them off. They will "lose you" in Parish prison. You get thrown in a cell but no one can findd you and you don't go in front of a magistrate. After about 4 or 5 days being locked up... The jailer finds you and tells you that "you were lost" - locked up in the wrong cell or section.
    New Orleans is a hell of a lot worse than a Banana Republic. It's a totally different world. And the NOPD has been taking guns from people for well over 50 years. Its just what they do.
    You don't get "lost" in parish prison. You aren't thrown in some secret cell that nobody knows about only to be found days later.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    kjstang02
    Top Bottom