M&P Pro Series 9mm

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • roundabout

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Central Louisiana
    Anybody have any experience with this particular weapon. I had to try one since I'm an S&W guy but to be honest, I'm a little disappointed with the one I have thus far. It functions fine but accuracy seems to be lacking. Like many, I have a Glock 34 and no matter what I shoot in it, everything seems to hit point of aim. I haven't done much paper shooting with the M&P since I got it back from S&W (yeah, I sent it back) but it still seems to be shooting low and inconsistently. Maybe I just have a lemon? Let me hear from you M&P owners.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Why'd you send it back?

If you're used to shooting Glocks, than that's what you're used to. Some folks shoot better with different guns.

biggie1447

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2010
    Slidell
    I talked with several people about the differences between the Glocks and the M&Ps some time ago. One of them was a tactical pistol instructor and he explained that if you are good with one you will likely suck with the other. He said it had to do with the grip angle and muscle memory, if you are use to shooting a glock, you will aim like it is a glock and miss and visa versa. You would have to spend a bit of time getting to know the gun, but while doing that your training for the other would be negatively affected.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    If it is am MP pro, it has a pro trigger in it. Not being an ass, but I would bet 101.00 it is you. Getting used to a new gun can be tricky, especially if you are used to a Glock trigger and the frame drag associated with shooting one.

I have shot a friends MP9Pro a little, and I actually have one in route to the house right now that will be waiting on me when I get home. I have found it to be an excellent shooter with an even better trigger...hence why I bought one and after sonme serious shooting, am contemplating changing it out for my Glocks as my primary CCH.

I would advise taking it to the range and going back to basics with some good slow fire at about 15 yards. That is far enough to give your errors some relativity on paper and help you adjust.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Grip Angle is bunk, If you learn to shoot and grip a pistol the grip angle is irrelevant. I bet Todd Jarrett can out shoot me with a Glock, M&P, P7, 1911, or Blunderbuss. He knows how to grip and shoot a pistol. See also Jerry Miculek who is a Grand Master with whatever he is shooting.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Try shooting it from a rest, or have someone else shoot it. All of the M&Ps are inherently accurate, particularly the 5" 9mm models. I think you just need some more trigger time with it. :dunno:

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Grip Angle is bunk, If you learn to shoot and grip a pistol the grip angle is irrelevant. I bet Todd Jarrett can out shoot me with a Glock, M&P, P7, 1911, or Blunderbuss. He knows how to grip and shoot a pistol. See also Jerry Miculek who is a Grand Master with whatever he is shooting.

While you are correct, these guys have 100's of 1000's of rounds downrange, so there fundamentals are solidly grounded. For those of us mere mortals, changes in things like grip angles have a more drastic effect on shooting, though it is something that can be remedied.

I can shoot any gun accuratly, but I shoot guns I am used to more accurtately and more quickly. Grip angle does play a part. Especially for less expirienced shooters, as well ad changes in sight configuration, trigger style, and other factors.

King of D Open
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Vieux Carre
    There's also a big difference in the grip size and feel. I had issues with my Glock, tried an M&P and my shooting improved dramatically.

I think my Glock is a great gun but now, since I shoot mostly with my M&P's, the Glock feels very strange to me. I don't have the same issues shooting my Kahr's.

If you don't like the M&P, I'll trade my Glock for it with you - even up. A 1 year old G26 with Tritium sights, Crimson Trace Laser Guard, 7 mags, 4 Crossbreed holsters and more for your Pro.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles

Gorilla C'mon dude! That's like saying, "The bike you use to race the Tour De'France DOES NOT MATTER, b/c Lance Armstrong can do it with a Huffy USA from Wal-Mart. :doh:

NolaCopUsmc hit the nail on the head for us 'Mere Mortals" ;) :mamoru:

Vigilante Sniper

Guns are my crack!!
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    LaPlace
    My M&P pro shoots a 1.14" 5 shot group from my ransom rest, same as my Glocks. Put some grip tape on it, and practice more. Everyone's eyes are different also, so even if the gun shoots to point of impact for one person doesn't necessarly mean it will shoot to the same poi. i.e. my sons g34 sighted for him shoots 2" left and 3" low for me. Buster48's gun an EAA sighted in for him shoots 5' right and high for me. Get you a set of Dawson adjustable sights with .280 front and that should fix your POI problem. As far a accuracy, put it in a rest with same load and see if its you or the gun. I have a rest and inserts for the M&P if you want to come to Nicks and test it. Just let me know.

Last edited:

Tulse Luper

Besmirched!
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Metairie
    Speedracer let me shoot his M&P, and some of those crazy thoughts crept into my head. :eek3:

Racer gets around. I've toyed with his M&Ps, too. The M&Pc will be my next handgun. I carry a USPc, so you know it had to impress me, being part of the upwardly-mobile HK bourgeoisie.

I've also shot Sniper's above. I made the proverbial ragged hole with one of his.

As for grip angle, I don't think it's bunk, but it's damn sure over blown.

Last edited:

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA

Agreed.

1). Sight alignment
    2). Trigger control

Learn em, love em, live em.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Gorilla C'mon dude! That's like saying, "The bike you use to race the Tour De'France DOES NOT MATTER, b/c Lance Armstrong can do it with a Huffy USA from Wal-Mart. :doh:

NolaCopUsmc hit the nail on the head for us 'Mere Mortals" ;) :mamoru:

Your missing my point. Im as mortal as they come. What I am saying is if you practice fundamentals and train the grip angle won't matter. I am sure I would notice a difference between the 92 Im shooting now and my Glocks. I notice a difference between my Glocks and 1911s. But if I do my parts and get a good sight picture, grip correctly, and manipulate the trigger properly the bullet will go where I aimed it. Grip angle doesn't make you shoot low. You make you shoot low. Gun A may feel more natural than Gun B to you but it won't make you miss.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Your missing my point. Im as mortal as they come. What I am saying is if you practice fundamentals and train the grip angle won't matter.

No I didn't miss your point, I'm just messing with ya! ;)

However we were trying to diagnose roundabout's issue here. So assuming he has this issue to begin with as he's confessed, then it's probably safe to assume that he's not a Practice Hog therefore not able to overcome the difference in Grip and Style when shooting different Pistols. See our point Amigo? ;)

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    No I didn't miss your point, I'm just messing with ya! ;)

However we were trying to diagnose roundabout's issue here. So assuming he has this issue to begin with as he's confessed, then it's probably safe to assume that he's not a Practice Hog therefore not able to overcome the difference in Grip and Style when shooting different Pistols. See our point Amigo? ;)

I have long realized that chasing the perfect grip angle, trigger, sights, caliber, etc. is no substitute for training.

You either want to shoot good, or you don't. But constantly changing your gear won't make you a better shot on it's own. It'll make your wallet significantly lighter though.

tactical723

3 Gun / F Class Player
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    Northshore - Covington, LA
    I have been shooting my M&P Pro in matches for about 2 years and put many, many reloads and factory rounds downrange. Mine does shoot just a tad low, even with hot rounds, I even thought about going to adjustable sights. But, I have shot it so much, I know exactly where to place the front sight in relation to the frame and rear sight and now its not a problem.

We even play around with the steel IPSC target @ 100 yds, and I can usually hit it 2 or 3 times out of every mag. It is very accurate on windage from the factory. I have only shot mine, so I do not know if the other Pro's are shooting low as well.

It is a great pistol, especially for smaller handed shooters, I did transition from Glocks as well, and it took some time to get the feel. No problems with the pistol so far. I have always shot bone stock production pistols

Last edited:
    Top Bottom