Need help finding a holster

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Quickdraw22

I SPEAK DA THUGG!1!
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 18, 2007
    Sulphur, Louisiana
    If they take a pretty gun from my warm dead hand it'll be my own fault. Guns are not made to be kept pretty. They are made to be used; maintained and cared for, but used and practiced with often.

The way I see it - I make $8 an hour. If I'm going to spend a MONTHS PAY on a gun, I'm going to be damn sure to take the best care of it that's physically possible. Will it be a safe queen - no. Will I be conducting the Rockwell Hardness Test to the cement with my handheld car payment - HELL NO.

Just because a gun may "look pretty" doesn't mean the owner is incompetent with it. I've got a beautiful little Ruger 10/22 that was my 14th Birthday present - there are a little over 25,000 rounds(and counting) through that gun. My father bought a S&W Model 19 for his duty weapon in 1971 that still looks IMMACULATE - he remembers putting 500 rounds through his gun A WEEK for over 3 years (do the math).

You don't need to beat up a gun to be good with it :cool:

L

Louisiana Shooter

The way I see it - I make $8 an hour. If I'm going to spend a MONTHS PAY on a gun, I'm going to be damn sure to take the best care of it that's physically possible. Will it be a safe queen - no. Will I be conducting the Rockwell Hardness Test to the cement with my handheld car payment - HELL NO.

Just because a gun may "look pretty" doesn't mean the owner is incompetent with it. I've got a beautiful little Ruger 10/22 that was my 14th Birthday present - there are a little over 25,000 rounds(and counting) through that gun. My father bought a S&W Model 19 for his duty weapon in 1971 that still looks IMMACULATE - he remembers putting 500 rounds through his gun A WEEK for over 3 years (do the math).

We don't practice the dry, drop, and draw drills on concrete. We usually put rubber mats down over the wooden planks at the Up the Creek Gang's cowboy action range. Half the reason that I joined that club is because that their range is well suited for many types of practice that other ranges in our area are not.

There are many things in addition to marksmanship that go into using a firearm for self-protection. Gun-handling constitutes another leg of the triad and Mindset and awareness the third. Round counts are not really an effective measure of training. Once basic marksmanship skills are developed, presentation, clearance, reloading, and comprehensive drills should be rehearsed against a timer, both dry and live.

Get a copy of The Modern Pistol Technique by Greg Morrison and/or The Principles of Personal Defense by Jeff Cooper. Fighting Smarter by Tom Givens is a great book as well, but I don't know if it is still in print. The next time we get together, I'll lend you a copy of mine if you are interested.

The NRA personal protection publications are good, but they are geared to those entirely uninitiated and that makes them a boring read for those with a firearms background who wish to bone up on the purely defensive aspects of weapons craft. They make great textbooks for the courses that put things into motion and have accompanying activities.

At some point, master the rifle while you are young. I did not, and I am struggling to learn it well now. Developing physical skills usually comes easily to younger men. Work with a rifle until you can hit anything you can see from field positions. Then you may call yourself properly armed.

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville

And this is the way I feel.

Quickdraw22

I SPEAK DA THUGG!1!
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 18, 2007
    Sulphur, Louisiana
    LA Shooter -

Glad you clarified that you did them on wood/rubber. Now THAT I can deal with. I would cringe to see a fine piece of workmanship repeatedly slam into concrete just for the sake of "training". I feel much better now that you told me this - I was about to call Firearm Protection Services and report you for abuse :D :D

I do agree with you - round count does not matter. What does matter, is if you learned something about your gun from every shot. You can squeeze a trigger all day, and not learn a thing - or you can pay attention to every shot and really start to KNOW your firearm. With my open sighted 10/22, me and my father were having a race to see who could knock down 5 shiny new Quarters at 30 yards - I found out that the increased practice with my pistol has left me a bit rusty with my rifle.

I'd love to pick up some reading material from you. As my grandpa says "You can't ever stop learning, or you'll be like your grandma and go crazy" :rofl:

DAVE

L

Louisiana Shooter

Without coming right out and saying so, you have alluded to the fact that you are learning not just about your firearm, but about yourself. This is a very good thing. A firearm can only be a firearm. It is the individual that is the defender. It is the individual that is truly the weapon.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Very nice Model 60, I love the three inch carry revolvers. I can't say why for sure just something about how they look. To my eyes the three inch just has a nicer appearance than my two inch M60.

I know Colt made some Detective Specials with three inch barrels. I pray I never come across one. I'll buy it on the spot and let the chips fall where they may when I get home.

I have several Bell Charter Oak holsters including the half breed. They work well with my carry revolvers.

Dave

posse comatosis

Hoo-ahh!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    Bayou Perdition
    the three inch just has a nicer appearance than my two inch M60

They look better, but they don't hide as well nor draw as quick. And you can get more increase in velocity by changing ammo than you can from the extra inch of barrel. I'm waiting for Smith or Ruger to come out with an eight or nine shot 2-1/2 or 3 inch K frame sized gun in 327 MAG. Such a gun might put auto jammers on the back burner for non-LEO's.

L

Louisiana Shooter

That extra inch of sight radius sure helps my old eyes line up the barrel with the target.

posse comatosis

Hoo-ahh!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    Bayou Perdition
    Yes, the increased sight radius is more accurate. And the longer barrel coupled with hotter ammo is more advantageous. It never ends. There is always some improvement that could be made. But when it comes right down to it, the little 38 Special two-inch snubnose revolver is the one gun you can carry undetected 24/7 that is virtually 100% reliable.

Of course if you need a gun, you need a gun bigger than a 38 Special. But when it goes down, nobody's going wait around while you go fetch one.

L

Louisiana Shooter

I've been carrying bigger guns 24/7/365 undetected for nearly 20 years. You are correct though, compromises have been required. Sometimes they were fashion compromises, other times they were comfort compromises.

Each person has to evaluate the choices and decide for themselves. I can't say what's best for anyone but me, because I'm not the one who has to tote someone else's gun around all day and I'm not going to be there to draw and shoot it should that ever be required.

Heck, even compromises about how much time and money to spend on training are personal decisions that are hard to second guess. We all know that more is generally better, but no one has unlimited time and money resources from which to draw in pursuit of martial skills.

Top Bottom