Man aquitted for murder and robbery, but sentenced for gun possession

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tate

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    I tend to agree with the OP in this, now that he has clarified his position. I don't think ex-cons should have guns. If they're dangerous people they should never get out. It's not like we have a good chance of really stopping them from obtaining a weapon long enough to commit another crime. It happens every day all over this country. I did think it was a bit ridiculous that with the laundry list of charges this guy faced he was only convicted on the gun charge.

VeedUp

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Oct 15, 2007
    Destrehan, La.
    I understand what your saying, and it's true the justice system is screwed up, especially the one over on Tulane and Broad. Also I don't like how each state is different on how and when convicted felons get there rights back. But agree, whats the difference, our tax dollars locking them up and taking care of them of our tax dollars taking care of them on the systems like welfare, food stamps, ect...

OneStory

Warrior in God's Army
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Wandering
    He certainly can. And then he can go to jail for breaking the law.

And since we're playing the "hypotheticals that conveniently make our point" game, let's rewind a bit...what if the person that was going to harm his family was also an ex-con, and was stopped for an expired brake tag on the way to murder Billy Ray and his family. Instead, thanks to the laws in place, he was arrested for having a gun in his possession and sent to jail. Billy Ray and all of his peeps are safe and sound tucked in bed, and another criminal is behind bars. Yay!

What if the person stopped for the expired brake tag was simply driving home with his family?

The way I'd prefer our system to work isn't what we have now. When one part of a system breaks and isn't fixed, the other parts have to compensate while doing a poor job of it. At some point, we have to fix the pieces, usually one at a time, and that causes more problems.

Restoring the protection of the right to bear arms is important to me. Maybe an option could be offered: Get out of prison now with limited rights or stay longer with all rights restored. But with other parts of the system broken (letting cons out early for a multitude of reasons for example) that idea wouldn't work well.

I'm for doing things the hard way in the short term and reaping the benefits in the long. Sadly, most Americans are too lazy to do the same.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I won't argue the system isn't completely jacked up, we all know that's true. But until they fix it (which will NEVER happen), I'd rather err on the side of the safety of me and my family.

Besides, no one is denied their right to bear arms. Last I checked, everyone in this country is born with the right to bear arms. Nothing is stolen. You know the rules, if you CHOOSE to commit a felony, you SACRIFICE your right to bear arms.

Bryan

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2007
    Hammond, LA
    It all boils down to accountability. People are no longer held accountable for their actions. The rules aren't fair, the laws aren't fair, the punishment isn't fair, the fact that John makes more money than Jim isn't fair. The choices you make as an individual affect your future. If you make the wrong choices, you have to deal with the consequences. If you break a law, you know what the risks are. If you still choose to break that law don't cry if you feel the punishment isn't fair or just. It's no secret that being convicted of a felony has consequences. Are the risks worth the reward? The CHOICE is yours. Choose wisely.

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    Well, no one asked but if it were up to me there would be a process that at least self protection could be restored. In my mind though once the sentence is served rights should be restored. Let the suspension of rights be a part of the criminal trial results if we just gotta do that.

As someone who has been locked up and charged while innocent lets believe it can and does happen that innocents fall into the system. I however was no billed when rational people heard the facts but thats not always so.

Also there is law in effect now that lets a person apply to have rights restored after certain times, I'm not familar enough to quote this one though.

OneStory

Warrior in God's Army
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Wandering
    I'm more concerned about myself than the truly Bad Guys. The way our nation/laws are going, I'm likely to be a felon, in the future, just doing what I know is right.

If you are a gun owning, self-reliant, family loving, constitutionalist - you are likely to be a felon in the future as well.

I'm probably overly sensitive on this matter. I enjoyed reading the posts and respect the opinions posted.

God speed!

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    The justice system is flawed dearly. Crimnials that should be given a second chance sometimes are not and criminals that should never see green grass again do sometimes.
    It would be very expensive to lock criminals away for the time they truly deserve, however I refuse to bend my opinions on the US constitution for monetary reasons.
    Stop compromising and things will improve, yes it will take some time though.
    Stricter punishments and the legalization of things that should not be a crime in the first place will create a safer society IMO.

Top Bottom