ND at Slidell show last weekend

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    I expected someone would have already posted about it, maybe no one else here hit the Slidell show last weekend. One of the regular vendors, always has an end spot up front and several tables down both sides of the row, I've bought from him before. Apparently, a gun on his table had a round in the chamber, and as he was showing it to a guy, the guy shot one through the table into the floor. No injuries. When I arrived on Saturday, all of his tables were covered with cloth like they do overnight, and the deputy on detail, who I've known and worked around for years, gave me the story.

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    Wow! That's the first time I've heard of an AD at any of the shows in our area. It's even more shocking that it's a dealer. I have worked shows for a dealer before and NEVER EVER handed anyone a loaded gun.

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    I expected someone would have already posted about it, maybe no one else here hit the Slidell show last weekend. One of the regular vendors, always has an end spot up front and several tables down both sides of the row, I've bought from him before. Apparently, a gun on his table had a round in the chamber, and as he was showing it to a guy, the guy shot one through the table into the floor. No injuries. When I arrived on Saturday, all of his tables were covered with cloth like they do overnight, and the deputy on detail, who I've known and worked around for years, gave me the story.
    Did he like the gun?
    Did he still buy it?

AdvancedLaser

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 15, 2021
    Covington, Louisiana
    Thats nuts. The last 3gun match, I had my stuff showing at, I put out only stripped frames, no slides, and the two guns with slide work I zip tied very discreetly so they could be handled. It was a L.E. only match, but its always better to go to the far end of safety and ovethink it, than to let this happen and bring shade to the gun community. The media masturbates to stories like this one.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Wow! That's the first time I've heard of an AD at any of the shows in our area. It's even more shocking that it's a dealer. I have worked shows for a dealer before and NEVER EVER handed anyone a loaded gun.

Same Here.

The Key Master

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2013
    Gretna, LA
    I spoke to someone on Monday about the Slidell gun show. This person was at the gun show Saturday. This person told me that the usual "sounds" that goes on during a gun show ceased when the weapon was fired. I asked if you could've heard a mouse pee on cotton and he replied "Yes" it was that quiet right after the weapon was fired. This person doesn't think anyone was hurt. I hope no one was hurt.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    Yep. We were there when it happened. No fault of fellow looking at the gun. The gun was zip tied and he couldn't physically check the chamber. It was a .22 and it had five rounds in it.
    Gun case, table, floor. Good muzzle discipline saved the day.
    Gun Show Policy calls for lifetime banishment for a discharge in the show.
    This was a major vendor. A good guy who make a mistake.

It was a Slidell Show where a fellow pulled up a few minutes before opening. Shot the floorboard of his Jeep with an SKS trying to clear it to bring it in to sell.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    Almost a decade ago I had a ND. Not a single day that goes by that I don’t still think of it. Everytime I see anything about a negligent discharge it’s another reminder.

What happened to me was this was right around a time in my life where I was really getting into firearms. I had (and still do) a spot in my house set up for me to dry fire. On this particular day I walked into the room, cleared my pistol, and set the fully loaded magazine aside. I started doing a dry fire routine and at some point around when I was finishing up my wife walked into the room. At this point I grabbed my loaded magazine and started conversation with my wife. Not paying attention to what I was doing I inserted the fully loaded magazine into the gun. Wife walks out of the room and I decided to do a little more dry fire. I rack the slide and it was the quietest gun shot I’ve ever heard in my life. No ringing of the ears or nothing like that. Just a dumbfounded wtf did I just do look on my face when my wife ran into the room to see what happened. I was so shocked and embarrassed I don’t even remember what I told her exactly other than yea I know I just made a huge mistake.

It killed my confidence and for months afterwards I felt like an idiot. It took years before I was even able to admit it happened to me and tell other about it. Now looking back I’m glad it happened to me and obviously glad no one or nothing was hurt except my pride. It made me realize that regardless of how proficient or confident you are with firearms you can never be too safe. Don’t think your too advanced or too smart to heed simple advice such as don’t dry fire with a loaded magazine or even have the ability to load the firearm in the same room you are dry firing in. It was a lesson learned the hard way for sure but I’m grateful again like I mentioned earlier that the only thing that was hurt was my pride.

