Mitt Romney's 47% speech

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    Bosco,

It wasn't a speech or prepared remarks of any kind. These were extemporaneous comments at a private fund raiser. Setting aside the comments for a moment, let's understand the context.

There are no extemporaneous comments from a presidential candidate. Everything he says - everything - is prepared, and is fodder for the opposition. If a candidate thinks he can make private comments while on the campaign trail, then he's too naive to be president.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    eekfacepalm.gif

So the retired elderly will 100% vote for Obama because they are part of that 46.4%?

Disabled veterans will 100% vote for Obama because they are part of that 46.4%?

Low income families that work their ass off for a living to make a better life for their family will 100% vote for Obama because they are part of that 46.4%?

The 46.4% is thrown around a lot by people who think that half the population is on food stamps and welfare. Look into the number, educate yourself, and then think before you make yourself look stupid in public.
    I was going to respond to dawg but this would've been pretty close to my response.

Coonie

Damn Yankee.
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Evanston IL
    Where ever he got his numbers from, he's close enough to make his point. But his point was more to inform his supporters who he'll focus on with most of his campaigning. Is he going to focus on Hollyweird, NYC or Chicago? probably not. Would he try in the rest of the states of California, New York or Illinois? He'd get much more votes but not enough to win the electoral votes in those states, so why waste the funds? Just like Obama going after the military vote, how much time and resources is he using to sway their vote?

Romney might alienate himself from the people who have a true need for public aid, but he's making a point about not chasing the "entitlement" voters.

Pacioli

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    One guy speaking to a crowd of people is giving a speech... You can't say he was just having a private conversation as he was the only one talking. Seems like a silly thing to argue over but hey I'm game let's argue about what a speech is or isn't instead of what was actually said. Your turn Pacioli.

No thanks. You and My-Rifle are clearly the intellectual heavy weights on the board.

Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    Lake Charles
    So people are getting mad at him for telling the truth? I guess what Oscar Wilde said was right.

"If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you."

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    47% is the number of people who don't pay taxes. However, that number includes those that pay taxes, but have it returned to them since they don't make enough. So it's not that high, but he means to be talking about the percentage (however much) that don't pay taxes and just mooch off the government teet.

The fact that it was so outrageous/offensive just shows that it struck home for a lot of Obama supporters.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    I don't think Romney is totally accurate regarding that 47%....

What's the point about just singling out only those who don't pay income tax as making up the Obama Base? :confused:

That's mean-spirited, in my opinion. :nono:

What about The Dead, illegal aliens, and the just plain stupid? To not include them in this conversation is not only misleading- it is just plain wrong. :dunno:

(Although they don't pay income tax, either...but they still deserve a shout-out)

Last edited:

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    That speech was a pretty big mistake IMO. The 47% figure includes the elderly who have spent their entire lives paying taxes and have retired. It also includes those who served in the military and have disabilities now that prevents them from working. It was a little irresponsible of him to state that the entire 47% were pretty much leeches who never put into the system.

This link breaks down that 47% http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/OTUS/mitt-romneys-47-percent-pay-income-taxes/story?id=17263629#.UFk_UY1lTrc

Did you mean to quote me? Because I have no clue wtf you're talking about.

The system is a Giant Ponzi scheme.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    MiyaMarukutsune
    Top Bottom