New Radar in Louisiana?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    zy8epuqe.jpg
    I saw that this morning but people like to believe they are bing watched

Pas Tout La

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    Droite La
    I think you completely missed the sarcasm in my post that the "brand new" technology of L.A.S.E.R. is not actually brand new. It won't show up on a radar detector though so the OP was asking if the "radar gun" was some new kind of device. It was a laser speed detector. There is no new breed.

Thanks for the clarification. I'm not up to date in speed detecting devices. I was riding with my boss and he got pissed when it didn't detect it. I don't have a radar detector. I've never needed one. Do the speed limit and I'm fine. The occasional times I do speed and if I'm caught, I just thank the officer and pay the ticket. Can't fault a man for doing his job.

I think it would be pretty neat to have in Lousiana. I'm sure the police have better things to do than look for speeders. Why not use a camera? The more efficient the better.

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    I think you completely missed the sarcasm in my post that the "brand new" technology of L.A.S.E.R. is not actually brand new. It won't show up on a radar detector though so the OP was asking if the "radar gun" was some new kind of device. It was a laser speed detector. There is no new breed.

Yeah, I missed it.

Don't most fuzz busters p/u laser now? The one I have does and works well.
    :eh:

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Valentine is the best unit for laser AFAIK.
    The passports and work the same for lasers. If you get hit with a laser and are speeding, you're done. Detector doesn't help much against lasers if you are speeding. They work better for radars.

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    The passports and work the same for lasers. If you get hit with a laser and are speeding, you're done. Detector doesn't help much against lasers if you are speeding. They work better for radars.

A couple of times a cop with a laser must have hit a car ahead of me and mine reacted. I wasn't going that much over the limit.

For the most part, I go with the flow. My experience now is the trucks travel right at 70mph and I go a bit faster than them In my old age I have stopped trying to bust ass.

:ohreally:

Scoobie

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2013
    Shreveport/Bossier
    Depends on which Passport you buy. The top of the line Passport costs ~$1500 and comes with front/rear laser jammers (yes, jammers, not just detectors), GPS warnings for speedtraps/redlight cameras, along with autolearn and manual signal lockout.

The only caveat is that the jammer is a ZR4 Laser Shifter, an outdated tech (circa 2006 or so), and there are several better performers out there such as the Blinder or Laser Interceptors systems. It is meant for smaller dark sports cars, not large shiny behemoths.

Number 1 complaint on the V1 is due to its false alarms. It has ZERO laser jamming capability unless you buy a separate system.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie

Valentine will catch laser "scatter" off of other cars and is generally more sensitive to laser.

However it will "detect" laser from stuff like infinifi cruise control and trailblazer taillights. Less sensitive detectors don't have those problems.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Valentine will catch laser "scatter" off of other cars and is generally more sensitive to laser.

However it will "detect" laser from stuff like infinifi cruise control and trailblazer taillights. Less sensitive detectors don't have those problems.

The chance of catching splatter that will help you is slim to none. I have caught splatter then got hit half a second later. If I wasn't paying attention and saw him before he pointed at me I could have gotten a ticket...though I don't go more than 9 over often so its not likely. And I am really nice :)

--Sent From My Galaxy S4

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    Pineville/Alexandria
    Why not just drive the limit and not worry?

MOST officers will give you 10-15 over anyway.

With a city dept I worked with we wrote 11-15+ at our discretion (local judge wouldn't accept under 11 except for school zones). A few guys wrote at 11, most at 13 and a few of us at 15, depending upon external factors. The troopers I knew at the time wrote at 7-8 - don't know ANY that let it go to 10-15.

fallingbird

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 2, 2009
    Metairie
    I would like to think that at least one Cajun wouldn't like that speed camera taking his picture on the basin. He might just spray it with some of that stuff on tv that turns a screen door into a flatboat.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Yeah, I missed it.

Don't most fuzz busters p/u laser now? The one I have does and works well.
    :eh:

Yes, they confirm that you have been hit, unless you get SUPER LUCKY and it picks up splash off of a vehicle ahead of you. Lidar is very popular in South LA, around BR/NO. I never once picked any up on my Valentine 1 and I saw numerous police officers shooting lidar from the side of the road and leaving out after speeders.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport

It also depends on where it's mounted. In my Corvette, I missed out on a lot of the false alerts. In my 370Z, it is at the perfect height to constantly be going off around anything with the right kind of tail-lights. Mostly the newer bright LED looking type.

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    Yes, they confirm that you have been hit, unless you get SUPER LUCKY and it picks up splash off of a vehicle ahead of you. Lidar is very popular in South LA, around BR/NO. I never once picked any up on my Valentine 1 and I saw numerous police officers shooting lidar from the side of the road and leaving out after speeders.

I've p/u the splash twice.

This reinforces to me at least the need to not stand out to a cop, go with the flow so to speak, mebbe just a tad faster, and keep a lookout for cops.

When I was travelling to Vermont regularly a while back just before they raised the limit from 55, I got better warnings from my CB than with the fuzz buster. That, of course, doesn't work on lonely roads, which are more fun to speed on.

Of course you could leave a little early and not need to speed . . . .

;)

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    Pineville/Alexandria
    I've p/u the splash twice.

This reinforces to me at least the need to not stand out to a cop, go with the flow so to speak, mebbe just a tad faster, and keep a lookout for cops.

When I was travelling to Vermont regularly a while back just before they raised the limit from 55, I got better warnings from my CB than with the fuzz buster. That, of course, doesn't work on lonely roads, which are more fun to speed on.

Of course you could leave a little early and not need to speed . . . .

;)

The leaving early thing won't work.
    It's not a need TO speed - it's a need FOR speed, lol.

Dishonored

Hunter
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    I don't really speed. Until I get pissed. Then it's just enough to get away from idiots.
    I hate when two cars see who can hold traffic up the longest and stay next to one another on a two lane road. That's the one thing that really chaps my ass.
    That and the cars that are in such a RUSH, they forget how to use their Mirrors and merge over on you.
    It happens A LOT on the bike and only a couple times in my truck.

The other day a guy left a red light after making eye contact with me and he just all a sudden decided to merge because the car in the other Lane was stopping to turn off. His trailer missed my front wheel by about 6".
    I was sick after that and pissed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Gordoloco
    Top Bottom