Martial Arts in Baton Rouge?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vsotok10

Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 2, 2010
    CENLA
    I'm way beyond competition age, but I still train in Taekwondo and Iaido. I've heard good things about this jiu jitsu school. http://www.heiwashin.org/

If you want a traditional style with the opportunity to compete in Judo than this is the perfect dojo. I studied there for 6 years and Sensei Carver is very knowledgeable and well-rounded without being pushy or a "tough guy". The sensei is a 7th Dan in Jujitsu, 5th in Judo, and 3rd in Shodokan (sp?) who is aided by several students who have risen through the ranks there and continued to stick around after making 1st Dan.

The kids Judo program is phenomenal, they regualry win tournaments and championships - the adult's curriculum varies, alterating between competitive Judo and soft self-defense i.e. striking is not emphasised.

I am obviously biased but do give the dojo a try, you won't be dissappointed.

Bayoupiper

New Curmudgeon
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Iowa, LA
    If you want a traditional style with the opportunity to compete in Judo than this is the perfect dojo. I studied there for 6 years and Sensei Carver is very knowledgeable and well-rounded without being pushy or a "tough guy". The sensei is a 7th Dan in Jujitsu, 5th in Judo, and 3rd in Shodokan (sp?) who is aided by several students who have risen through the ranks there and continued to stick around after making 1st Dan.

The kids Judo program is phenomenal, they regualry win tournaments and championships - the adult's curriculum varies, alterating between competitive Judo and soft self-defense i.e. striking is not emphasised.

I am obviously biased but do give the dojo a try, you won't be dissappointed.

I hear good things about them too!

pyreaux

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 5, 2009
    BRLA
    Look into Wall to Wall for a great judo dojo. Our club here in Lafayette is real close to them. They actually ran a tournament last Saturday and had a great turnout. I am pretty sure they also teach Akido but I am not 100% on that. I know they just moved from Walker and are doing well at their new location. Our club is actually going to go there in a few weeks for my 3rd degree brown belt (sankyu). Their head instructor James Wall is a 3rd or 4th degree black belt, I am not 100% on that either.

Second these guys, James is a good guy and recently received his 4th degree. http://www.wallmartialarts.com/

There is also American Fight Club on Antioch near tiger bend, run by the former instructor of the LSU Judo club. I am not sure what the class schedule looks like now, but I can get you in touch with them, PM me if you want the contact info. They offer at least Judo and BJJ and do compete regularly if you're interested. They have also brought in several high level competitors to teach clinics from time to time.

Lenny Reno

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    NOLA Metro Area
    For Shotokan, Mikami has instrctors all over the state. I hope you find the school you are looking for. If not, feel free to check out White Crane Kung Fu in Baton Rouge.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    For Shotokan, Mikami has instrctors all over the state. I hope you find the school you are looking for. If not, feel free to check out White Crane Kung Fu in Baton Rouge.

Both very well known in their respective styles.

Top Bottom