Navy Nuclear Officer program

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • audioshooter

On Target. Send It.
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    Im considering joing after i finish my BS in Mech Engr here at Tech. Has anyone had experience with the program either at the officer level or enlisted?

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    No personal experience but after getting out, you have a plethora of rather well paying jobs waiting on you in nuclear power facilities. Coupled with a engineering degree, you can take your pic of jobs that start around 150k/year

Quickdraw22

I SPEAK DA THUGG!1!
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 18, 2007
    Sulphur, Louisiana
    I did some basic processing with the Navy in their officer program right out of college. Make sure your GPA is awesome, and don't bother trying to get in if you've got a record.

Expect 2-3 months of paperwork and typical BS.

CatCam

Ready, Shoot, Aim!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    F-that. Get a real engineering job - don't waste 4 years of your life for a military that could care less about you. Sorry - but sometimes the truth stings a little bit.

fng

Rating - 100%
    23   0   1
    Nov 2, 2008
    St. Charles Parish
    No personal experience but after getting out, you have a plethora of rather well paying jobs waiting on you in nuclear power facilities. Coupled with a engineering degree, you can take your pic of jobs that start around 150k/year
    ^^THIS^^
    The nuke experience with the engineering degree kind of puts you into a different class of career possibilities then others with the degree but without the nuke experience.

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    F-that. Get a real engineering job - don't waste 4 years of your life for a military that could care less about you. Sorry - but sometimes the truth stings a little bit.
    I think you have that backwards. My son is in the Army and he is not there because the Army cares about him. He is there for experience and education. Get paid to learn a skill. He is a combat engineer dealing with explosives. He has jobs offers waiting for him to get out.

Tigerfish

Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    Prairieville, La

Never mind. My reading comprehension skills were a little late to the party

Last edited:

doc ace

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Pineville/Deville

Yeah what the hell is this? We did it for love of Country. This is the most unpatriotic thing I've read in a while.

Korl

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2013
    Baton Rouge Area
    I was a nuke enlisted for 7 years and it was one of the greatest opportunities to have so far in my career. It is a good program with a lot of BS but if you play the game everything turns out well. You have less opportunity to select billets as a nuke but the experience shows and helps a lot for careers. After leaving the navy I don't recommend civil nuke just for quality of life issues. For the time sacrifice the program will open up so much career wise across many industries than college alone.
    One thing to remember is have a thick skin and let the bs roll off. Treat your enlisted as you would want to be treated as they can have more influence on your career and learning than most other military careers.

Sent from my SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Korl

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2013
    Baton Rouge Area
    One more thing sub's may help more for team environment that is pushed for in a lot of careers today. Surface career will probably help more dealing with the bs personalities you will find in the work place.

Sent from my SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

providince

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA
    One of my best friends in High School went through that program. He is one of the smartest people I know. He went in straight out of high school. While he was very smart, he had a lot of home problems and needed to straighten up. He excelled in that program and that was probably the first time he was challenged. He did a few years in the program then was sent by the military to MIT to get his engineering degree. He is 6'3" and still spends a good portion of his time on subs to this day. I would say, if you have the mind to succeed there, there is a great future in that program. Good luck!!!

Jmfox3

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    I am a retired nuclear submarine officer. Was selected to the program as a college junior back in 1985. Retired in 2006. The training pipeline is about 14 months and that doesn't include leave and travel between. The pay is higher than any other military program due to the rigor. It is a tough program but very rewarding. If you'd like to know more drop me a private message.

CatCam

Ready, Shoot, Aim!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Yeah what the hell is this? We did it for love of Country. This is the most unpatriotic thing I've read in a while.

Sorry - didn't mean to sound unpatriotic, not my intention. Patriotism is a noble thing that should reciprocate with being taken care of and this is where the current leadership has failed. This generation of Flag Grade Officers make decisions based solely on their career progression and not for the good of the military or it's junior or enlisted ranks. I'm speaking from experience.

Excuse me but I don't feel like I wasted 4 years of my life defending the country that I love and would gladly do it again.

I didn't say that all folks have wasted their time - each person has their own reason for joining. With an Engineering degree the OP is very marketable outside of the military. I should caveat my statement that if he is looking to do a 4 year stint and get out that might be okay but a career with an engineering degree may not be a prudent move. I thank you for your service.

I think you have that backwards. My son is in the Army and he is not there because the Army cares about him. He is there for experience and education. Get paid to learn a skill. He is a combat engineer dealing with explosives. He has jobs offers waiting for him to get out.

Is he a PE or a degreed engineer? The Army sends people to a 6 week "engineering" school at Fort Leonard Wood and slaps a castle on their lapel and calls them an "Engineer" when they are not. They could have a basket weaving degree or no degree at all. I'm not saying it isn't a good training program and like you said it is an opportunity for him to get an education and to gain experience. I thank him for his service.

And you came upon this bit of wisdom how?

22 years of military service -- 10 enlisted and 12 officer. Served both Active Duty and Reserve, Served in Afghanistan and Iraq - Civil Engineer (Heavy) Officer. So I've seen the evolution of our military leadership from the late 80's to the current leadership. So, I'm not on the sidelines looking at the game. Moreover, I've watched civilian engineers do much better than their military counterparts.

I didn't mean to ruffle feathers here and the OP can do whatever he wants to do but he asked the question. He might as well hear all aspects before he signs up for a long term commitment.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    All the hoo-rah aside, the simple message people are trying to convey is that for your education the private sector will pay 3-4x what the military will, day 1.

Only you can decide which path to take. I'd suggest landing a cush private sector job and checking out the national guard. Best of both worlds, and if the military bug bites ya then you can switch later (with more appealing credentials)

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    I think you may be wrong on this. Landing a private nuclear job is not very easy. Nuc navy will put you at the top if the pool for a highly sought after job that pays very well.
    Yes, you will have a few years of low military pay, but that is better than paying for school and is more desire able than just a college piece of paper. Most people with college degrees do not start out making the big money. With NYC experience and an engineering degree, you will have a first year salary about 3x what the average starting engineer will.

Top Bottom