Militarization of police

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    They probably got them close to or free, will use them at parades, show and tell kinda stuff and will sell them for scrap once they see they maintenance costs.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    Doesn't bother me, police should be as equipped as possible when executing warrants, etc.

What bothers me more is aggressive traffic enforcement ;)

buttanic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    LaPlace, LA
    There is also the mentality that we(police) have all these neat toys and we want to use them. The LEO with no body armor and a 38 special revolver may think twice before escalating a situation.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    The biggest problem I see with these MRAPS, BEARCATS and all the other Military Style Vehicles,
    is maintenance.

When they break....and they WILL BREAK(like all Military Vehicles)
    when they break these Local Police Forces will NOT be able to fix or much less afford to anyway.
    When the tie rod breaks on the MRAP, Joe's Mechanic shop down the street working on Crown Vics
    is not going to be able to just order you a new one from NAPA and slap it on there.

...and they're surely not going to be able to just drive it to Fort Polk to have it worked on.

So then what? The same thing that is happening to lots of HMMWV's that Departments already have.
    They're parked and rust away until sold for little to nothing in some auction.

But how you going to sale an MRAP at an Auction? to who?

Guess we'll know in the coming years b/c these vehicles require Special Mechanics and special tools.

That may give some entrepreneurs out there a heads up.
    Become an MRAP Tech and open up your own shop, reap the benefits. :dunno:

Last edited:

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    There is also the mentality that we(police) have all these neat toys and we want to use them. The LEO with no body armor and a 38 special revolver may think twice before escalating a situation.

Not sure I follow you....:confused:

buttanic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    LaPlace, LA
    The biggest problem I see with these MRAPS, BEARCATS and all the other Military Style Vehicles,
    is maintenance.

When they break....and they WILL BREAK(like all Military Vehicles)
    when they break these Local Police Forces will NOT be able to fix or much less afford to anyway.
    When the tie rod breaks on the MRAP, Joe's Mechanic shop down the street working on Crown Vics
    is not going to be able to just order you a new one from NAPA and slap it on there.

...and they're surely not going to be able to just drive it to Fort Polk to have it worked on.

So then what? The same thing that is happening to lots of HMMWV's that Departments already have.
    They're parked and rust away until sold for little to nothing in some auction.

But how you going to sale an MRAP at an Auction? to who?

Guess we'll know in the coming years b/c these vehicles require Special Mechanics and special tools.

That may give some entrepreneurs out there a heads up.
    Become an MRAP Tech and open up your own shop, reap the benefits. :dunno:

Military vehicle collectors.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    They might be a little leary of doing a no knock raid in the middle of the night without body armor, night vision, M4's and all the other goodies.

Okay. Well, I disagree. Strongly.

The MRAP issue is one thing- but I have zero issues with those other items. Those guys aren't dealing with choir boys, buddy.

Vsotok10

Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 2, 2010
    CENLA
    WTF does Baton Rouge PD need a MRAP for? It's enough for the LSP to own one MRAP which it can deploy around the state.

It should be an expensive and slow chore to mobilize a $500,000 tank against a dometic threat.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    WTF does Baton Rouge PD need a MRAP for? It's enough for the LSP to own one MRAP which it can deploy around the state.

It should be an expensive and slow chore to mobilize a $500,000 tank against a dometic threat.
    I see no reason they shouldn't have one if there is even a somewhat practical use to it. If they feel like it can help even a little bit, then why not? I would rather have over-prepared police than underprepared.

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge

So if the LSP MRAP is stationed in Shreveport and there's an active shooter situation with hostages taken in Baton Rouge, you'd be totally ok with the time it takes for them to drive the Bearcat from Shreveport to Baton Rouge when it would be easier for Baton Rouge to have their own?

Top Bottom