Need help finding a holster

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • graymo2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2008
    New Orleans/ Baton Rouge
    I'm looking for a holster for my Smith and Wesson Model 60
    Model_60-15_1_350.jpg

I've looked around, but I am a jackass and could use a little help.

L

Louisiana Shooter

I looked forever before I finally found a 3 inch model 60. I think that gun is an ideal compromise between concealability and controllable power. Right now I carry it SOB in a Bianchi model 105 holster a a 3rd gun. I have a Tucker HF-3 ordered for it. http://rlcompanyusa.stores.yahoo.net/hf3reho.html Tucker leather takes a few months to get and they get top dollar for it, but it extremely well-made and durable.

If you hate stuff that falls apart just when it's getting sufficiently broken in, you will love Tucker Leather. Make sure that you get a quality belt, too. A holster can be no better than the belt it's attached to.

L

Louisiana Shooter

If I'm reading you correctly, you say you carry two 1911s and a three inch J-frame... all at the same time?

If so... ALL the time?

Not all the time. A friend of mine is adamant about carrying a 3rd gun, so I am kind of in the process of trying to see if I can make it work. With the Bianchi holster, it doesn't. We'll see if it works with a Tucker.

The theory is that drawing another gun is always faster and more reliable than a reload. The idea seems true, and trying malfunction drills vs drawing another gun proves out on a timer at the range, but if it's not something which is managable given my daily routine then I'm not sure that it is a valid concept for me.

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    Not all the time. A friend of mine is adamant about carrying a 3rd gun, so I am kind of in the process of trying to see if I can make it work. With the Bianchi holster, it doesn't. We'll see if it works with a Tucker.

The theory is that drawing another gun is always faster and more reliable than a reload. The idea seems true, and trying malfunction drills vs drawing another gun proves out on a timer at the range, but if it's not something which is managable given my daily routine then I'm not sure that it is a valid concept for me.

I know a reload fits better on the batman belt :D

Seriously, 3 guns? Who do you think you are? LouisianaCarry? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

posse comatosis

Hoo-ahh!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    Bayou Perdition
    hl_C_TYS_45.jpg

Just get a Yaqui Slide for a J-frame and let the barrel hang out as they are designed to do. The above is from kirkpatrickleather.com in Laredo, TX. I ordered simple holster IWB from them in the a.m. this past Monday, they must have built it the same day, and UPS delivered it Tuesday a.m. And they told me it would be four to eight weeks. Maybe for the big gun holsters.

Another option is the Half Breed Slide for $50 from bellcharteroakholsters.com:

hbrev.JPG

Check out opticsplanet.com and officerstore.com also for in stock holsters for that gun.

I have to concur with Louisiana Shooter that the Model 60 three inch is the best compromise between size and ballistics in that class of revolver. Wish I had bought one when I had the chance. I think Smith has a winner in the 327 MAG Model 60 three inch, which turned it into a six shooter. I'm a little leery of the porting, however, and that price tag.

Last edited:
    L

Louisiana Shooter

hl_C_TYS_45.jpg

I have to concur with Louisiana Shooter that the Model 60 three inch is the best compromise between size and ballistics in that class of revolver. Wish I had bought one when I had the chance. I think Smith has a winner in the 327 MAG Model 60 three inch, which turned it into a six shooter. I'm a little leery of the porting, however, and that price tag.

The 3 inch model 60 also makes a good intermediate sized training gun for teaching people how to shoot a j-frame snubby. I have a lot of new shooters coming to my classes with brand new snub nosed revolvers. Having something that operates the same way, yet has better sights and a slightly longer sight radius allows them to master the fundamentals before tackling the isues that the snubby presents.

L

Louisiana Shooter

Clipdraw.com

I won't knock your choice that a clipdraw is the right choice for you. If a person is dedicated and practices sufficiently a clip draw can make for a good carry system.

I would like to mention that the clipdraw presents some issues that one needs to be aware of so that when a person chooses one they find a technique that works safely for them and they practice that technique.
    These issues center around the clipdraw's failure to cover the trigger guard. Some say that this is not an issue because the trigger guard is covered by one's clothing - Plaxico Buress can testify to how easy it is to pull a trigger through one's clothes

Of course any carry system requires that one practice with it. I wish the NRA didn't require so many pre-requsites for one to take their course that covers drawing from a holster.

posse comatosis

Hoo-ahh!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    Bayou Perdition
    My answer to the Clip Draw Mexican carry method is to use an Uncle Mikes pocket holster in place of an IWB with a J- frame. It's probably about as secure as with a Clip Draw with normal body movements, and the trigger guard is covered.

L

Louisiana Shooter

Given the competence level of the average shooter, that is generally true. But watching someone who has practiced it extensively do a Phase One or Phase Two malf clearance can be quite educational. Ditto reloads.

Plus, what do you do with the empty gun? Remember, you'll perform like you practice. Unless you PRACTICE dropping the empty one...

Just playing devil's advocate here. During the almost 30 years I carried professionally, I was all about having two; and occasionally, three (when I went to New Orleans). But like anything else, there are caveats...

We practice dropping the empty guns. Of course this means that even fixed sights need regular adjustment.

Last edited by a moderator:

posse comatosis

Hoo-ahh!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    Bayou Perdition
    if one is going to go to the trouble of "strapping up", might as well carry something with more than six or seven rounds...

True, except that my threat level is generally very low. I don't go around all the time in "Condition Wired" like you people in South Louisiana apparently do. The threat level is usually highest when I am in my truck approaching a remote location, including my house (******g rural methheads). Then I have immediate access to a semi auto and sometimes a shotgun. Like I told my daughter when she asked my why I carried a gun to town all the time. So I told her, "I don't need it in town. I need it when I get home."

L

Louisiana Shooter

The threat level in my area is very low as well. I have unholstered and reholstered thousands of times since the last time I did so in preparation for an identified threat.

The number of rounds, in fact the number and type of firearms and ammuition, are not selected based upon the level of threat. They are properly selected based upon the type of threat likely to be encountered.

I am not merely prepared for a threat that will decide that stopping is done in self-preservation. I am prepared for the type of threat that has to be rapidly destroyed to be defeated.

I don't go about i "conditio wired". I go about in condition relaxed, rested, yet ready.

L

Louisiana Shooter

:wtc::wtc:

Please be nice to that Kimber. It's too pretty to ding up!!!

If they take a pretty gun from my warm dead hand it'll be my own fault. Guns are not made to be kept pretty. They are made to be used; maintained and cared for, but used and practiced with often.

Top Bottom