Manual transmissions getting rarer in the US

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    Automatic slushbox no thanks. You can add paddle shifts to a slushbox but it's still a slushbox.

Manual transmission, what is this 1993? Freakin old guys and a handful of manual snobs are the only ones who still want a stick, but they don't actually go out and buy cars so none of the manufacturers care.

Dual clutch FTW.

JHenley17

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 21, 2013
    Prairieville
    Some by plainly admitting they like automatic better because they can't do certain things, others by trying to justify their disdain because there's something newer and more advanced. That, or they race everywhere they go and need to shave 0.024 seconds off their commute.

Sent from my truck doing 85 down the interstate.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Some by plainly admitting they like automatic better because they can't do certain things, others by trying to justify their disdain because there's something newer and more advanced. That, or they race everywhere they go and need to shave 0.024 seconds off their commute.

Sent from my truck doing 85 down the interstate.

I can quite certainly say that i've mastered both, I'm just saying that if your argument for manual is cause its actually driving, you're right. If your argument has anything to do with it being mechanically superior, you're dead wrong. I've raced pro street, autocross, drag, and rally and I've used both transmissions. I'm here to tell ya that auto's crush manuals to the point where it isn't even fair. It was brought up in this thread as a "its better gas mileage/performance/awesome", so thats where those comments come from.

If you like playing with your stick, say so. Reality is that it simply isn't superior if said vehicle is younger than a decade. What it sounds like to me is you haven't mastered using your free hand on the lady beside ya...

edit: hey, some people swear that vinyl is still better than mp3. They're wrong in every measurable way, but those people just won't be convinced. I think the auto v manual is in the same boat.

Last edited:

buttanic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    LaPlace, LA
    Surprised she didn't like the paddle shift. My 335i (RIP) had the paddle and it was absolutely glorious. Most fun I've ever had in a car, but hoping my december delivery changes that :)

My wife's Mini has paddle shifters, I don't like them and never use them. My last standard shift car was a 98 Corvette. My M151 military jeep has standard but it isn't exactly a daily driver or sporty.

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    From Wabbit....

" hey, some people swear that vinyl is still better than mp3. They're wrong in every measurable way, but those people just won't be convinced. I think the auto v manual is in the same boat."

--- Pretty much sums it up..Good arguments from both sides whether you got what you got for fun, economy, or true performance and it is what it is for each one individually..As long as you get satisfaction, then thats all that matters.

Last edited:

SteelHorseCowboy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2014
    Sterlington, Louisiana
    Hybrid cars are where it's at for the $ for gas.
    If GM hadn't completely and totally killed American confidence in small diesels in cars back in the 70's, we'd be seeing better gains in fuel economy than with hybrids, most of which I personally would have to own with minimal cost of ownership for several years beyond payoff (if financing new) to make up for the cost of buying one.

A base prius costs ten thousand more than what I paid for my car. Gets better gas mileage, sure, but I put more miles on my bike than my car, and my bike gets comparable mileage.

But that only counts for the NEW ones. Previous gen hybrids weren't as good.

Yeah, in the future, as hybrids do even better and get cheaper, they'll be the way to go.

But we really need to be more concerned with moving away from gasoline altogether and into alternative fuels, and stop putting all our eggs in the one basket of better economy.

Come if you must, but only if you must. For the day you find yourself upon my step shall be the night you find peace along Jordan's edge.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    SHC, If you are referring to the 5.7 Liter gas engine converted to diesel by GM that is not a small diesel engine for a car. A 5.7 Liter diesel in a car is pretty big.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    If GM hadn't completely and totally killed American confidence in small diesels in cars back in the 70's, we'd be seeing better gains in fuel economy than with hybrids, most of which I personally would have to own with minimal cost of ownership for several years beyond payoff (if financing new) to make up for the cost of buying one.

A base prius costs ten thousand more than what I paid for my car. Gets better gas mileage, sure, but I put more miles on my bike than my car, and my bike gets comparable mileage.

But that only counts for the NEW ones. Previous gen hybrids weren't as good.

Yeah, in the future, as hybrids do even better and get cheaper, they'll be the way to go.

But we really need to be more concerned with moving away from gasoline altogether and into alternative fuels, and stop putting all our eggs in the one basket of better economy.

Come if you must, but only if you must. For the day you find yourself upon my step shall be the night you find peace along Jordan's edge.

I'll say this. The torque in electric vehicles is incredible. Watched a tesla (runs on laptop batteries) destroy 911's and vette's all night in fayetteville last year. That is the future my friends.