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    Almost a decade ago I had a ND. Not a single day that goes by that I don’t still think of it. Everytime I see anything about a negligent discharge it’s another reminder.

What happened to me was this was right around a time in my life where I was really getting into firearms. I had (and still do) a spot in my house set up for me to dry fire. On this particular day I walked into the room, cleared my pistol, and set the fully loaded magazine aside. I started doing a dry fire routine and at some point around when I was finishing up my wife walked into the room. At this point I grabbed my loaded magazine and started conversation with my wife. Not paying attention to what I was doing I inserted the fully loaded magazine into the gun. Wife walks out of the room and I decided to do a little more dry fire. I rack the slide and it was the quietest gun shot I’ve ever heard in my life. No ringing of the ears or nothing like that. Just a dumbfounded wtf did I just do look on my face when my wife ran into the room to see what happened. I was so shocked and embarrassed I don’t even remember what I told her exactly other than yea I know I just made a huge mistake.

It killed my confidence and for months afterwards I felt like an idiot. It took years before I was even able to admit it happened to me and tell other about it. Now looking back I’m glad it happened to me and obviously glad no one or nothing was hurt except my pride. It made me realize that regardless of how proficient or confident you are with firearms you can never be too safe. Don’t think your too advanced or too smart to heed simple advice such as don’t dry fire with a loaded magazine or even have the ability to load the firearm in the same room you are dry firing in. It was a lesson learned the hard way for sure but I’m grateful again like I mentioned earlier that the only thing that was hurt was my pride.
    I didn't even ND but my loaded gun mistake shook me hard, too. My bonus grandpa (stepmother's dad) was a WWII Marine veteran of Okinawa, and taught me how to shoot when I was about 10, he had 68 acres in Brookhaven with his own range, and lots of guns to try. Fast forward to me about 21 years old, a Marine myself now, and I had bought a nice used pistol from a buddy, drove over for a holiday, and couldn't wait to show him. I took it out of my car, racked the slide to eject the round from the chamber, THEN removed the magazine, totally wrong order, and handed him a loaded weapon. He promptly did a check himself, ejecting that live round, and I deflated, embarrassed beyond description, catching the flash of disappointment on his face. No lecture needed, point made with that one glance. I never hand anyone a weapon now with a closed action, even having just properly assured it to be empty, as I should have done that day. If it's open, there's no mistaking.

WhereIsIt?

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 30, 2020
    Gretna, La
    Yep. We were there when it happened. No fault of fellow looking at the gun. The gun was zip tied and he couldn't physically check the chamber. It was a .22 and it had five rounds in it.
    Gun case, table, floor. Good muzzle discipline saved the day.
    Gun Show Policy calls for lifetime banishment for a discharge in the show.
    This was a major vendor. A good guy who make a mistake.

It was a Slidell Show where a fellow pulled up a few minutes before opening. Shot the floorboard of his Jeep with an SKS trying to clear it to bring it in to sell.
    How would it fire a round if it was zip tied? Doesn't it go through the barrel? I'm not familiar with every gun's intricacies and im not able to visualize how this could happen.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    How would it fire a round if it was zip tied? Doesn't it go through the barrel? I'm not familiar with every gun's intricacies and im not able to visualize how this could happen.
    That’s a good question actually how the hell would it still fire if it was zip tied? Maybe it was a revolver of some sorts is all I can think or maybe it was somehow secured to the table and not zip tied.

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    I have been to many gun shows. A casual glance around shows people from all walks of life, and all experience levels. I have personally had to duck, on more than one occasion when another show goer was "waving the gun around" and pointed it at me. I was "reassured" at least one of those times that the gun was empty, I told them it did not matter to me, as I had not checked the gun. Got a strange look, like they thought I should just blindly trust them with my life...

Watching people handling the guns with fingers on the trigger, dumbfounded looks while trying to manipulate the action, no idea which end of the gun is which, it just makes me wonder.

Top Bottom