My Opinion: Ammo is worth more than the dollar

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • blackened1313

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    slidell
    It has been about 8 years since I worked for a decent sized arms dealer in Kentucky and have forgotten alot, but what I have learned is this--the prices of firearms have not changed that much since then( we were selling bushmasters for around a thousand and change, glocks havent really changed in price as is the case for most firearms.

However, the price of ammo has almost tripled since then and seems to be getting harder to find. We used to have 18 wheelers show up full of crates of 7.62 x 39, 54, 556 and everything else and it was cheaper than rocks.

I have some stock right now but I think the way to go would be Ammo. The price is ever increasing and in the event of zombie apocalypse, stocks, gold and everything else would be useless. Down here, after katrina, you couldnt even get your money out the bank because they were closed. Ammo could be used, traded and sold and seller sets the market.

Aside from the storage issue, ammo is a solid investment all the way around. I am sure all of you know this already but I think along with your teotwawki food storage prep maybe a box or two of ammo everytime you go to wally world isnt a bad idea.

CloudStrife

Why so serious?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge, LA
    In a barter system ammo would be one of the easiest means of trade since it is so portable. It's not all that different than money, except that it can be used up.

thatwhichisnt

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Ammo is better than the dollar, I would agree with that. However, ammo fails to meet a lot of requirements of money, such as a medium of exchange. Good to have? Absolutely. Investment? Hardly.

CloudStrife

Why so serious?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Ammo is better than the dollar, I would agree with that. However, ammo fails to meet a lot of requirements of money, such as a medium of exchange. Good to have? Absolutely. Investment? Hardly.

It could become a medium of exchange if its use became common enough. At that point its function in weapons would be secondary. I don't see this being the case if SHTF though.

blackened1313

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    slidell

True but in the event of total collapse, cash is only paper. Medium for exchange would be ammo for food, gas or anything else.

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly

Your wrong.

Ammo IS a medium of exchange... doubt me?
    Go check the sale forums where people buy/sell guns and other things for ammo.

It's also durable, and divisable.

Ammo in some countries costs more than the weapons.

I remember reading one article where it discussed in some African (IIRC) country a loaded pistol mag costing more than the gun!

HOWEVER...

Ammo is HEAVY.

I just moved about 50,000 rounds give or take...

Believe me, I was HAITING ammo by the time that was done.

Ignoring the 'descussion' on the term 'investment' vs 'speculation'

I'd think that few would disagree that:

<$21 per 140 .308
    $3.86 Per 50 9mm
    $75 Per 1,000 7.62x39
    $108 per 1,080 5.45x39
    $30 Per 440 7.62x54
    $30 Per 440 8mm

(All prices after shipping)

Wern't bad places to park FRN's.

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    nutter plus here absolutely, buy it cheep stack it deep....it will never go down

Ammo has followed gas, the price runs up to crazy then backs off a little and we call it cheap, it will never be worth less than it is today

IANAL, IANAammodealer, Ididn't sleep@ HIx last nite

blackened1313

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    slidell
    Your wrong.

It's also durable, and divisable.

I remember reading one article where it discussed in some African (IIRC) country a loaded pistol mag costing more than the gun!

HOWEVER...

Ammo is HEAVY.

Believe me, I was HAITING ammo by the time that was done.

Ignoring the 'descussion' on the term 'investment' vs 'speculation'

<$21 per 140 .308
    $3.86 Per 50 9mm
    $75 Per 1,000 7.62x39
    $108 per 1,080 5.45x39
    $30 Per 440 7.62x54
    $30 Per 440 8mm

Wern't bad places to park FRN's.

Lol, that 45acp ammo is heavy. The wooden crates of 7.62x39 left me with a bulging disk in my lower back along time ago and it still bothers me now.

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Denham Springs, LA. near B.R.
    Not to mention in a SHTF scenario, if you have guns and ammo and they don't--you can just take their food, medicine, gold, etc. It'll be a dog eat dog world and those with guns and ammo will be the top eating dogs.

CloudStrife

Why so serious?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Maybe we could even create ammo certificates! It'll give the holder the ability to exchange the certificate for a certain amount of ammo from the originator. That way were won't have to haul the ammo around! Yesssss!!!! :)

Not to mention in a SHTF scenario, if you have guns and ammo and they don't--you can just take their food, medicine, gold, etc. It'll be a dog eat dog world and those with guns and ammo will be the top eating dogs.

If the world goes to ****, I hope there are still people around that don't.

Last edited:

Turn Key

Stuck up North
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Your wrong.

It's also durable, and divisible.

HOWEVER...

Ammo is HEAVY.

Believe me, I was HATING ammo by the time that was done.

Ignoring the 'discussion' on the term 'investment' vs 'speculation'

<$21 per 140 .308
    $3.86 Per 50 9mm
    $75 Per 1,000 7.62x39
    $108 per 1,080 5.45x39
    $30 Per 440 7.62x54
    $30 Per 440 8mm

Weren't bad places to park FRN's.

Bro, I'm certainly Not disagreeing with ya.

As long as you share your source for 9mm @ $0.0772 cents per round. I'm assuming its just the bullet. If it is a complete FMJ primed to shoot, PM me immediately! :cool:

TK

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    Bro, I'm certainly Not disagreeing with ya.

As long as you share your source for 9mm @ $0.0772 cents per round. I'm assuming its just the bullet. If it is a complete FMJ primed to shoot, PM me immediately! :cool:

TK

Blazer...Both Al and then Brass cased...

First, you get your WAAAAY back machine... and go back to 2006.

Then you spend several months with me as I walked into Academy Sports Every paycheck and bought several cases!:D

Me and a few other Marines/Gun buddies did this... they were ordering SO much 9mm (Their volumes are based on past sales) it got to be a joke!

When I burn through the 'Cheap stuff' and haveto start on the $6 per box... it'll be a sad day!;)

hunter5567 Not to mention in a SHTF scenario, if you have guns and ammo and they don't--you can just take their food, medicine, gold, etc. It'll be a dog eat dog world and those with guns and ammo will be the top eating dogs.

I ain't getting shot over a can of beans...
    I'll go buy some extra packs of Ramen now...:p

blackened1313

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    slidell

Me and my aunt have that arguement all the time. she grows vegetables from seeds and I tell her I am gonna take her food with my guns.

Suburbazine

01001000 01101001 0011111
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Ammo has always been treated as currency, especially out on the Pacific. One of my cousins sailed around out there, and a .22 would go a LONG ways on some islands.

jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    Yowp. The day is coming people will be melting down their gold and silver trying to make themselves some bullets.

Commodities of the future with trading value:

Food, water, guns, bullets, medications. Thats it.

Top Bottom