Need to shim scope base?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lajeeper

heartless conservative
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 28, 2009
    BR
    I recently received a Leupold scope to mount on my Remington 700. It is currently zeroed for 100 yards. I noticed that the scope has more than 30 MOA adjustment (approx. 2 1/4 complete revolutions on the elevation turret) down.

I would like to zero it for 200 yards, as most of the shooting I plan to do with this rifle would be from 200 yards are further, and in doing so, will only decrease the amount of travel I'll have for longer distances. It seems to me that I need to take it in to get a shim or two installed under the mount. My ideal situation would be to have the scope zeroed for 200 yards, with about 6 or 7 MOA adjustment down (the absolute most deviation for my .308 load), with the remaining adjustment available for longer distances.

Am I on the right track here, or am I missing something fundamental? Thank you in advance for any help or advice you can provide.

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    I would like to zero it for 200 yards, as most of the shooting I plan to do with this rifle would be from 200 yards are further, and in doing so, will only decrease the amount of travel I'll have for longer distances. It seems to me that I need to take it in to get a shim or two installed under the mount.

You will not take or add to your elevation capabilities regardless of where the scope is zeroed. If you zero at 100yds, or 200yds, you will still need a given amount of dope from the scope center to get to a given distance. If you're zeroed at 200 instead of 100 you'll just have to dial less to get there. Not sure what bullet/speed you're shooting, but 30moa is usually enough to get most .308's out past 800yds. Get a 20moa base if you want to shoot further than that.

Last edited:

wcmesa

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    What base and rings do u have? I generally run a 20 moa base on my rifles. With that said you usually have to shim or bed the base on the action. Never had a factory rifle that didn't need this treatment for a stress free mount. What is the total moa travel of your elevation knob?

Top Bottom