New, and a little scared

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tulse Luper

Besmirched!
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Metairie
    I keep all my autos in this style holster, one in the chamber but secure. I always have one at the bedside.

http://www.blackhawk.com/product/SERPA-CQC-wMatte-Finish,1145,1410.htm

The blackhawk would be a good idea, and you can get QD mounting platforms to go in you truck, on your bedframe...etc. Just be sure to unload your pistol and practice drawing from all positions that you mount the holster.

I absolutely would not want to fumble for that lock in the dark. That lock was designed to be used while drawing from the waist, not while being grabbed at in the dark under stress.

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    JeffW,

Only if you don't have kids and/or a stupid girlfriend/wife!!!

What if you load the magazine and leave the slide open with the slide lock. If you place it atop a table, position it where you grab the grip first. With one press of the slide lock you are stacked and racked in milliseconds.

Regardless of where you live, you should consider some type of advance alert system for forced entry into your perimeter. Those things are dirt cheap! I have my primary under my matress, but if somebody slips into my room without me knowing about their presence beforehand, I have lost alot of the advantage. You may be groggy, you may have drank the night before, you may have done some Nyquil, or sleeping aids.

If you are going to wake up from a dead sleep with an intruder standing over you, immediately regain your senses, have the wherewithall to grab your gun, and make a stand; I think you are fooling yourself.

I cannot even close my eyes without the alarm on no matter how manny guns I have in my bedroom.

Paintball

Long live the 10mm
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2010
    Denham Springs, Louisiana
    JeffW,

What if you load the magazine and leave the slide open with the slide lock. If you place it atop a table, position it where you grab the grip first. With one press of the slide lock you are stacked and racked in milliseconds.

Regardless of where you live, you should consider some type of advance alert system for forced entry into your perimeter. Those things are dirt cheap! I have my primary under my matress, but if somebody slips into my room without me knowing about their presence beforehand, I have lost alot of the advantage. You may be groggy, you may have drank the night before, you may have done some Nyquil, or sleeping aids.

If you are going to wake up from a dead sleep with an intruder standing over you, immediately regain your senses, have the wherewithall to grab your gun, and make a stand; I think you are fooling yourself.

I cannot even close my eyes without the alarm on no matter how manny guns I have in my bedroom.

This^

A security alarm and an inside or big outside dog (one that will bark) will help give you the time needed to act, and hopefully deter the threat before you have to act.

GClifton

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    Chenal, La.
    I absolutely would not want to fumble for that lock in the dark. That lock was designed to be used while drawing from the waist, not while being grabbed at in the dark under stress.

When you grab the pistol, your index finger automatically goes on the button, even in the dark. The holster drops from the pistol.

"being grabbed at in the dark under stress" -------- Fondled or groped ?--------------

Just joking,

Greg

Last edited:

JeffW

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    JeffW,

What a great idea!
    Can't believe I didn't think of that!
    Thanks, Emperor.

SirIsaacNewton

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    I think it is perfectly normal to be somewhat fearful (respectfully fearful) of a handgun - it is not a tool that one should be complacent with just like power tools, large machinery, etc.....

My solution had a guy from this forum throw it together out of kydex - holds a glock 19, 17, and 34 - even though I sold my 34 :doh:

Bedside%20Holster%201.jpg

Bedside%20Holster%202.jpg

Last edited:

JeffW

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    I think it is perfectly normal to be somewhat fearful (respectfully fearful) of a handgun - it is not a tool that one should be complacent with just like power tools, large machinery, etc.....

My solution had a guy from this forum throw it together out of kydex - holds a glock 19, 17, and 34 - even though I sold my 34 :doh:

Bedside%20Holster%201.jpg

Bedside%20Holster%202.jpg

Sir Isaac,
    That is perfect.
    Who made that for you?

SpencerSS

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Brusly, La

That's why practice is needed. Once you've done it enough, you forget there is a lock. Rolltops too, safariland makes some good ones.

P.S. If the stress is too much to get it out of the holster, then you probably can't use it properly to defend yourself.

Last edited:

goteron

Unity Tactical
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Houma, LA
    Am I the only one that thinks having at least one failsafe operation between wake up from REM and pulling the trigger is a good idea. I dont keep one in the chamber by the bed as I know when I am jolted awake I need a second to mentally get reved up. Racking the slide is a phyiscal movement that is basic motor skills and allows me to take stock of my mental state. Chances are I will not need the gun in a millisecond. Even if I have 2-3 seconds to wake up and rack the slide I am better off.

Just for me at least.

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    Wife and I both have a Glock on each side of the bed loaded with one in the chamber plus there is a shotgun in the bedroom. The magazine is full of Winchester Ranger LE 00 buckshot and it also has one in the chamber.

I would hate for someone to be in the house wandering around in the dark and then they hear me racking the slide.

Last edited:

goteron

Unity Tactical
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Houma, LA
    You dont have to slingshot a slide in that situation, you can rack quietly and push into battery. But its a valid point for sure.

Chances are I would end up shooting someone who was not a threat in my fresh out of sleep state.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    Pineville/Alexandria
    I know of 2 instances where a loved one was shot by someone putting his finger on the trigger without first waking up - both fatalities. Both thought that their wives were still asleep beside them because they did not have time to fully wake up before shooting.
    Even if you don't have children in the house I think that your weapon should be stored in such a way as to cause you to have to wake up before using it - either by use of a personal single-gun portable safe, or distance, or whatever. JMHO.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I have a pistol safe that I picked up at academy. It was about $30. It holds one pistol (plus a small flashlight and a set of ear plugs) and has a 3 digit combination lock with a twist knob to open. You can close it and latch it with just the knob without changing the combination. That gives me that extra few seconds to wake up before doing something. I also have an 80 pound dog at the foot of the bed (well, on the bed, especially in cold weather!). There's also an AR handy with a light mounted.

SpencerSS

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Brusly, La
    I know of 2 instances where a loved one was shot by someone putting his finger on the trigger without first waking up - both fatalities. Both thought that their wives were still asleep beside them because they did not have time to fully wake up before shooting.
    Even if you don't have children in the house I think that your weapon should be stored in such a way as to cause you to have to wake up before using it - either by use of a personal single-gun portable safe, or distance, or whatever. JMHO.

Again, I have the advantage of being single. The bottom line is: think about it long and hard, find something that works for you, and practice it.

P.S. Rob Pincus has some wonderful videos on these types of situations.

Top Bottom