Need a translator

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wagon_Master

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2009
    This is not the best pic but could not get the other to upload.

Attachments

• sword2 (1).jpg
      sword2 (1).jpg
      265.5 KB · Views: 141

headspace

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 9, 2009
    Hammond
    Wagon master, try to do a rubbing with a pencil and paper, I've had good luck doing that with coins to fax for ID.
    Press paper on top of the engraving and rub the side of the pencil lead on top to get a good depiction and take a pic of that

Wagon_Master

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2009
    Wagon master, try to do a rubbing with a pencil and paper, I've had good luck doing that with coins to fax for ID.
    Press paper on top of the engraving and rub the side of the pencil lead on top to get a good depiction and take a pic of that

yeah wife already tried that. Hopefully M-66 or Tinman will be able to help some:)

TinM@n

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    My GF looked at it tonight, (just now) and she says it seems like its someone's name, She is forwarding the pic to her dad in Tokyo who is more familiar with old school names / symbols etc. The pic is kind of hard to make out, and with Japanese / Kanji, a dash her and there missing can change the meaning altogether.
    I will let you know when he looks it over, should no be too long.

TinM@n

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    She says (via her parents in Tokyo) that the first character Says: Noushu= Southern part of an area in Japan where a lot of sword makers still work. The last Characters are more likely the Smith's name or the store it smithed at.
    Her folks also referred this website: http://www.nosyu-token.jp/
    Not that you will know what the hell it says, haha! But that is the jist of what you have there, a real deal no BS non tourist attraction sword made of good ole Nippongen steel. Looking at the website she (my GF) translated that a sword by that name is running about $6,500-10,000 (As listed in the site).
    Its hard to tell without looking it over and having some kind of knowledge of swords, but that at least, is the take on it from our little investigation.
    This should steer you at least in a better direction.

SilverGirl

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    Just to clarify, the first two character says "noshu", which is a southern area of Gifu prefecture, where there are still sword smithing and sword related stores, today. The last character can be read "gen" or "moto" and it may be a part of a name, but I can't make out the two characters before that so I can't tell. If you can get a better picture of the last 3 characters, I can find out more! But since no one can even guess, it might be that the sword is a replica, and some foreign person imitated the characters onto the sword. I may be wrong!

Wagon_Master

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2009
    She says (via her parents in Tokyo) that the first character Says: Noushu= Southern part of an area in Japan where a lot of sword makers still work. The last Characters are more likely the Smith's name or the store it smithed at.
    Her folks also referred this website: http://www.nosyu-token.jp/
    Not that you will know what the hell it says, haha! But that is the jist of what you have there, a real deal no BS non tourist attraction sword made of good ole Nippongen steel. Looking at the website she (my GF) translated that a sword by that name is running about $6,500-10,000 (As listed in the site).
    Its hard to tell without looking it over and having some kind of knowledge of swords, but that at least, is the take on it from our little investigation.
    This should steer you at least in a better direction.

Thank you so much for your help. I have emailed you another picture I hope it will help. I am trying not to remove corrosion but if I have to to find out the name of maker I will. You both have been so helpful and patient, Thank you:)

Just to clarify, the first two character says "noshu", which is a southern area of Gifu prefecture, where there are still sword smithing and sword related stores, today. The last character can be read "gen" or "moto" and it may be a part of a name, but I can't make out the two characters before that so I can't tell. If you can get a better picture of the last 3 characters, I can find out more! But since no one can even guess, it might be that the sword is a replica, and some foreign person imitated the characters onto the sword. I may be wrong!

john17427

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Oct 23, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I wouldn't do anything to try and remove anything from the blade or handle (Nakago). If the sword is indeed valuable, you'll be devaluing it with every stroke. Try taking the photo to swordforum.com, post it in the Japanese sword making topics, and see if anyone recognizes the signature. They may ask you to do a rubbing as well. There may be a collector in Alexandria who might be able to place it. If I can find his contact info I'll pm you.

Top Bottom