Mandeville "Hero" to be Prosecuted?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    Lol agreed, I would now do things differently. But if I were in this guys shoes? I'm not sure. I may have called the police as soon as this guy got irate and was apparently drunk. I may not have directly intervened but I very well could have decided to get his LP# being that he was irate, intoxicated, and getting into a vehicle.

After this incident, if placed in a similar situation, I will try to be more "sneaky" and less obvious if I were to take down a plate number from someone who has already proven himself to be combative. Also, just like after the Zimmerman incident (not at all comparing the two in the least) I learned that if you are going to carry, perhaps toting some pepper spray as well would create some options if **** goes down.

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    I can't judge this guy to hard. I don't think I would have went back into the store, I likely would have just gone else ware, but I also can't say he should have left. I feel this is a far cry from a Zimmerman type scenario. This situation has always concerned me though. I'm non-confrontational, not the type to agitate someone into a fight, and will avoid one with some random jackass at the cost of looking like a fool or punk or whatever, but when you are carrying, you really can't afford to lose a physical confrontation. If you are caught backed into a corner and some dufus is pushing you and coming at you, what are you really supposed to do? I guess the learning moment is don't let that EVER HAPPEN! I'm 6 foot, 160 lbs., decently fit, but there are PLENTY of people out there who could take me in a fight, and I don't think I would bet my life that I could win. I was a teenager once, and I know how it goes when some drunk ass thinks you looked at him funny and won't take an apology, at that time nothing less than a fight will satisfy him. Seems like this was that scenario, the dead guy being that teen that never grew up. Lesson I learned (and really already knew)? Just leave. Keep your eye on the exit, don't get backed into a corner. In the last 5 seconds before the guy was shot though, I don't see where there were to many other options that didn't risk him losing control of his firearm. Ultimately, the world is likely a slightly better place than it was on April 4th.

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Boy, no one can say that middle easterners aren't true capitalists. A doper/drunk is attacking another customer armed with a gun in his store, and he is worried that they may knock over his sunglass kiosk!

Kodiak1955

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2016
    Lacombe, La.
    Mandeville Shooter

Lol agreed, I would now do things differently. But if I were in this guys shoes? I'm not sure. I may have called the police as soon as this guy got irate and was apparently drunk. I may not have directly intervened but I very well could have decided to get his LP# being that he was irate, intoxicated, and getting into a vehicle.

The Police were called, Twice, the call came in as a Disturbance which is probably why it took them so long to get there, it wasn't till the third call that PD dispatch classified the incident as a shooting.

Last edited:

Kodiak1955

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2016
    Lacombe, La.
    Perhaps you are right. Can we agree though that this is a good learning moment? Knowing what I know now about this incident, I would have done things differently than this gentleman. Would you?

Edited to add: Obviously setting aside the ridiculousness of open carry as well.........

Vermiform, you do realize that sitting at home relaxed in front of your computer and saying you would do things differently is drastically different than being in the middle of a fast moving incident that gets down to you getting your ass handed to you or worse ,yours and possibly other innocent lives taken.

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts

My position is that there is no point to any of these types of threads unless we try to learn something and attempt to apply it in the unlikely event we find ourselves in a similar situation.

You just provided me with another learning moment. I just learned that you are stupid and not worth responding to any longer. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________

Kodiak1955

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2016
    Lacombe, La.
    Point is anyone can sit back and play Monday morning quarterback but when the real deal is happening no one can say what they would really do, you only have seconds to make life changing decisions either way. Someone please give Vermiform a chill pill, lol.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Point is anyone can sit back and play Monday morning quarterback but when the real deal is happening no one can say what they would really do, you only have seconds to make life changing decisions either way. Someone please give Vermiform a chill pill, lol.

Let's all take a chill pill and not argue with each other. Winner winner chicken dinner.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I think he did the right thing.
    If more people acted as he did this world would be a better place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If more people stopped using drugs, the world would be a better place.

I wouldn't need to carry a gun if I wasn't worried about wackjobs running around.

BeardedPatriot38

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2016
    New Iberia, Louisiana
    If more people stopped using drugs, the world would be a better place.

I wouldn't need to carry a gun if I wasn't worried about wackjobs running around.

Yea I agree with that. No more drugs, no more wackjobs, then everyone could hug and plant a ****ing tree. Until that day, I'll count on guns and guys like him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ronin1000

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    What I don’t understand is this, everyone keeps doing a point/counter point to if the guy should have went out there and got the plate number and gotten himself involved. So my question to the people that think that he shouldn’t have gotten involved, what would you want the stranger standing next to you to do if a bad situation happened to you? It is very easy to talk about what the man should have done but the core fact is that he first though was to identify a problem and then try to resolve it with the help of the police.
    As for the store clerk, it really does not matter what that person did or should have done, a hero is not someone that gets out of the way when trouble comes around. They are a person that stands in front of trouble and does what is right and what is needed. Not only for themselves, but for everyone else as well.
    More people need to stand up for what is right and stop turning the other way or one day someone may turn the other way when you are in need.
    Help others, be respectful and follow the law. That’s all we really need.
    I hope all goes well for him and I know that I will be donating to help.

Top Bottom