New member to the 1911 gang now!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Denham Springs/Watson, La
    Wilson Combat 1911 mags have never failed me.
    What gets me is this gun never had a malfunction for several hundred rds till Saturday night. When I realized what was going on I had the factory mad loaded with my last handful of WWB ammo and wanted to save it so I didn't try it again. I might order 2 Mecgar and 2 Wilson Combat mags after Christmas. I'm still trying to gather all the things I need to reload 45 acp right now.

skwidd

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 28, 2021
    NOLA
    I don't shoot WWB through any of my 1911s anymore. They jammed all of my 1911s, Kimber, Tisas, Bul, RIA, MPA. RIA and MPA are both double stacks and had the same problem. The guys at the range came to the conclusion that WWB is probably using cheap, dirty powder, which is causing extraction issues. Dunno if that helps.

Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I don't shoot WWB through any of my 1911s anymore. They jammed all of my 1911s, Kimber, Tisas, Bul, RIA, MPA. RIA and MPA are both double stacks and had the same problem. The guys at the range came to the conclusion that WWB is probably using cheap, dirty powder, which is causing extraction issues. Dunno if that helps.
    That's strange, because it's what is the most accurate ammo in mine. The Remington ammo which I thought would be good wasn't that accurate. WWB is my favorite ammo right now, but I have yet to try other good brands.

Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    So I've been playing with my gun and can't figure out why my gun isn't locking back on a empty mag like it was at first. I've cleaned and lubed it, checked my mags and it still won't lock back as it should. Installing a empty mag and hand cycling the slide it won't lock back. The factory ACT mag pushes up on the slide but the Metalform don't. Yet the ACT does but it still don't lock back by hand cycling. Any suggestions?

SVT Bansheeman

No more laughing dog
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Lockport, LA
    What gets me is this gun never had a malfunction for several hundred rds till Saturday night.
    Was it servers hundred rounds before it was cleaned?

I've been reading on the Tisas groups that some of the people there have guns which do not like Wilson Combat mags. Maybe your RIA gun is the same way.

Mitch Dufour

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Ruston
    Bam Bam - a few questions.

1) Have you changed the recoil spring or added a shock buffer?

2) You said "it still don't lock back by hand cycling".... Is the slide traveling far enough back to allow the slide stop to engage?

3) Does the slide lock back on all the mags when you are shooting live rounds?

Mitch Dufour

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Ruston
    Was it servers hundred rounds before it was cleaned?

I've been reading on the Tisas groups that some of the people there have guns which do not like Wilson Combat mags. Maybe your RIA gun is the same way.

What forums? Does Bam Bam have any Wilson Combat mags or a Tisas?

SVT Bansheeman

No more laughing dog
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Lockport, LA
    What forums? Does Bam Bam have any Wilson Combat mags or a Tisas?
    Its a tisas FB group, not a forum. I don't remember if I read the same via Google searches which typically bring up reddit and popular 1911 forums.

I'm not sure what mags he has yet. I actually misread a post thinking he did. However, my point was some mags do not like to work with certain guns regardless of how great of a rep they have. I will try to be more clear next time. My mistake.

I really hope his gun is mechanically fine since it's new.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2023
    Gonzales, LA
    I finally got my 1911 off layaway and in my possession. Tore it down and cleaned/lubed it up good. I have alot to learn about it that's for sure. I've got ammo in hand and ordering a few more mags soon and will make range trip asap.
    Next is the 2011 gang!

Attachments

• xc.jpg
      xc.jpg
      285.7 KB · Views: 34

Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Bam Bam - a few questions.

1) Have you changed the recoil spring or added a shock buffer?

2) You said "it still don't lock back by hand cycling".... Is the slide traveling far enough back to allow the slide stop to engage?

3) Does the slide lock back on all the mags when you are shooting live rounds?
    #1 no changes to gun, only cleaned.
    #2 Yes

#3 can't remember exactly as I was checking accuracy with different brands ammo. I was wondering if that was the issue, but it still had issues with Winchester (red box).

Attachments

• 20231203_134437.jpg
      20231203_134437.jpg
      297 KB · Views: 29

Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Its a tisas FB group, not a forum. I don't remember if I read the same via Google searches which typically bring up reddit and popular 1911 forums.

I'm not sure what mags he has yet. I actually misread a post thinking he did. However, my point was some mags do not like to work with certain guns regardless of how great of a rep they have. I will try to be more clear next time. My mistake.

I really hope his gun is mechanically fine since it's new.

Gun appears to be fine and no obvious issues. I have 1 factory ACT mag and 3 Metalform. The latter is what I was using when I noticed it not locking back. Iirc this started after a few mags were ran thru the gun. I ran 100 rds of Remington ammo and another 50+ rds of Winchester. Ammo types were alternatively used during range session.
    I don't own a Tisas....yet.

Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I did take the slide off and try inserting an empty mag, the Metalform mags don't push up the slide lock, but the ACT mag does, yet cycling by hand it still doesn't lock back. I really need to test it live, but not going to range right now just for "testing" purposes right now. Neither mags push up on slide lock with slide installed and slide lock isn't binding either.

Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    So playing around a little today I think I kind figured out something but I'm not sure it's fixed yet. I compared the 2 different mags and found the tab that pushes up on the slide lock are different. I found that the metalform mags follower can tilt nose down too easily where the ACT doesn't. So I bent the tabs on the followers to tighten them up and that seemed to work, but have yet to test it with live ammo.

Attachments

• 20231203_192632.jpg
      20231203_192632.jpg
      522.5 KB · Views: 31
    • 20231203_194324.jpg
      20231203_194324.jpg
      345.4 KB · Views: 32

Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    For those more expirenced on these than I am, would y'all suggest to replace the slide lock with a better brand? Also I feel a slight bur on the edge of the locking notch in the slide. I am very tempted to file this down as I can see it causing a issue with my slide not locking properly.

Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    How big a 'burr is it? Can you post a good pic of it?
    Best I could get of it. If I slide a straight edge from muzzle to chamber along the underside of the slide it catches on bur. I also took pics of slide lock itself and it appears to have a worn or beveled edge on it. See any issues?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231227_210821_Gallery.jpg
      Screenshot_20231227_210821_Gallery.jpg
      213.9 KB · Views: 22
    • Screenshot_20231227_210806_Gallery.jpg
      Screenshot_20231227_210806_Gallery.jpg
      180.6 KB · Views: 24
    • 20231227_211236.jpg
      20231227_211236.jpg
      243.1 KB · Views: 25

Mitch Dufour

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Ruston
    That little bit of peening is not an uncommon issue. Could be the heat treat of the slide and or the angle of engagement when the slide stop moves up into the slot. The next time you are at the range, take a few pics of the cut with the slide stop engaged AFTER it locks back on an empty mag. The depth into the cut and the angle of the interface can be informative. The stop SHOULD engage deeply into the stop, not just the bottom of it and the face of the stop parallel to the back of the slot.

Below is a sample of a good fit.

slide stop good fit.JPG

Last edited:
    Top Bottom