Muzzle brake question...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • acme_labs

Purveyor of randomness
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Baton Rougeish
    Has there ever been a study on muzzle brake design/head to head comparison? I am asking this because I have a friend who had cancer in his spine, and he has a remington pump 30'06, and it is too much recoil for his back. What would be the ideal muzzle brake for a sporting rifle like that?

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    I don't know. I don't think you'll find much in comparisons & not many objective opinions.

I do have a friend that had cancer & doesn't like much recoil due to a shoulder operation.

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    He might be fine getting a good recoil pad and putting that on top of a knoxx recoil reducing rifle stock.

bingo, and adding a good brake on top of that surely couldnt hurt. I'm guessing its a 7600, has he thought about maybe trading for/purchasing a7400/742 autoloader in similar caliber?

SKYWLKR

bread and circuses
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Feb 26, 2007
    A brake aint gonna help a 30-06 for that application.

My Brother had to go to a .308 auto cause his 30-06 was to much.

acme_labs

Purveyor of randomness
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Baton Rougeish
    Well, w/o the muzzle brake, the .50 BMG rifle would be un-durn-bearable, and I would think the .30'06 would benefit from a good muzzle brake. I have an old Cutts on an old browning light 12, and there is a difference.

SKYWLKR

bread and circuses
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Feb 26, 2007
    I think the .50 has Plenty of gases that utilize the brake.

The 30-06 was not tamed for my brother with a back problem with a regular pad with a limb saver on it, then to an auto. so he went to a .308 auto with a Big pad.

tmlowe

enthusiast in training
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    river ridge
    Is he really set on a 30-06? What and where is he hunting? He may not need anything that big and could get away with a smaller caliber.

CajunTim

Premium CoonAss Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2006
    Mandeville, LA
    I would give this a try first if it doesn't work you can still add a screw on brake.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/muzzle_brakes.htm
    There is another type of muzzle brake. These are "installed" by porting (drilling or cutting angled holes or slots into) the barrel itself. Such brakes avoid the added length and the slight bulge at the end of the barrel of a screw-on muzzle brake. They are a neater installation and cannot loosen with use. On the other hand, they slightly reduce bullet velocity, tend to collect fouling, make the barrel more difficult to clean, and, most importantly, cannot be removed.

Is he using this for hunting? Adding weight to the rifle itself will cut down on felt recoil. The cheapest way is to get some bits and start drilling some holes in the barrel, at the correct angle and spacing etc...

acme_labs

Purveyor of randomness
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Baton Rougeish
    Well, he doesn't have a lot of disposable income, and typically hunts whitetail around here, and would probably do ok with a .308 auto. Money is the issue though. Anyone here hunt with an SKS?

dmiculek

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 1, 2006
    Gramercy
    The best recoil reducing brakes will have baffles that the gas will strike and vent out the sides. The Miculek, Cooley and JP brakes are some of the better recoil reducing comps on the market. They are mainly used on AR type rifles both 223 and 308, but the idea is the same.

I know a few folks that have taken quite a few deer with the sks. It does the job just fine. Just have to know your limitations with the rifle.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    There's not a whole lot of difference ballistically between .30-.30 and 7.62 x 39, and I've never heard anyone complain about using .30-.30 on deer.

Wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to download the .30-06 some? You're hunting deer, not elk or moose. I know people that hunt deer with .223 even. You really don't need that much power. Rather than buying a new rifle, switch to a lighter bullet and bring the velocity down. If you don't reload you could try the lightest bullet available.
    I usually shoot .303 british in a light carbine, there's a noticeable difference in recoil between 150 and 180 grain bullet weights.

SKYWLKR

bread and circuses
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Feb 26, 2007
    I hunt with an SKS on occasion, I use the 154 grain stuff.

Down loading the 30-06 is a great Idea! Why didn't I think of that!

I think there is a reduced recoil or Managed recoil load off the shelf!

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    I hunt with an SKS on occasion, I use the 154 grain stuff.

Down loading the 30-06 is a great Idea! Why didn't I think of that!

I think there is a reduced recoil or Managed recoil load off the shelf!

I tried some REMINGTON reduced recoil loads for my son . There is a difference . That , along with a brake or porting might do the trick .

acme_labs

Purveyor of randomness
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Baton Rougeish
    Yeah, the reduced recoil loads sound good too. Might see about a brake adapter for a screw on brake, a good pad, and he ought to be good to go. Thanks for the pointers!

dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    The best recoil reducing brakes will have baffles that the gas will strike and vent out the sides. The Miculek, Cooley and JP brakes are some of the better recoil reducing comps on the market. They are mainly used on AR type rifles both 223 and 308, but the idea is the same.

I know a few folks that have taken quite a few deer with the sks. It does the job just fine. Just have to know your limitations with the rifle.

I have the Miculek brake on my DPMS .308. I don't know if it's the muzzle brake, or the weight of the rifle, or the recoil system......or a combination of all three........but the recoil is about the same as my RRA .223

I'm pretty sure the muzzle has to be threaded to accept the muzzle brake....but based on what DPMS charges for the muzzle brake option, it can't be all that expensive.

dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    Nice choice in comps! :) What type of accuracy are you getting from your LR 308?

It depends on who's shooting it.:D

The only place I have shot it is at Hunter's Run...100 yards max. Not much of a testing site - bullet groups will make a single enlarged hole ..........if there's no wind.

Mine has the short (18") barrel. At the time I bought it the only choices were 18" and 24". The 24" with muzzle brake was just to long/awkward for hog hunting.

Last edited:

vsound

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 25, 2006
    Baton Rouge

+1 on the JP muzzle brakes for that application. www.jprifles.com

They show on their website an installation of the JP Eliminator brake on a .270 that he can hold up to his chin to shoot it. I have one on my HK SR9 .308 and it definitely works. JP can do the installation (for added price).

As for AR brakes, I'm partial to the Dreadnaught F2, but it falls in the grouping that has had no head-to-head comparison. The JP Eliminator is in a class by itself. http://www.dreadnaught-industries.com/parts.htm

artabr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    New Iberia , Louisiana
    Acme, your friend should think about trading his pump for a semi-auto, .308/.30-06 or some other appropriate caliber. A brake would help, but he might spend less on a used Rem. S/A.

Art

Top Bottom