National Defense Match

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • James Cannon

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    Laffy
    I didn't realize how close Franklin was. I'm used to not stopping until Morgan City when I head that way. Franklin isn't TERRIBLY far past New Iberia, so I think Lafayette people should have no trouble making it! I certainly won't. The only issue I will have is that every-other weekend is a no-go for me, as far as gun events. That's why I've had to miss some USPSA matches :( Otherwise I -will- be there rain or shine.

LCPL 4

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 30, 2007
    Badger Free Zone
    Recently asked questions ...

Can you give some details on the match you intend on running?
    What target(s) are used, are there time limits or is it more like a multi-gun/three gun match where your time is part of your score?
    Have you ever given thought to holding a true 3-gun type match?

Details – Currently I am with contact with Mr. Tuggle of the NRA. I am waiting for him to send me a Word document that covers the match more in-depth than what was shown in the article. When I receive that information I’ll post it to the site. The Franklin range is limited to 150 to 200 yards depending on where we can setup. According to him, “Basically we designed the COF so that most of the meat and potatoes that a normal person would need are shot within 100. So to run a NDM out to 100 just use the COF of 7, 15, 30, 60 and 100 yds. If you say you have 150 you could at your discretion shoot the 200 yd COF at 150 to boot. I think you should start with the 100 yard course and then next time add the 150 or 200 if you wantâ€.

Targets- Standard NRA D-1 Tombstone targets as well as a newly designed one called the NDM 5-120. Mr. Tuggle has kindly provided me “bootleg†versions of this one till the official ones are printed.

Scoring- From my understanding, Time is part of your score.

3-Gun- A possibility in the future. This is the first time I will be trying to organize such an event and I’m hoping to keep it from being a big cluster from the offset. I also have to consider that most of the shooting has to be over by early afternoon because of 4-H. Not a problem if it runs over but would prefer not to have both going on at the same time.

This summer will be used to practice and make sure we work out all the hiccups. If all goes well we could be looking at sanctioned matches in the fall.

BayouSlide

See ya at the range
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    On the Bayou Teche, La.
    Steel targets = faster reset

in on the fun!!!!!!!

Agreed on the steel but I don't believe I've seen any steel at the St. Mary Parish range that would stand up to 223/5.56...lots of nice .22 or pistol-quality steel though.

At the shorter distances and decent-sized squads helping out, paper should be plenty workable, I'd think.

kz45

1911 cool-aid drinker
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Maybe we can bring our own steel, I have a mini popper auto reset, and thinking about buying another auto reset

BayouSlide

See ya at the range
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    On the Bayou Teche, La.
    Maybe we can bring our own steel, I have a mini popper auto reset, and thinking about buying another auto reset

After seeing what sometimes happens to loaner steel, you're braver than I am. Someone always seems to slip some steel core into a mag no matter how much you try to avoid it, unfortunately, especially with newbies to these sorts of competition.

I forgive my friends for tearing up my steel, but not strangers :D

I did some experimentation recently and even AR500 auto-reset poppers sustain some damage at 100 - 125 yards with .223/5.56. I'm guessing most of the shots will be much shorter than that.

Last edited:

kz45

1911 cool-aid drinker
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I guess I'm to trusting, I havan't had a hole burnt though my steel yet! but when it happens (hopefully not) i'M GONNA BE PISSED, but I only use it at Poplarville

BayouSlide

See ya at the range
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    On the Bayou Teche, La.
    ;)
    I guess I'm to trusting, I havan't had a hole burnt though my steel yet! but when it happens (hopefully not) i'M GONNA BE PISSED, but I only use it at Poplarville

Those guys are trustworthy ;)

Not worried about holes, I just don't like cratered steel and what might happen to a .223 round at 3000 FPS when it takes a wild bounce off the pockmarks :eek3:

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    The good thing about it though, is IF it finds enought turn around the small entry fee multiplied by the X amount of users will start creating some budget money to buy more equipment to make it more interesting, other places should start to listen (Fussiler is a prime example) will help to mantain the facility AND promote the place and shooting sports.

LCPL 4

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 30, 2007
    Badger Free Zone
    I fully intend to keep match costs to a minimum. Besides NRA match fees the few dollars extra will be used to purchase needed items such as targets, pasters, etc. with a small reserve of cash. If we generate "profit", it will be most likely given to the SO for range maintenance/improvements.

LCPL 4

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 30, 2007
    Badger Free Zone
    Weekend Update - 03/13/11

Completed NRA's RSO course this past Saturday. I've got a couple of emails and phone messages in to the NRA Competition people. Awaiting return info. Nothing else to report at this time.

Top Bottom