NCIS background check

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cajun47la

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Let me start off by saying that I have not purchased a gun in about twenty years. But I work with people that buy guns an ammo from gun shops, gun shows, and the internet all the time. I purchased an AR10 off of Gun Broker and had it shipped to a gun shop in Houma. I was contacted by the gun shop when the gun arrived. I went in and filled out the NCIS background paperwork. The guy called it in and said that I was being checked and did not get an instant approval and from his experience I would not get approval that day. That was ten days ago. I called the gun shop after seven days to ask if they had heard anything. After telling me that they had not recieved a call yet. I asked if this was unusal because my friends at work are telling me they have never heard of the back ground check taking this long. His reply was that it could take a week, a month, or they might never call. Considering that I have already paid for the gun and he has it. That answer is not exceptable. At this point I am not sure if the problem is with NCIS or the gun shop? And the bigger problem is that I am not sure how I can resolve this problem. Does anyone have any advice of what my options are?

Harrisracing

Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    wait...

Yes it's the FBI background check.

1) Have you ever been in the armed forces? If so, it will usually take 2-3 weeks especially the first time. Applying for a UPIN # aids in this getting processed MUCH faster in the future if you ever served. THIS HAS BEEN CLARIFIED BELOW!

2) (Hopefully this is a stupid question>>) Do you have any felonies? If so, it's probably NEVER going to get approved if you didn't check it off and list it.

I have never been denied, but I have an immaculate record. BUT, I'm NOT an FFL, and I am NOT an attorney on the matter so take everything I say as NOT DEFINED TRUTH until you do your own research.

Good luck!

Patrick

Last edited:

killerkarl

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2012
    I thought that if the dealer hasn't heard anything back on the background check after 3 days then they may proceed with the transfer. Does the shop you are dealing with have a different policy?

Robbie

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   1
    Nov 8, 2011
    Elmwood, LA 70123
    You should have gotten one of the following answers.
    Proceed
    Cancelled - The seller is prohibited from transferring the firearm to the buyer.
    Denied - The seller is prohibited from transferring the firearm to the buyer.
    Delayed - The seller is prohibited from transferring the firearm unless 3 business days have elapsed and, before the transfer, NCIS or the State has not advised the seller that the buyer's receipt or possession of the firearm would be a violation of the law.

We have done several 4473 forms for customers and have never heard of the answer they gave you.

Last edited:

cajun47la

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Yes, I do have a clean record. He did ask me if I had a TWIC card and said that he had delay's with people before me that had TWIC cards. Your reply is in line with the information the gun shop gave me. Everything I read on the internet say's that at most it should only take 4 to 7 day's. And from what I have read on here the FFL can legally sell you the gun after 3 days if no response is heard from NCIS????

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    You most likely got delayed. Welcome to the club. 90% of my purchases are delayed. Kinda ruins gunshows for me, but I don't have too much room to complain since I have been too lazy to apply for a UPIN number, which I am told should remedy the situation. After 3 days of not hearing back after a delay, the FFL is allowed to go ahead with the sale, but IS NOT required to do so. On average, my FFL gets a call back approval for me on day 2.

Harrisracing

Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Yes, I do have a clean record. He did ask me if I had a TWIC card and said that he had delay's with people before me that had TWIC cards. Your reply is in line with the information the gun shop gave me. Everything I read on the internet say's that at most it should only take 4 to 7 day's. And from what I have read on here the FFL can legally sell you the gun after 3 days if no response is heard from NCIS????

I have a TWIC card and have never been delayed. I am doubting that's the issue.

jms

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 25, 2009
    Franklinton,La.
    I thought that if the dealer hasn't heard anything back on the background check after 3 days then they may proceed with the transfer. Does the shop you are dealing with have a different policy?

+1 my local gun shop policy exactly on hand gun unless there is a diff for a AR.

InterstateGuns

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    Hammond
    Yes it's the FBI background check.
    1) Have you ever been in the armed forces? If so, it will usually take 2-3 weeks especially the first time. Applying for a UPIN # aids in this getting processed MUCH faster in the future if you ever served.
    False. I've spent some time in service and I've always gotten a proceed. Never had to be transferred to an examiner.

However as stated applying for a UPIN would be the way to go.
    http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ni...rocess/nics-appeal-frequently-asked-questions

It is also true that after three business days after the initial call in that firearm may be transferred without hearing back from NICS. However I know of some shops that have policies saying that unless NICS calls back with a resolution, the firearm may not be transferred.

For more understanding of NICS, check out these video's.
    http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/nics/federal-firearms-licensees

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/nics/nics-process-in-motion-for-the-gun-buyer-video-transcript

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/nics/voluntary-appeal-file-video

Last edited:

cajun47la

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    On the NCIS web site it states that the a back ground check and delay can still apply even to those that have UPIN numbers

Harrisracing

Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    False. I've spent some time in service and I've always gotten a proceed. Never had to be transferred to an examiner.

However as stated applying for a UPIN would be the way to go.
    http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ni...rocess/nics-appeal-frequently-asked-questions

It is also true that after three business days after the initial call in that firearm may be transferred without hearing back from NICS. However I know of some shops that have policies saying that unless NICS calls back with a resolution, the firearm may not be transferred.

For more understanding of NICS, check out these video's.
    http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/nics/federal-firearms-licensees

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/nics/nics-process-in-motion-for-the-gun-buyer-video-transcript

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/nics/voluntary-appeal-file-video

I modified my previous statements to reflect this information.

cajun47la

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Thanks for all the feed back I feel much better knowing that this does happen to other people. And most importantly after watching the video I know that I can appeal my delay if it does not go thru.

lawarren0351

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 29, 2012
    Lafayette
    The NICS system is very screwy. The way it works is it compares the info (especially the name) to criminal records in the NICS system. If your name is close to any alia (it also looks at addresses, et.) that has been used by a person in the NICS system it may flag your name. If it gets flagged, then it goes to an examiner who does further research to see if it is a person who should not get the firearm.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    The online NICS check is so much better. Instead of the FFL calling it in, the examiner keying it in, it takes the info directly from your Drivers license, the fields auto populate and are exact. A real person is on the other end, instead of being on the phone for a minute or two, they take about 10 seconds on an approval.

225todd

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 6, 2011
    Shreveport, LA

I usually get delayed every time. The FFL dealer asked if I had ever gotten a security clearance in the military- which I have. He told me that is probably the reason for the delay. Granted he may not have had any other knowledge then just calling in 4473's, but he dealt with it a lot more then I have. The answer seemed kinda screwy to me though, I figured if you ever served or had a security clearance you should proceed much quicker than just the average joe, but I don't know the process either. The last rifle that I bought I was only delayed for a day though. Things seem to be improving :)

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    You most likely got delayed. Welcome to the club. 90% of my purchases are delayed. Kinda ruins gunshows for me, but I don't have too much room to complain since I have been too lazy to apply for a UPIN number, which I am told should remedy the situation. After 3 days of not hearing back after a delay, the FFL is allowed to go ahead with the sale, but IS NOT required to do so. On average, my FFL gets a call back approval for me on day 2.

Well that sucks, I thought they had to but you are really at their mercy.

--------------------------------------------------------

Maybe use a different FFL next time? -

Last edited:

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Well that sucks, I thought they had to but you are really at their mercy.

--------------------------------------------------------

Maybe use a different FFL next time? -

There is no downside for the FFL to sell the gun to you after 3 days. They get their money, if it eventually comes back denied the scumbag goes to jail and in some cases the guns have been given back to the FFL to sell again.

Top Bottom