Medical Marijuana Card Holders Cannot Buy Guns says ATF

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Being in the business of buying and selling guns, I have to say I support the measure. I don't want Stoner and Bob Rocks to come buy a handgun or AK-47 without any legal resistance. Or buy a breaching shotgun and start busting down doors to fall asleep on my couch......

Fixed. :D

JLouv

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Youngsville
    I think he'd be shocked to learn the number of genuinely good people in this state (on the board too probably) that use marijuna for legitimate medical purposes despite the fact that its currently illegal here in la.

The worst thing I've ever seen a stoned person do was nothing. Nothing at all. Second worst thing I've witnessed is what they do to an industrial sized bag of Funyuns.

<<Sent via an old computer in my grandmother's basement>>kiooo

Trey@IG

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Northshore of Chocolate City
    the worst thing ive done while i was high (before i joined the Corps btw) was make a ketchup sandwich.......yes, i said a ketchup sandwich. we were out of tostinos pizzas and doritos; and yes, i still get made fun of for it and probably will again on this board but you know what!? :fawk:

JLouv

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Youngsville
    That's funny because my 4yo girl LOVES ketchup sandwiches. And I don't think she smokes.

Way way way back when.....worst thing I ever did was giggle till it hurt at something that wasn't really that funny.

<<There is a better than average chance this post contains sarcasm>>

Armnhammer

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Walker/Denham
    There are no tales of horror or trails of bodies behind Marijuana. If it was out of alcohol or Marijuana I say the safer bet is the latter. All of the lies have been exposed and the myths busted. America is really warming up to legalization. Arkansas will be the first southern state to vote on this in November.

Cochise

is not here
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Calhoun
    There are no tales of horror or trails of bodies behind Marijuana. If it was out of alcohol or Marijuana I say the safer bet is the latter. All of the lies have been exposed and the myths busted. America is really warming up to legalization. Arkansas will be the first southern state to vote on this in November.

Not behind its use, no, but there are plenty of bodies behind its illegal cultivation and distribution. The only BAD thing about marijuana is the cartels and the dealers who supply it and the only way they will ever be put out of business for good is when it is available legally. America learned this same lesson pretty quickly with the alcohol prohibition. For the life of me, I can't figure out why it has taken us this long to "figure out" the same lesson in regards to weed.

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    Not behind its use, no, but there are plenty of bodies behind its illegal cultivation and distribution. The only BAD thing about marijuana is the cartels and the dealers who supply it and the only way they will ever be put out of business for good is when it is available legally. America learned this same lesson pretty quickly with the alcohol prohibition. For the life of me, I can't figure out why it has taken us this long to "figure out" the same lesson in regards to weed.

Big Corporation is the main reason. The legalization of MJ would be a major threat to many raw materials and products that Corporate America gets its $ from. Not to mention the hurt it would put on pharmaceutical companies as it would be a very cheap/free & legal replacement of numerous medications. Then, let's not count out the millions that certain political figures get as payoffs from the cartels to look the other way.

That last one was based on speculation, but I would be willing to put my $ on it being unsurprisingly true.

Last edited:

JLouv

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Youngsville
    +10

Legalize it. Tax the hell out if it.

However, a good many jobs out there, like mine, will and rightly should forbid use regardless. But if you're shuffling paper 10hrs a day in a cell, i mean office someplace....what's the harm?

JLouv

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Youngsville
    Big Corporation is the main reason. The legalization of MJ would be a major threat to many raw materials and products that Corporate America gets its $ from.

For example? I don't follow your logic.

JLouv

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Youngsville
    Cool. But I don't buy your argument. If anything, legalization would lead to greater supply, thus cheaper prices. It'd be good business. Especially when those companies that use the product instantly have an entirely new market for their "waste byproduct".

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    Cool. But I don't buy your argument. If anything, legalization would lead to greater supply, thus cheaper prices. It'd be good business. Especially when those companies that use the product instantly have an entirely new market for their "waste byproduct".

What about lumber companies, pesticide companies, cotton producers, ect..

There are many businesses that would be crippled by the legalization of Hemp/Marijuana. There would also be great opportunities as well, and that's kind of my argument here. Hemp is easy to grow, doesn't require a bunch of pesticides, has many different industrial uses and its CHEAP to grow.

Last edited:

JLouv

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Youngsville
    I'm sorry. I fail to see how an increased supply of raw materials would hurt a business that must purchase it. No more red tape required to procure the raw material. Lower acquisition cost. Increased competition would benefit consumers at the end of the chain.

I reckon those companies that use it are already paying some kind of tax or permit for it so that wouldn't be a factor.

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    Let me put it like this.

Hemp/MJ farming = less demand for other things such as lumber, cotton, certain plastics, pesticides, ect...

Marijuana legalization = free or very cheap and widely available "cure-all" medicine.

ETA: Maybe pesticides is a bad example, as other crops will still be farmed

Last edited:

JLouv

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Youngsville
    That's a rather extremist view IMO.

Sure it may impact some markets, but overall, it would take years for hemp overtake current commercial products, cotton being my prime example here. Those companies would adapt. Otherwise, those products that currently contain it would be cheaper. New products would be developed. i think the end of the total equation wouldn't show a net loss.....it'd be more of a realignment of product manufacturing.

And what's wrong not cutting down a few trees? Lumber will be around for a long time to come.

I think we'd both be surprised to learn than some companies are actually banking on future legalization. I've no proof, but I believe more and more people see the writing on the proverbial wall.

Last edited:

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    Well, I just educated myself on the "paper from hemp" thing. Apparently it is rather expensive to process into a usable material for paper. Part of the reason is due to storage and handling of the hemp.

Maybe I jumped the gun on this before doing my own research and just spouting what I have heard. Going to be reading up on this subject more. One thing I did read is that back in the early 1900's, the cotton farmers lobbied against hemp farming to have it banned.

Trey@IG

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Northshore of Chocolate City
    +10

Legalize it. Tax the hell out if it.

However, a good many jobs out there, like mine, will and rightly should forbid use regardless. But if you're shuffling paper 10hrs a day in a cell, i mean office someplace....what's the harm?

i dont think any job should forbid it entirely. i think it should be like alcohol. you cant come to work drunk. you shouldnt be able to go to work high or drive high either. if you want to smoke a doobie when you get home then by all means, but its not like it still impairs you when it wears off.

i dont know if i should be glad that im not the only one thats eaten a ketchup sandwich or embarassed thats its a 4 yr old......

Armnhammer

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Walker/Denham
    Marihuana is a threat to alcohol and tobacco companies. In states where mmj is legal alcohol use has dropped and mmj use among teens has also dropped. It takes the risky edge of it being illegal away. But as for hemp that should have been legal. It was mandatory that farmers grew hemp at one point. The uses go on forever from insulation to nutritious food to clean burning fuel/oil.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Donut Man
    Top Bottom