Mechanical broadhead

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Log Island

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    Lafayette
    Why are you considering switching? Had a bad experience? Just looking for a better mousetrap?
    Personally, I've been shooting Gators for over 12+yrs, and have found no reason to look for a better expandable. (Gators were Rocky Mountain's expandable PRIOR to the Rage; I bought @ 10 packs of 3 when I found out they were being discontinued) this will probably be my last season with them before I'll have to find another model, as I'm almost out.
    FWIW, I don't think you'll find an expandable that is much better, in any appreciable way, than a Rage.
    Now, I'm sure someone will jump on and say I'm wrong....just my $.02.
    Good luck this season!

tas745

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Central, Louisiana
    Not any particular reason it is just all I ever used and i has wondering if there was anything better
    If I had to pick I reason it would be that the practice points are killing my my target

Laid Back

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Livingston Parish
    Not the popular choice but I have been using Muzzy 3 blade for years and have had zero problems, so why switch? Nothing wrong with Rage from what I've seen but I am just stubborn I guess.

candrews86

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2012
    Lake Charles
    I've always heard Rage broad heads were great products, no personal experience though. I've been using G5 Montec's fixed broad heads the past few years, always went thru the deer and haven't had one go more than 100 yards and that's with 11 deer. Shot placement is everything. I'm old fashioned, mechanicals make me nervous.:chuckles:

DoubleJ

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    New Iberia,LA
    If you want to stay Mechanical..Reapers or the Rage Hypodermics

If the practice points are killing your target..Tune your bow properly so that your field tips fly the same as the broadhead/practice pt. Bam problem solved.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I think archery broad heads are like fishing lures; they catch more people with their looks than their intended targets.

No fancy mechanical ever killed anything more than any fixed blade broad head when shot placement wasn't an issue. I am all in on Thunderhead 100's and HellRazor fixed.

Until we can clinically test a live animal, shoot it with a broad head, revive it, repair the wound, and perform the test over and over again to determine which broad head killed the test animal faster and more efficiently each time before, worry more about your shot placement and SAVE THE MONEY! ;)

Another factor to consider is reusability! Mechanicals and expandable heads get more easily destroyed than fixed blades.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom