Need LEO Advice Pit Bull tried to attack my two small children several times.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • simplepeddler

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 30, 2010
    Saint Amant
    seems like anything other than putting the animal to pit bull heaven is kicking the problem to the next kid that does not know there is an attacking dog down the
    street.
    I am sure there are millions of great pit bulls, but I am on worried about the one that attacks me or my family.
    they are just not worth the risk.

91white_ka

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 4, 2012
    Arabi, la
    Oh man someone suggested that an aggressive dog with an incompetent owner be put down. Sounds like a bunch of left wing but jobs in here. Doesn't matter what breed or dog it is, it's an animal. There's no reasoning with it, if it decides to do something, that's what it's doing. So yes if I had to be put in a position to choose between a dog that might as well have no owner and my child, or family member... Yep, no questions. On that note I love pit bulls, I've had a few and I know the size and build of that dog vs. a child or woman. Well we all know who will loose that fight, but hey let's sit around waiting for it to come across the news then we can all say coulda/woulda/shoulda's.

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    Oh man someone suggested that an aggressive dog with an incompetent owner be put down. Sounds like a bunch of left wing but jobs in here. Doesn't matter what breed or dog it is, it's an animal. There's no reasoning with it, if it decides to do something, that's what it's doing. So yes if I had to be put in a position to choose between a dog that might as well have no owner and my child, or family member... Yep, no questions. On that note I love pit bulls, I've had a few and I know the size and build of that dog vs. a child or woman. Well we all know who will loose that fight, but hey let's sit around waiting for it to come across the news then we can all say coulda/woulda/shoulda's.

Sounds like the OP has it under control. He's working to stop the problem at its source.

acman1997

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    I have heard that pure ammonia in a water gun will send a dog running if you hit them in the face with it. preferabbly the nose. never tried it myself but was told by a buddy that it is like pepper spray for dogs.

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    There is no state leash law that i'm aware of.

Leash laws are usually parish or municipal ordinances.

RS 3-2771

§2773. Dogs as personal property; seizure of dogs running at large or on property fenced as a fox pen; notice to owner; dangerous or vicious dogs

B. Any citizen may, or the sheriff, constable, or other police officers of any parish, ward, or municipality shall seize any dog found unaccompanied by its owner or keeper and running at large on any road, street, or other public place, or trespassing on any premises other than the premises of the owner. If the dog is wearing a collar bearing a tag showing the name and address of its owner, it shall be impounded and the citizen or officer so seizing and impounding the dog shall immediately thereafter by written notice notify the owner of the dog, at the address disclosed by the tag on the dog's collar, that the dog has been seized and impounded by him, and unless the owner or keeper of the dog shall, within seven days from the receipt of the notice, claim the dog and pay the citizen or officer a fee of one dollar for seizing and a fee of twenty-five cents for each day it is impounded, it shall be disposed of in a humane manner.

D. Any citizen or officer may kill any dangerous or vicious dog, and no citizen or officer shall be liable for damages or to prosecution by reason of killing any dangerous or vicious dog.

Amended by Acts 1950, No. 231, §1; Acts 1992, No. 1131, §1.

rtr_rtr

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 24, 2011
    New Orleans
    I have heard that pure ammonia in a water gun will send a dog running if you hit them in the face with it. preferabbly the nose. never tried it myself but was told by a buddy that it is like pepper spray for dogs.

Ammonia is a gas. Concentrated solution of ammonia can cause permanent damage. Better to just use pepper spray

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    From this point forward anyone advocating operating outside of the realm of legal action and harming and/or killing an animal will go bye bye. Don't be stupid guys.

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    So, I'm okay advocating killing the dog within the law outlined in LARS 3-2771 Par. D, if the dog is a threat to Secret or his family?

"D. Any citizen or officer may kill any dangerous or vicious dog, and no citizen or officer shall be liable for damages or to prosecution by reason of killing any dangerous or vicious dog."

Last edited:

tikanni

Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    May 22, 2011
    Metairie, LA
    SpeedRacer is referring to the fact that the OP asked about open carrying and possibly of concealing his firearm and what legal repercussions he could face. Not about if it was legal to defend his family and kill a dog.

MyTFAL

"It's no big deal,...."
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Abita Springs
    I like dogs, but I like kids without permanently disfigured faces more, children's safety vastly out weighs my interest in canine civil rights.
    You threaten and show intent to harm my child,...I don't care who or what you are I'll put you down.

Last edited:

#1bambam

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Oct 14, 2007
    The Nasty New Orleans.
    RS 3-2771

§2773. Dogs as personal property; seizure of dogs running at large or on property fenced as a fox pen; notice to owner; dangerous or vicious dogs

B. Any citizen may, or the sheriff, constable, or other police officers of any parish, ward, or municipality shall seize any dog found unaccompanied by its owner or keeper and running at large on any road, street, or other public place, or trespassing on any premises other than the premises of the owner. If the dog is wearing a collar bearing a tag showing the name and address of its owner, it shall be impounded and the citizen or officer so seizing and impounding the dog shall immediately thereafter by written notice notify the owner of the dog, at the address disclosed by the tag on the dog's collar, that the dog has been seized and impounded by him, and unless the owner or keeper of the dog shall, within seven days from the receipt of the notice, claim the dog and pay the citizen or officer a fee of one dollar for seizing and a fee of twenty-five cents for each day it is impounded, it shall be disposed of in a humane manner.

D. Any citizen or officer may kill any dangerous or vicious dog, and no citizen or officer shall be liable for damages or to prosecution by reason of killing any dangerous or vicious dog.

Amended by Acts 1950, No. 231, §1; Acts 1992, No. 1131, §1.
    On seizing the dog.I woul love to have someone house feed and pick up the **** from my pitbull for 1.00 and then 25 cents a day. As for #2 Killing a mad dog well thats common sence.

Secret Squirrel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    BAFB
    Update. This is Squirrel's wife. Yet again, on the way to the bus stop with my leashed dog, the pit bull charged us and crossed over the road and bit the back leg of my dog. All in full view of the owner. I got my kids home and my husband, who in an unrelated event had surgery this morning, was furious. He had me call the police while he stormed up the road to confront the neighbor. I was worried he might hurt himself or worse, step on the neighbors neck. He was madder than I have ever seen him. By the time he got to the neighbors house the officer was already there, Thank God. The neighbor tried to say his dog never left the yard, I showed him where my dog spun in the dirt across the street from his house. The officer was very upset that the dog was not removed the other day like we were told. He got on the phone with Animal Control and did not leave the neighbors house until the dog was removed. This officer did an outstanding job and made us all feel alot safer.

Thank you all so much for your help. We are very grateful for all of your suggestions.

Top Bottom