Need a new CC 9mm pistol

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gejshooter

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 21, 2024
    Mandeville
    I'm looking for a new CC 9mm. I recently sold my Taurus G3C, mainly because of some FTF issues with my hollow points. A friend recommended a Glock 43X. I shot his recently and it was OK. I'm looking for some recommendations. Thanks.

SwampyDog

certified gun nut
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 3, 2012
    Killian
    Go check out HonestOutlaw on YouTube. He does some of the best, most comprehensive reviews and lists out there. I guarantee you'll enjoy it and find the info you need to make and educated purchase. If you're on a budget he has yearly lists on the best guns under X amount of money that are extremely helpful

WhereIsIt?

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 30, 2020
    Gretna, La
    Another vote for the shield plus. I have the 4inch performance center version. I started with a glock 43x, then a cz p10c. I like my p10c but the shield plus is thinner, shoots well and has 13 round mags. You can buy 15 round mags for it now if you want.

hotbiggun

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 25, 2023
    Louisiana
    Go check out HonestOutlaw on YouTube. He does some of the best, most comprehensive reviews and lists out there. I guarantee you'll enjoy it and find the info you need to make and educated purchase. If you're on a budget he has yearly lists on the best guns under X amount of money that are extremely helpful
    And hes a damn good shot. He will reccomend the shield

2tix2gunshow

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 15, 2020
    Baton Rouge
    Best carry gun is P2000SK V2, love the hammer for re-holstering, and the LEM trigger is a great defensive tool. Get a G-code holster for AIWB (tactical fuzz).

If you are OK with striker fired then I agree with everybody: the shield is #1 just ahead of p365 and 43x. I love that little gun.

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    Best carry gun is P2000SK V2, love the hammer for re-holstering, and the LEM trigger is a great defensive tool. Get a G-code holster for AIWB (tactical fuzz).

If you are OK with striker fired then I agree with everybody: the shield is #1 just ahead of p365 and 43x. I love that little gun.
    I carry the SK in V1. I love shooting striker-fired, but prefer hammer-fired for carry.

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    Does anyone have any thoughts on the Taurus GX4?
    I carry one and have never had an issue with it and shoots SD rounds with no problems either. I shot it and a 365 side by side using the same ammo and they shot identically for me. It’s in rotation with a Ruger LCP Max depending on what I’m wearing.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I'm looking for a new CC 9mm. I recently sold my Taurus G3C, mainly because of some FTF issues with my hollow points. A friend recommended a Glock 43X. I shot his recently and it was OK. I'm looking for some recommendations. Thanks.
    Any of the name brand compact pistols will suit you just fine. Everyone has their opinion on what's best as everyone values different things and has different hands.

Go to a range that rents pistols and rent the different guns you're considering. Put at least 100 rounds through each one.

gejshooter

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 21, 2024
    Mandeville
    Any of the name brand compact pistols will suit you just fine. Everyone has their opinion on what's best as everyone values different things and has different hands.

Go to a range that rents pistols and rent the different guns you're considering. Put at least 100 rounds through each one.
    Great answer. Thanks.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    Great answer. Thanks.
    I would also add don’t just look at compact pistols. You’d be surprised how easy it is to conceal a larger gun with a little effort. I’ve been appendix carry a Glock 17 daily for years now. I like a lot of the compact offerings on the market and own/have owned quite a few mentioned but I can tell you none of them are as easy to shoot and handle as a full sized pistol.

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    Pineville/Alexandria
    I've owned or borrowed: G43X, P365, Hellcat, LCPS, Kimber MAKO and a few Smiths (don't remember exact models). Maybe a few more I've forgotten about that didn't impress me. Other than the LCPS which, IMO, had too light of a trigger and not enough capacity, I would be comforted by carrying any of them.
    The Kimber would be my choice by a small margin with all the others a close second. I EDC a P365 b/c I already have extra mags and holsters for it and don't want to accumulate more for a Kimber.
    Good advice given above: try 'em all and get what works best for you.
    Ed

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I would also add don’t just look at compact pistols. You’d be surprised how easy it is to conceal a larger gun with a little effort. I’ve been appendix carry a Glock 17 daily for years now. I like a lot of the compact offerings on the market and own/have owned quite a few mentioned but I can tell you none of them are as easy to shoot and handle as a full sized pistol.
    Yeah, some people can pull off larger pistols. I agree that it's worth looking into, but for most people a smaller, thinner, and lighter pistol usually works better.

A+ for EDCing a G17 though, that's a big ole pistol.

gejshooter

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 21, 2024
    Mandeville
    I visited my LGS today (Academy), and looked at several pistols. I have narrowed my choices.
    Out - S&W M&P Shield Plus - Too large for me, and did not like the safety. It was hard to reach and toggle.
    Out - Ruger EC9 - Capacity too low - grip too thin.
    Out - Glock 43X - Too large compared to other micro 9s - Aftermarket magazine required for double stack capacity - The grip feels cheap and flimsy.
    Out - Sig P365 - Just did not like it as much as the remaining.
    In - Springfield Hellcat - great feel - like the sights - Good capacity - Springfield reliability
    In - Taurus GX4 - great feel - good capacity - great price
    Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks.
    Any thoughts on the Canik MC9? Academy did not have this gun.

Top Bottom