National Defense Match

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LCPL 4

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 30, 2007
    Badger Free Zone
    Quite awhile back I posted about possibly trying to start a competition held at the St. Mary Sheriff’s Range. I’m usually out there twice a month for 4-H Shooting Sports. The NRA and the Sheriff has been very kind to us the past couple of years in funding range use. With that in mind I recently saw a small article on the new National Defense Match being put together by the NRA and thought that it may be something to consider. The Sheriff has given me permission to run whatever match I would like. I would like to hold one once a month on probably the second Sunday morning starting sometime possibly in May. Matches will be unapproved till NRA finalizes the details. See http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/nra/ssusa_201103/#/16

M-4orgeries, or similar, Iron or Optics, some positions via barricades, calisthenics as a buddy of mine calls it, and timed.

Edit - AK's are allowed. Irons or throw a Kobra on it, does not matter. According to the NRA spokesman the match is designed to be open to as many people as possible and at the same time enhance a persons speed and accuracy skills that would lend itself to a personal defensive situation. Hence the NDM title. They will however prefer the AR platform - portray to the public it's sporting side and defensive use and not just the dreaded EBR.

Talked shortly with the Sheriff this morning. Looks like we won't be able to hold the matches till late summer. When I told him approximate numbers so far, he gave me the no-go till he gets the rifle berms repaired which are currenly in poor shape. He did however state that we could run something on the pistol bays for now. Suggestions?

If the weather cooperates, I'll be at the range Sunday, Mar 27th. Afternoon is dedicated to 4-H but I can be at the range much earlier that morning to open the gate for discussion, shooting, whatever.

Last edited:

BayouSlide

See ya at the range
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    On the Bayou Teche, La.
    ABSOLUTELY! :rockon:

Good choice of monthly dates: doesn't conflict with other USPSA/steel challenge shooting competitions in the area.

I'm going to cross post this "New tactical carbine competition" with a link to this thread and I'll bet you get lots of interest from the existing competitive shooting community...I and a number of others have been waiting for a regular tactical carbine match to spring up here in South La.

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    Could be fun.
    Could you better describe "carbine"? I run only rifle length buffer tubes. Can I still play?

BayouSlide

See ya at the range
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    On the Bayou Teche, La.
    "Carbine" was my terminology...'cause this is the sort of match often run elsewhere as a "tactical carbine match", such as the matches in Corpus or Steel City in Birmingham.

The NRA calls it a "tactical rifle" match...they say po-tat-o, the other groups say po-tot-o. Whatever you call it, it will be way cool.

Really seems to be ideal for any AR-15. Barrels longer than 20" or triggers lighter than 4.5# run in Open class, and other modern defensive rifles are allowed, under the preliminary NRA rules according to the link provided by LCPL 4.

The NRA can call it anything they like...the EOTech-equipped 16" custom Bushy I won last year at BRM3G needs an outing. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

BayouSlide

See ya at the range
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    On the Bayou Teche, La.
    Twisted my arm.....I'll give it a try

That didn't take much twisting ;)

We sure had some fun back when you had those 3-gun events at River Parish Practical Shooters. Seem to recall you and your brother over in Corpus last year for the Texas State Tactical Carbine Championship. Fun stages and a great BBQ lunch as well. AR-15 run-and-gun and Texas BBQ is a combination that's hard to beat :D

James Cannon

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    Laffy
    I have a Tactical Carbine training class coming up in May. It'll be my first ever training with a rifle that wasn't with deer in mind.

I'll totally be in for this when available.

Top Bottom