Oh, and it was an automatic - tesla, like ferrari, lambo, etc doesn't make manuals.

SteelHorseCowboy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2014
    Sterlington, Louisiana
    SHC, If you are referring to the 5.7 Liter gas engine converted to diesel by GM that is not a small diesel engine for a car. A 5.7 Liter diesel in a car is pretty big.
    Yes, that is the one I'm referring to. However big it was, Americans were disenchanted with diesel cars until fairly recently.

SteelHorseCowboy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2014
    Sterlington, Louisiana
    I'll say this. The torque in electric vehicles is incredible. Watched a tesla (runs on laptop batteries) destroy 911's and vette's all night in fayetteville last year. That is the future my friends.

Oh, and it was an automatic - tesla, like ferrari, lambo, etc doesn't make manuals.
    They have no power curve. 100% of the power and torque is available immediately. And I'm not too sure on the transmission, whether they have direct drive or if it even goes through a tranny.

Last edited:

buttanic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    LaPlace, LA
    I had a 1984 diesel Suburban, 6.2L V8, 135 HP, 20 MPG city, 24 MPG highway, 17 MPG pulling a 5500 pound boat and 800 pounds of folks and diving gear. This was not a converted gas engine, it was designed as a diesel. They could do it even better today with electronic engine and transmission control. A 4 or 6 cylinder, 200 HP diesel in a 1/2 ton truck or SUV would rock.

Last edited:

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I think you will see some small diesel pickups available from the big 3 in the next year.

drumz2129

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Sulphur, La.
    I had a 1884 diesel Suburban, 6.2L V8, 135 HP, 20 MPG city, 24 MPG highway, 17 MPG pulling a 5500 pound boat and 800 pounds of folks and diving gear. This was not a converted gas engine, it was designed as a diesel. They could do it even better today with electronic engine and transmission control. A 4 or 6 cylinder, 200 HP diesel in a 1/2 ton truck or SUV would rock.

+1 on the old 6.2l Diesels.

I have been in many arguments with people claiming that the 6.2 was a converted 350.

I have a 1984 K5 with the factory 6.2L with over 325K miles that has never been into (other than maintenance items like oil pump and rear main seal). I bought it with 175K miles and used it as my DD through out college. @ 195K miles I put a ATS turbo on it which really woke it up. ATS claimed a boost to 190hp, IIRC. After the turbo, I used could nurse 26 mpg on the highway out of a nearly 5000lb 4x4 with 31" tires. Since then it has had many non fuel efficient upgrades so I dont even bother checking the mileage, but I'm sure its not far under 20mpg.

I would like to see efficient diesels back in the 1/2 ton and even 1/4 ton market. My dad has a nice collection of isuzu pups and even a s-10 that all have the original 2.2l isuzu I-4 diesel engine, most with manual transmissions. One is a regular cab, with a short bed/camper shell combo, has a 5 speed manual and hwy gears in the rear (i believe 3.73:1) and gets 41-42 mpg on the highway.

I thought this thread was about transmissions though...

buttanic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    LaPlace, LA
    +1 on the old 6.2l Diesels.

I have been in many arguments with people claiming that the 6.2 was a converted 350.

I have a 1984 K5 with the factory 6.2L with over 325K miles that has never been into (other than maintenance items like oil pump and rear main seal). I bought it with 175K miles and used it as my DD through out college. @ 195K miles I put a ATS turbo on it which really woke it up. ATS claimed a boost to 190hp, IIRC. After the turbo, I used could nurse 26 mpg on the highway out of a nearly 5000lb 4x4 with 31" tires. Since then it has had many non fuel efficient upgrades so I dont even bother checking the mileage, but I'm sure its not far under 20mpg.

I would like to see efficient diesels back in the 1/2 ton and even 1/4 ton market. My dad has a nice collection of isuzu pups and even a s-10 that all have the original 2.2l isuzu I-4 diesel engine, most with manual transmissions. One is a regular cab, with a short bed/camper shell combo, has a 5 speed manual and hwy gears in the rear (i believe 3.73:1) and gets 41-42 mpg on the highway.

I thought this thread was about transmissions though...

The Suburban had a transmission so I guess the thread is still on track.

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    6.2 gets a bad rap. It was never meant for power, it was meant for fuel savings and if not over revved would last a long time.
    It was much more manageable with the sm465 than with the array of autos that could be had with it though.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SSWEEEE
    Top Bottom