Need a new CC 9mm pistol

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I visited my LGS today (Academy), and looked at several pistols. I have narrowed my choices.
    Out - S&W M&P Shield Plus - Too large for me, and did not like the safety. It was hard to reach and toggle.
    Out - Ruger EC9 - Capacity too low - grip too thin.
    Out - Glock 43X - Too large compared to other micro 9s - Aftermarket magazine required for double stack capacity - The grip feels cheap and flimsy.
    Out - Sig P365 - Just did not like it as much as the remaining.
    In - Springfield Hellcat - great feel - like the sights - Good capacity - Springfield reliability
    In - Taurus GX4 - great feel - good capacity - great price
    Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks.
    Any thoughts on the Canik MC9? Academy did not have this gun.
    Did you look at the P365XL?

twinin

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    Canik is good but way chunkier than a shield plus. I loved the hellcat feel and sights but side by side recoils a lot more than a shield plus

Fordfella

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2018
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    I visited my LGS today (Academy), and looked at several pistols. I have narrowed my choices.
    Out - S&W M&P Shield Plus - Too large for me, and did not like the safety. It was hard to reach and toggle.
    Out - Ruger EC9 - Capacity too low - grip too thin.
    Out - Glock 43X - Too large compared to other micro 9s - Aftermarket magazine required for double stack capacity - The grip feels cheap and flimsy.
    Out - Sig P365 - Just did not like it as much as the remaining.
    In - Springfield Hellcat - great feel - like the sights - Good capacity - Springfield reliability
    In - Taurus GX4 - great feel - good capacity - great price
    Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks.
    Bought an EC9, took it to the range, couldn't wait to get rid of it. Pinched my finger every time I released the trigger.

Martman300

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 12, 2018
    Gretna, la
    I'm looking for a new CC 9mm. I recently sold my Taurus G3C, mainly because of some FTF issues with my hollow points. A friend recommended a Glock 43X. I shot his recently and it was OK. I'm looking for some recommendations. Thanks.
    I like the Glock 26 over the 43X, 43 only holds up to 8 rounds reliably. There are a ton of pistols that are great out Now. The 43X holds 10 of course. Don’t use after market mags for self defense.

like the others said look up to the Honest Outlaw, Chris will give a good honest review. He likes the shield plus and the 43X by the way.

I would say go to a local LGS or show so you can handle them and see what would work for you.

I prefer the larger pistols, carrying a Beretta 92X today.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I thought it would be hard to beat the little Springfield Hellcat I own.
    I favor it I’m over the 365. But my son got me a Canik METE MC9 for Father’s Day and after the trials I’ve adopted it as my EDC for warm weather. They come optics ready and they run closer to budget than many of the other big names. I’ve run nearly 150 rounds of Hornady Critical Duty through it with 100% reliability. Ergo’s are great, size is basically the same as my Hellcat, a tad longer, but not enough to feel in the waistband. Better grip in my opinion. Trigger is better than any of them. Just my .02 dollars.

Attachments

• IMG_3268.png
      IMG_3268.png
      3.3 MB · Views: 29
    Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    Pineville/Alexandria
    If you like the Hellcat, I think you'll LOVE the MAKO. Only problem is finding one to fondle. Can't speak to the Taurus or Canik but if cost is a concern I'd certainly consider them.
    (Disclaimer: I did not design, manufacture or distribute the Kimber - I was simply very impressed with the gun. Belonged to a friend.)

SVT Bansheeman

No more laughing dog
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Lockport, LA
    I run a canik facebook group. There's a couple reports of them not being reliable which is what I've always heard even from other canik models like the tp9sxf. Most who have issues (usually with 115gr) cleared right up after some break in rounds. IMO needing to break in a modern polymer gun is pretty stupid and is an example of a bad firearm to me.

I would still entertain picking up the MC9 depending on how it would feel in my hands. It's a little thicker than most options. I actally dont care for my g27/g19 due to thickness which i've carried a good bit. Double stacked glocks feel a little to big for me and the slimline glocks feel great. I just hate how my glock 43x only holds 10 rounds. Id lean toward the hellcat just for that.

