New Surgeon Rifles Scalpel

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Santa came a day early and I picked up my new Team Surgeon Rifles build on Christmas Eve. It came out better than expected. Big thanks to Surgeon Rifles! She is built on the 591R action with KMW Gen2 bolt handle and is finished at 26", chambered in 6.5x47Lapua. Sitting in a McMillan Group International A5 in OTM Tactical Supply custom grey marble pattern with Terry Cross KMW hardware. It is Cerakoted in Cerakote Firearm Coatings Sniper Grey. Sporting Surgeon DBM and a Jewell trigger supported by an ATLAS bipod. On top is a Schmidt & Bender 5-25 x56 PMII held on by a set of Badger Ordnance rings.

dnkfom.jpg

2cwu7if.jpg

ajs64o.jpg

25pr902.jpg

Last edited:

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    That's a damn good looking rifle! I'm not too familiar with the round. What is a good range for it?

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Freebore was specd by some other team guys but I think they told me 0.135. Joe Walls uses a .115, I think GAP had a .120 reamer. Anything .115 to .140 works well with the 140 Hybrids.

Range, at 2800 fps the bullet will be supersonic out to over 1500 yards. However, the majority of our shots are 400 - 800 typically with a few past that. Usually 1000 or 1100 is max. Furthest I've shot for score was 1300 but that was with a different caliber (6mm Creedmoor).

Last edited:

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Freebore was specd by some other team guys but I think they told me 0.135. Joe Walls uses a .115, I think GAP had a .120 reamer. Anything .115 to .140 works well with the 140 Hybrids.

Range, at 2800 fps the bullet will be supersonic out to over 1500 yards. However, the majority of our shots are 400 - 800 typically with a few past that. Usually 1000 or 1100 is max. Furthest I've shot for score was 1300 but that was with a different caliber (6mm Creedmoor).

What kind of grouping can you get at that range?

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    If you are talking 1500 yards I really can't say because I do not shoot at that distance. But I can tell you that it is not a direct answer. First ammo is key, if every round left the muzzle with the exact same velocity then the vertical dispersion would theoretically be the same. The left and right or horizontal dispersion would be dictated by wind or how good the shooter could correct for the wind. If I had to take a guess I would say a three round 10 inch group may be possible. I can say that at a 1000 yards you should be able to shoot 5 inch groups with this caliber in good conditions with consistent ammunition. Maybe not every single time, human error / wind / ammo variations, but it would be possible more often than people may think.

I shot 50 rounds of a generic load I loaded and the vertical at 1000 was poor so I know that is not the load for the rifle. I have 25 rounds with a different powder I am going to try tomorrow if the weather holds out. I plan to shoot atleast 5 rounds at 1000. If it shows promise I'll report back. Basically if it shoots good at 100 I check it at 600. I'm looking for a 3" or less vertical 3 round group. Also I run the load over a chronograph and I want my ES to be less than 20 and my SD to be single digit.

Last edited:

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    If you are talking 1500 yards I really can't say because I do not shoot at that distance. But I can tell you that it is not a direct answer. First ammo is key, if every round left the muzzle with the exact same velocity then the vertical dispersion would theoretically be the same. The left and right or horizontal dispersion would be dictated by wind or how good the shooter could correct for the wind. If I had to take a guess I would say a three round 10 inch group may be possible. I can say that at a 1000 yards you should be able to shoot 5 inch groups with this caliber in good conditions with consistent ammunition. Maybe not every single time, human error / wind / ammo variations, but it would be possible more often than people may think.

I shot 50 rounds of a generic load I loaded and the vertical at 1000 was poor so I know that is not the load for the rifle. I have 25 rounds with a different powder I am going to try tomorrow if the weather holds out. I plan to shoot atleast 5 rounds at 1000. If it shows promise I'll report back. Basically if it shoots good at 100 I check it at 600. I'm looking for a 3" or less vertical 3 round group. Also I run the load over a chronograph and I want my ES to be less than 20 and my SD to be single digit.

Interesting. Where do you shoot 1000 yards at?

Untranslate

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 12, 2012
    Looks nice. I have always wanted a precision long range rifle. But my skill level is more red rider!

Top Bottom