Manual transmissions getting rarer in the US

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    I love a stick as much as the next guy, but auto is the way to go. They are more convenient, efficient, and provide better performance..... win/win/win

With "manual shift" modes you can even get most of the fun out of it. I love paddle shifting.

There are many things humans do better than computers.
    There are many things computers do better than humans. Shifting common cars is one of them.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    There are many things humans do better than computers.
    There are many things computers do better than humans. Shifting common cars is one of them.

Agreed. We had an AMG Mercedes up until 2013 and it had automatic shifting with 493 HP and 512 ft/lb of torque. The car shifted VERY fast and with all of the umph behind it, it was significantly faster than most of the cars on the streets. Having both hands on the steering wheel is a plus with an automatic if you doing any type of course with lots of turns, oh, and being able to hold a lady friend's hand while driving instead of having to go to a stick is an advantage as well.

I now see manual cars kind of like cars with manual rolling up and down of windows - sure, it worked in the past and gets the job done, but we are now in 2014 and automatic **** is just so much better. To each his own though.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    You should see the advantages of holding your lady friends hand on the stick while you both put 493 HP and 512 torque through the box.;)

God I want to make a joke right now, but it REALLY isn't appropriate for a public forum. I should totally move this to the premium section xD

Cochise

is not here
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Calhoun
    Automatics have come a long way, but manuals are so much more fun to drive, and to put it bluntly, f@ck a slap stick/paddle shift.

I know just how true that article is because I have a hell of a time trying to find affordable used manual cars. The last time I "had to have one" I looked for months and ended up having to choose between a Mazda and a VW GTI that I really couldn't afford.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I was referring to the innuendo, but Fahrvergnügen translates to driving enjoyment. It was an old Volkswagen ad campaign, guess I'm showing my age.

Oh. So the same innuendo I was referencing then likely. Got it.

--Sent From My Galaxy S4

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    For anyone interested, here is a pic of the woman from the article who says "I love to drive. I want to know that I am actually driving, that I am in control of the machine"

628x471.jpg

Vroom Vroom!

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    The irony is, in that mkVI GTI, the "automatic" is faster and gets better mpg. It's a Direct Shift Gearbox dual-clutch automated manual. Before we bought ours I drove the 6spd and the DSG, the traditional manual was slower and actually less fun I thought, and I'm a big driving enthusiast!

Rainsdrops

Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Nov 17, 2010
    Houma
    A lot of cars are being produced with paddle shift option automatics. They allow you to control up and downshifts.
    The automatic transmission has come along way.
    6 to 8 gear autos are a common thing now. A benefit that reduces the amount time, that's particular gear is under load. Which gives a longer transmission life.
    They ain't what they used to be

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Manaul transmission vehicle generally get better mileage and make more power because the parasitic power loss with an automatic is much higher than a manual. If your engine makes 500hp&500ft/lb, and your 4l80 reduces that power by 30%, you will be dominated in all categories by the guy running a t56 because he is getting a lot more power to the ground and getting much better mileage while doing it. Of course that assumes he can actually drive the 6 speed properly. The only times autos are favorable in racing is when they can shift faster than a human while not robbing a ton of power.

those facts were true a decade or two ago, 100%. Today you can't even order premium sports cars in a manual because it'd like ordering a cassette player.

Ferrari, Lambo, Pagadi, Bugatti, (and others) all make zero vehicles with manuals. soon to come is BMW and Audi (porsche is halfway there now). The auto's tear their tails up. Newer auto's have 7 and 8 gears, it literally shifts so seamlessly and quickly that you never feel or hear it happen. The power loss in most modern transmissions is ~12%, says motortrend. The vehicles are still faster because they have .220 shift times, and the fastest race car driver in the world has a .6 something. Anyone thats even amateur raced knows that 4 tenths is an eternity. Now multiply that times 4 gears, 1.6 sec quicker. Faster times doesn't always equate to the most power to the ground.

look around at newer gen muscle cars- the consensus is the auto is quicker, even in the 1/4 mile. And don't even get me started on bracket racing... they shouldn't be allowed, the advantage is too strong.

Last edited:

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    Although I love standards, they are a thing of the past. Yes, years ago if you were a great, not good, shifter you could clean house against an equal car with an auto. Seen plenty of this at the tracks doing club racing. Now, the autos are without question the way to go if you are racing or competing where a timer is involved. If you want to look cool and over rev your engine and have the limiter do its thing and dump the clutch for effect than its all right--just make sure you do it right. That stuff is for show and gets you nowhere. If I were to buy a newer performance type car I can assure you it will be an auto. Now don't get me wrong they are fun, and thank God they have classes for them (Stock and Superstock in drag racing and in vintage road racing bodies too). Key word here folks is the word Vintage-yes its old and in its time was King..not so today I'm afraid, and this coming from a late child of the Muscle Car era who loved everything standard behind a big block.

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    Everyone keeps talking about performance! I guess I'm a minority that cares about economics. They are cheaper to buy, cheaper to own, cheaper to replace and repair. I haven't even mentioned the savings on brakes. Even if newer automatics are marginally better on gas, manuals still come on top in long term ownership cost. I'll press my foot and move a stick around to save some money.

Ske1etor

BOOM! LEGSHOT!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 30, 2008
    Chacahoula, Louisiana
    Everyone keeps talking about performance! I guess I'm a minority that cares about economics. They are cheaper to buy, cheaper to own, cheaper to replace and repair. I haven't even mentioned the savings on brakes. Even if newer automatics are marginally better on gas, manuals still come on top in long term ownership cost. I'll press my foot and move a stick around to save some money.
    Agreed. I'm on the verge of trading my truck in for a wrangler, going with standard because auto 4x4 is for women at the mall.

JHenley17

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 21, 2013
    Prairieville
    I'll agree that autos (in many cases of racing and performance cars, they still have a clutch, but it's computer-controlled) offer better performance, but if I'm not planning on racing, marginal advantages mean dick to me, it's about having fun with the car.

Sent from my truck doing 85 down the interstate.

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    The first new car I ever bought was a 1980 Toyota Celica GT with a 5 speed manual transmission. I loved that car and drove it for 23 years until it gave up the ghost.

These days, when I dream that I'm driving, it's still that car. And sometimes when I'm a little tired while driving, my hands and feet still instinctively reach for the non-existent clutch and stick in my Chrysler Town and Country minivan.

Things change.

Top Bottom