New Law on Pistol Attachments.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    Final resolution on this AG/DOJ braced pistol debacle will be resolved in the federal courts. But it may take two or five years to resolve it. I can't help but have a gut feeling this "free ATF stamp/120 day amnesty period" is a really trojan horse to accomplish their greater goal. I mean its common knowledge Biden and the Dums want to ban sales of new AR-15 rifles and pistols like right now. Along with about 40 or 50 other high cap rifles named and listed. I posted a link to that House Bill earlier. Ban new sales and manufacture of, and then go after existing owners. Especially when you have an ATF/NFA registry comprised of maybe 20 or 30 million known owners, and where they live. The Dums are not going to stop at banning new weapons and sales in the US. You are kidding yourself if you believe that exclusively.

jessopher

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 26, 2010
    covington
    Again… proposed rule… not law… :deadhorse:
    It isn't as much of a rule as it is a clarification and expansion on the definition of what a rifle is, the law regarding having barrels on a rifle shorter than 18" then later 16" was established long ago. This final ruling will stand and whatever you want to do with that is up to you. My opinions don't matter, your opinions don't matter, I'm sure we would all abolish the atf and nfa if we could, but the small group of people who's opinions do matter have made their decision.

rc72mhz

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 31, 2022
    Lafayette
    Can these pistols with braces be modified to make them a legal rifle by adding a shoulder stock and longer barrel? I don't have one of these, but it seems possible if this new rule holds up.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Final resolution on this AG/DOJ braced pistol debacle will be resolved in the federal courts. But it may take two or five years to resolve it. I can't help but have a gut feeling this "free ATF stamp/120 day amnesty period" is a really trojan horse to accomplish their greater goal. I mean its common knowledge Biden and the Dums want to ban sales of new AR-15 rifles and pistols like right now. Along with about 40 or 50 other high cap rifles named and listed. I posted a link to that House Bill earlier. Ban new sales and manufacture of, and then go after existing owners. Especially when you have an ATF/NFA registry comprised of maybe 20 or 30 million known owners, and where they live. The Dums are not going to stop at banning new weapons and sales in the US. You are kidding yourself if you believe that exclusively.
    Over the past few years, millions of braces have been sold and, presumably, been installed on weapons. Let's say those are now illegal unless the owner registers it as an SBR. And let's make it really easy and free and not limit the number of weapons that can be registered.

So without any law being repealed, changed, or added, millions of weapons could be added to the nfa registry if the configurations of those weapons do not change. So, yeah, this is a trojan horse. It's certainly not about safety despite the claim. If it were, the gov-ment sure wouldn't have made it easy and free to keep the dangerous pistol with a brace.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    Can these pistols with braces be modified to make them a legal rifle by adding a shoulder stock and longer barrel? I don't have one of these, but it seems possible if this new rule holds up.
    Most certainly. Add a 16" barrel or greater, and a butt stock and its now a rifle config going forward.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Dear ATF,

Uh…..?

Attachments

• 01A8BFAE-6808-4354-9A2A-F23DB55C7C6E.png
      01A8BFAE-6808-4354-9A2A-F23DB55C7C6E.png
      1.9 MB · Views: 77
    • D56C4B70-3297-4320-9302-13882C07762C.png
      D56C4B70-3297-4320-9302-13882C07762C.png
      4.4 MB · Views: 76

jessopher

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 26, 2010
    covington
    Alright so with the buffer tube, we are recommending for those that want to keep their pistol in pistol configuration and not register it as an nfa item to go back to the old style pistol buffer tube without any kind of adjustment points for length of pull like the m4 buffer tube or even the dimples for set screws like the kak tube etc has. We had our lawyer look through everything last Friday when it was released, of course things apply differently when you are an ffl and that is largely what this is designed to go after...ffls, manufacturers, and distributors. The more licenses they can get pulled with the zero tolerance policy while simultaneously pushing "common sense" reforms like universal background checks will possibly make it more difficult for people in certain areas to exercise their 2a rights. Had a customer yesterday who had one of those stubby strike industries tube that requires a special buffer and I was like yeah that should be good to go but was told since it still had divets milled on it was still a no go so that is the policy we will be operating under. Basically going back to the same way things were before the pistol braces became a thing.

lesgeaux

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Oct 18, 2009
    Marrero, LA
    Thanks ATF. You have now convinced me to go out an buy an AR pistol. I have stayed away from that firearm because I did not really see a want in my life for one. You are a good salesman, now I just have to go get one with that nice spongy buffer tube. BTW does the foam have to be a certain thickness?

paddle007

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Covington
    I will assume a standard buffer tube with adjustments modified with a piccatinny rail for a rear sling mount will not meet the letter of the "rule"?
    It's impossible to mount a stock without removing the short rail.

EightySix

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 21, 2013
    Ponchatoula
    Before braces, I saw suggestions that people could put rubber walking stick tips on the back of the buffer tube so the pistol would lean up against the wall without sliding over.

View attachment 132420
    sorry, its up the the atf to interpret the rules so,

(iv) Whether the surface area that allows the weapon to be fired from the shoulder is created by a buffer tube, receiver extension, or any other accessory, component, or other rearward attachment that is necessary for the cycle of operations;

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    Before braces, I saw suggestions that people could put rubber walking stick tips on the back of the buffer tube so the pistol would lean up against the wall without sliding over.

View attachment 132420

I made one from a 4x4 pine wood block I had laying in the garage, a scrap from another project. Hand sawed to rough form, shaped it, bored a hole to press fit onto the buffer tube, a little longer OAL to correct the super short LOP with a standard buffer tube. Painted it flat black. All hand tools in my garage. Works great.

Sapperboomboom

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 28, 2017
    Slidell
    I made one from a 4x4 pine wood block I had laying in the garage, a scrap from another project. Hand sawed to rough form, shaped it, bored a hole to press fit onto the buffer tube, a little longer OAL to correct the super short LOP with a standard buffer tube. Painted it flat black. All hand tools in my garage. Works great.
    Pics?

Top Bottom