Milano's Pizzeria in Metairie

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tibodoe

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    Went to Metairie the other day. My daughter needed a new pair of ballet pointe shoes.
    Next to the shoe store I see Milano's Pizzeria. I start thinking about an old Italian family,
    and recipes passed down from generation. I walked in and to my surprise it was a 70 something
    Chinese man. I was skeptical, but hungry, so I ordered a large pepperoni pizza. When we got the
    pizza we were pleasantly surprised. The cracker thin crust was perfect, and the sauce and cheese were
    excellent. All in all one of the top 2 or 3 pizzas I have ever had. Kind of surprising coming from a
    China man on Cleary blvd.

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    New York pizza....pfft, Heathens!!! :D:D

** Actually, That's Amore also has pretty good thin crust pizza too. ;) However I am gonna try this new place. Always looking for good pizza that is not the usual chain slop, Domino's/Pappa Johns/etc

Last edited:

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    I can appreciate any great pizza, deep or thin.
    A friend of mine in town built his own brick pizza oven ($$$) and makes a killer thin crust while I usually make a monster deep dish in a large number 12 cast iron skillet.
    But I must be honest and give him the edge for now.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.

** Actually, That's Amore also has pretty good thin crust pizza too. ;) However I am gonna try this new place. Always looking for good pizza that is not the usual chain slop, Domino's/Pappa Johns/etc

Slice for some of their stuff. I don't like their pasta dishes but like the pizza & salads. The waitresses tend to have the grunge look but are very nice & good at serving.

New York Pizza & Cafe Roma (on Wall) can work too. When NY Pizza was next to Angelo Brocata's that was not a place to go on a diet. I used to go to Mark Twain on Metairie road. I have even had exceptional pizza at Pizza Inn (25ish years ago). Not a big fan of Huey P. but the calamari there was worth the trip.
    Truth is I just don't get out like I used to. Plus things change and what was awesome may fade away.

I make pizza at home, which can be fun. I like to cook the crust a little first. The number one thing about pizza for me is all ingredient need to be cooked and of good quality.

Do you remember Shakeys?

Devilneck

S&W Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Slidell
    You should try That's Amore on West Metairie. Best Chicago deep dish in town!

I'm going to try this place. I like pizza. It's all yankee pizza as far as I'm concerned. NY, Chicago.. I don't care. Just so long as I don't have do go to either place to get it, I'm fine.

spec50trout

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Wow, Shakey's. Some fond childhood memories there. Remember the potatoes? Had to look up Shakey's it looks like most are in CA now, with a couple in WA. Wonder if it's still the same.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    We went to Tower of Pizza on Vets not long ago. Excellent. I hadn't been there since they were on Dowman Rd. The original owner was a fried of my grandfather's. He'd tell me to come eat, he'd send the bill to my grandpa! Bring your wife, bring your girlfriend, hell, bring both! he'd tell me. Funny guy, good pizza....

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    BTW, if you're in the mood for pizza next Monday (1/13/14), please give Mellow Mushroom on Vets a try. If you mention St Michael's special school they give 10% to the school. THANKS!

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    Shakeys, oh man had some good times there. Moe's is good in westwego.

I think it is just Mo's with no E. Not my favorite but I do enjoy it. The owner is a good guy too.

Shakey's in Gretna was almost ahead of my time. I know a lot of people with stories from there or the trampolines. We would go there after high school football games.

I have some leftovers of the one I made on Sunday I am trying to save for my wife and it ain't easy.

Devilneck

S&W Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Slidell
    I'm going to try this place. I like pizza. It's all yankee pizza as far as I'm concerned. NY, Chicago.. I don't care. Just so long as I don't have do go to either place to get it, I'm fine.

Let me preface with a reminder that I do not discriminate when it comes to pizza. If it's good, it's good. Being from here, I have no care to give about Chicago or NY style. They're both Yankee Pizza.

Friday I took the family to That's Amore after I finished work.

It was well worth the drive from Slidell. I will be going back as often as the craving for the best doggone pizza I've had in the NOLA area returns.
    We ordered everything at once. They suggest you call ahead for a Chicago style, but we were getting both types so it worked out well.
    Started with Mozarella sticks and drinks.

Shortly after we finished that off, the NY style arrived. Excellent.

The NY style pizza, we ordered a Canadian Bacon and Pepperoni. It was perfect. Thin crust, kind of cracker-like, but not crumbly. The sauce was excellent, sweet and a touch of garlic. Plenty of cheese, and it wasn't overly greasy. Very little grease actually.

The Chicago Style.. Meat lovers with Feta and Onions added. This was the best Chicago style I've had. Ever. The crust was very much like the NY style, but turned up on the edges so it could be filled, and it was FILLED!!
    The pizza was an inch deep with toppings, assembled in the correct Chicago way.

This was no cheap dinner, $80 something with tip. The Chicago style was expensive, but with how filled it was, I can see why.
    I took home the leftovers and ate pizza most of the weekend.

I am going back, hopefully soon.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    This was no cheap dinner, $80 something with tip.

For how many people? How much you think you could have cut it down to?

One of the places I can eat cheaply happens to depend on ordering just enough.
    I can do lunch or dinner for as little as $3.50 to $5.50 for me. Of course some of that depends on how hungry I am and how much I bat cleanup for the rest of the family. But I have eaten dinner for less than $10.00 a head for a group of 9 !!
    Not drinking alcohol & not getting appetizers is my standard MO. That helps
    One caveat is some of it is "managing my expectations". I have to go about once a week.

We might try both Amore and Milano's soon.

Last edited:

Devilneck

S&W Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Slidell

For how many people?

Three really, the baby doesn't count. We had three drinks, mozzarella sticks, two pizzas. The big cost was the Chicago style. We didn't need two pizza's, but wife wanted NY style, and doesn't like Feta, and Onions. It could/would have been much cheaper otherwise.
    The NY style was <$20. The Chi style was ~$30. The appetizer was ~$6. Drinks were around $2 each. Plus tip.

JB-Glock21

Old School
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    Denham Springs
    Yep! Shakey's in Gretna....absolute best pizza ever!!! And they served Lowenbrau Dark on tap (Lowembrau was really good back then - Now brewed by Miller and it is terrible!!) ...spent many a time with my GF, now my wife and we quite often lament no more Shakey's.

Good to see other's liked it too. There was also one in Pensacola.

Remember these saying on the walls...."If you value your hat and coat, wear them!" "Don't complain about the coffee, remember someday you will be old and weak too"

"Help keep Shakey's green, bring money"

Last edited:

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    Three really, the baby doesn't count. We had three drinks, mozzarella sticks, two pizzas. The big cost was the Chicago style. We didn't need two pizza's, but wife wanted NY style, and doesn't like Feta, and Onions. It could/would have been much cheaper otherwise.
    The NY style was <$20. The Chi style was ~$30. The appetizer was ~$6. Drinks were around $2 each. Plus tip.

That puts into perspective. Managing a family plan around what every body likes is never easy. Half of mine ain't picky. Sometimes they straight up cock block me though!!

I looked at their menu on line and it seems in line with quality pizza prices. At least you had a to go box.

Top Bottom