BSGA

BSGA
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Southwest,Louisiana
    I'm very happy with my Sig 938. I have 2, one is the Legion version that I carry the most. It might not have the capacity that many people prefer, but I don't intend to get in a prolonged shoot-out. I figure with 6-7 and spare mag, I have enough to defend, neutralize, or get outta dodge with. Many times I also carry a revolver if I'm driving in a CD holster. Very comfortable and hardly know it's on for those long road trips. Lot's of good advice in the previous posts. Try several before you settle on something is the best advice I've seen. Good luck!

gejshooter

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 21, 2024
    Mandeville
    Good morning. Thanks for the replies. Any thoughts on the Ruger LCP Max for a pocket pistol? And then maybe a larger frame pistol that stays in the car?

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    Good morning. Thanks for the replies. Any thoughts on the Ruger LCP Max for a pocket pistol? And then maybe a larger frame pistol that stays in the car?
    Don’t leave a pistol in the car.
    Imo you’re just asking for it to eventually be stolen. Find a carry set up that works for you in the car or on foot. You shouldn’t need a different gun to drive around with than you do to carry. I pull my vehicles into my back gate often and practice drawing from concealment with a seatbelt on. It’s not that hard to do carrying appendix. My advice would be to find one gun that you can carry daily and will suit most of your needs.
    Just my .02 or I guess $1.02 rounded up for inflation.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    Buy once, cry once… Don’t let a couple $’s determine they quality and reliability of your lifesaving tool… I would rather budget and save and spend $900 (if needed) on a pistol that I may never have to use, but be a joy to shoot and be reliable, reputable, confidence, and comfortable, than spend $300-350 on somthing that gives me doubts every time I put it in my holster, malfunctions, painful to shoot, sucky sights, ect…

Money isn’t everything.. but it’s obvious.. within reason the more something cost the better quality and reliability you get… other wise everybody would be carrying hipoints, or we would only shop at $ tree and $ general for everything like tools ect… its ok to skimp on a few things but not a pistol… just my .02

But who am I to talk I carry staccatos, Dan Wessons, shadow systems, and Glocks…. Never had an issue with any of them lol

Last edited:

gejshooter

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 21, 2024
    Mandeville
    Buy once, cry once… Don’t let a couple $’s determine they quality and reliability of your lifesaving tool… I would rather budget and save and spend $900 (if needed) on a pistol that I may never have to use, but be a joy to shoot and be reliable, reputable, confidence, and comfortable, than spend $300-350 on somthing that gives me doubts every time I put it in my holster, malfunctions, painful to shoot, sucky sights, ect…

Money isn’t everything.. but it’s obvious.. within reason the more something cost the better quality and reliability you get… other wise everybody would be carrying hipoints, or we would only shop at $ tree and $ general for everything like tools ect… its ok to skimp on a few things but not a pistol… just my .02

But who am I to talk I carry staccatos, Dan Wessons, shadow systems, and Glocks…. Never had an issue with any of them l

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    Thanks. I somewhat agree with your post. With your post, do you have a recommendation for pistol? Thanks.
    All I can say is with the 1000’s of rounds I have shot what works for me… alwasy ole faithful is a Glock 19 for a great budget pistol or even a g43/43x/48…. No matter what you get, spend time with it, dry fire practice, target shooting, point shooting, drawing ect…

them skilled roofers that can hold a 20oz hammer and 8 roofing nails in there hand and sound like an auto gun didn’t get that way from not practicing

But I mostly carry a

shadow cr920 elite w/optic
    Shadow mr920 elite w/optic
    Staccato c2 2011 9mm w/optic
    Dan Wesson vbob 1911 .45
    Dan Wesson cco 1911 .45
    Glock 19
    Glock 43

Don’t even start a thread about holster options and carry position?!?! lol that’s a deep rabbit hole

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    All I can say is with the 1000’s of rounds I have shot what works for me… alwasy ole faithful is a Glock 19 for a great budget pistol or even a g43/43x/48…. No matter what you get, spend time with it, dry fire practice, target shooting, point shooting, drawing ect…

them skilled roofers that can hold a 20oz hammer and 8 roofing nails in there hand and sound like an auto gun didn’t get that way from not practicing

But I mostly carry a

shadow cr920 elite w/optic
    Shadow mr920 elite w/optic
    Staccato c2 2011 9mm w/optic
    Dan Wesson vbob 1911 .45
    Dan Wesson cco 1911 .45
    Glock 19
    Glock 43

Don’t even start a thread about holster options and carry position?!?! lol that’s a deep rabbit hole

I even know a guy who has a G19 for sale

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    I pocket the LCP MX regularly and use a sticky holster. Very comfortable carry option and have never had any issues with it. Depending on where I go and what I wear I’ll carry a CZ compact or GX4….

Top Bottom