New Charger Cop Cars

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    About three weeks ago my wife and I were traveling to Houston. There were four “ghost” troopers working the area between Grosse Tête and the Atchafalaya bridges: 2 Tahoes and 2 Chargers. At the time they had pulled over 2 different out of state-ers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t think they are looking for speeders, that’s more of a criminal patrol I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    About three weeks ago my wife and I were traveling to Houston. There were four “ghost” troopers working the area between Grosse Tête and the Atchafalaya bridges: 2 Tahoes and 2 Chargers. At the time they had pulled over 2 different out of state-ers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They prolly profiling for drugs. I mean, stopping suspicious looking people to seize their cash. No, wait.. ok, yeah. Prolly both.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    Well I would attempt to participate in this conversation further but I’m not going to convince those who are adamantly for these sleepers. And since none of us really have the power to change things individually it’s a waste of my effort. Perez and Motor we agree on plenty we don’t have to agree on this one. Luckily for me I haven’t been seeing any of these units in the areas my family frequents, so at the moment it doesn’t really affect us.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Well I would attempt to participate in this conversation further but I’m not going to convince those who are adamantly for these sleepers. And since none of us really have the power to change things individually it’s a waste of my effort. Perez and Motor we agree on plenty we don’t have to agree on this one. Luckily for me I haven’t been seeing any of these units in the areas my family frequents, so at the moment it doesn’t really affect us.

I agree

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Plain Brown Wrapper has been a thing as,far back as I remember.
    Then complained about Bike Patrols as they just are sneaky.
    I still hear some complian about Horse.
    I ask them Poilce on a Horse is new?
    That is what thry used before cars were invented

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    You don't have to worry too much about cops in chargers.

1st, its a dodge product, so don't expect it to last

2nd, these will have the MDS system in them, and that worthless setup is known to kill lifters and cams. So they will be at the dealership getting overhauled, slowly. And probably not put back together properly either, if my experience is anything to go by.

Not a snowballs chance in hell I am pulling over for an unmarked car...

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    You don't have to worry too much about cops in chargers.

1st, its a dodge product, so don't expect it to last

2nd, these will have the MDS system in them, and that worthless setup is known to kill lifters and cams. So they will be at the dealership getting overhauled, slowly. And probably not put back together properly either, if my experience is anything to go by.

Not a snowballs chance in hell I am pulling over for an unmarked car...

My first pursuit charger lasted over 100k miles with me behind the wheel and is still being driven by a newer officer. The only problem I had was the front end needed to be overhauled about every 40k miles. That’s seems to be the norm from what I’ve seen. A few had engine problems but it was due to the “special” oil the city went into a contract with. I had 2 different newer model explorers and they were horrible. I’ll take the charger over any LE vehicle I’ve had in my 20+ years. The Tahoe’s are nice but they are no charger.

One last thing, my new one is an AWD model so that might be a different animal all together. Only time will tell.

Last edited:

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    My first pursuit charger lasted over 100k miles with me behind the wheel and is still being driven by a newer officer. The only problem I had was the front end needed to be overhauled about every 40k miles. That’s seems to be the norm from what I’ve seen. A few had engine problems but it was due to the *special* oil the city went into a contract with. I had 2 different newer model explorers and they were horrible. I’ll take the charger over any LE vehicle I’ve had in my 20+ years. The Tahoe’s are nice but they are no charger.

One last thing, my new one is an AWD model so that might be a different animal all together. Only time will tell.

Probably goofy Kirby at the City Lot with the oil

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    My first pursuit charger lasted over 100k miles with me behind the wheel and is still being driven by a newer officer. The only problem I had was the front end needed to be overhauled about every 40k miles. That’s seems to be the norm from what I’ve seen. A few had engine problems but it was due to the *special* oil the city went into a contract with. I had 2 different newer model explorers and they were horrible. I’ll take the charger over any LE vehicle I’ve had in my 20+ years. The Tahoe’s are nice but they are no charger.

I had a 2008 Charger that was in the shop almost as much as it was out of the shop. In 2018, it racked up over $11K in repair costs with a new (refurbished) motor contributing to a good bit of that total. Maybe the problem was its age or the almost 200K miles but you can keep the Charger.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    I had a 2008 Charger that was in the shop almost as much as it was out of the shop. In 2018, it racked up over $11K in repair costs with a new (refurbished) motor contributing to a good bit of that total. Maybe the problem was its age or the almost 200K miles but you can keep the Charger.

Well Chrysler wasn’t really known for long lasting automobiles, and the Fiat influence has been good for the Chrysler brands. I would like to believe the newer Chargers are significantly improved in quality similar to the Ram Trucks are.

But let’s be honest even the interceptor motors aren’t made to last under severe duty I’m sure these cars are expected to preform under.

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    FWIW, I chatted with a EBRP Sheriff the other day about the new Ford Explorers that they're using. He said that they can't keep transmissions in them ... which is par for the course with Ford, from what I hear.

He said that the Tahoes they used to run were fantastic. Took a beating and kept on going.

mike

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    FWIW, I chatted with a EBRP Sheriff the other day about the new Ford Explorers that they're using. He said that they can't keep transmissions in them ... which is par for the course with Ford, from what I hear.

He said that the Tahoes they used to run were fantastic. Took a beating and kept on going.

mike

It’s the platform. Full-size truck parts while take a beating especially when built to. Car and crossover parts struggle to keep up. RWD tend to hold up a little better under excessive abuse than front wheel drive or front/part-time awd

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Well Chrysler wasn’t really known for long lasting automobiles, and the Fiat influence has been good for the Chrysler brands. I would like to believe the newer Chargers are significantly improved in quality similar to the Ram Trucks are.

But let’s be honest even the interceptor motors aren’t made to last under severe duty I’m sure these cars are expected to preform under.

We used to "hot swap" the crown vics so they ran almost 24 hours a day and only had a day off when we weren't working at a full shift. And even then most of us ran as one man cars so most of the cars still got street time. We didn't have too many in and out the shop for motor issues.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    We used to "hot swap" the crown vics so they ran almost 24 hours a day and only had a day off when we weren't working at a full shift. And even then most of us ran as one man cars so most of the cars still got street time. We didn't have too many in and out the shop for motor issues.

I’m always impressed when I here things like that about certain cars. I always heard good things about crown vics as taxi’s too.

Did you ever track the hours ran to miles driven? That would be interesting to see how that shakes out.

We buy AL DOT (road crew) trucks at auction and the trucks can be really new looking and be clean in and out. The biggest problem we see is the motors have ran so much at idle they have equivalent wear to trucks that have hundreds of thousands of miles.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    I’m always impressed when I here things like that about certain cars. I always heard good things about crown vics as taxi’s too.

Did you ever track the hours ran to miles driven? That would be interesting to see how that shakes out.

We buy AL DOT (road crew) trucks at auction and the trucks can be really new looking and be clean in and out. The biggest problem we see is the motors have ran so much at idle they have equivalent wear to trucks that have hundreds of thousands of miles.

Mine has 9k miles and 28:50 hours

Top Bottom