New Surgeon Rifles Scalpel

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    So as promised. Basically the first day I shot rounds loaded with H4350 powder and it did not perform up to my standards. The second day I had a few more rounds of H4350 that I shot to foul the barrel as I had cleaned it when I got home from the prior outing. The conditions were basically a 15 mph wind from about the 4:30 position. When I am looking at groups I break it down into vertical and horizontal. The vertical is more or less due to how consistent the load is in the rifle (how well the rifle "likes" the load). The left and right or horizontal is more a function (especially in these conditions) of wind. What I am looking for is 1/2 MOA of vertical at distance (1" at 200, 2" at 400, 3" at 600, 5" at 1000, ect.), if it shoots that then you know you are in the ball park of what the rifle likes. The magic to accuracy is AMMO, PERIOD! Don't get me wrong you need a quality rifle but ammo is the key component. The best rifle in the world won't shoot worth a damn if it is not the proper load for it.

All the shots on the target were from the previous outing and zeroing the scope originally EXCEPT the 4 round group on the top right. After I shot the Varget loads at 600, 815 and 1000 I could tell the rifle liked those better than the H4350 so I went zero the rifle to the Varget load. After shooting the 4 rounds I came 2 clicks left and zeroed the windage. Now the rifle is zeroed for the Varget load.

azf1vt.jpg

3524rd5.jpg

Now on to 600. The H4350 actually looks ok here. It was much better than when I had shot the H4350 load on the previous outing. The first round on the H4350 target was the one to the left, I had not quite compensated enough for wind. I adjusted my hold to the right and shot the last 4 rounds all with the same hold for the last 4 shots. Again I am looking at vertical only here. I dont care about left and right or overall group size. All of the following are 5 round groups. A few are hard to tell exactly where because 2 shots are really close but I saw the target react to every shot.

2j4rs3l.jpg

bgw9b7.jpg

Looks like 2 on top of each other in the top splatter then you can see the jacket peeled on the side of the flapper for a 4th round and the last one is in the flapper (center circle is what I call "flapper" because it reacts when hit, which is 7.5" for reference). I saw the first shot go left and if this were a competition I would have corrected by that amount. But shooting for groups I held me same wind hold for all shots.

1zxpati.jpg

Notice here at 815 the vertical on the H4350 load starts to open up compared to Varget.

mjlq4o.jpg

The last shot I could tell I did not break it clean. It felt like it was going high but I cannot swear that the top impact is indeed the last round as I was not really inspecting the target after each shot. If that is indeed the case then then other 4 have a great vertical dispersion.

2gudr8i.jpg

I did not shoot at H4350 at 1000 on this day but the time prior it was complete junk. Like really bad. With this Varget load the last round was the low impact. I really do not know what happened there as I broke the shot clean and I pinned the trigger. When it left I was really expecting to see the flapper react. I watched it impact low and I really have no idea why. I'll chalk that one up to the "WTF factor". 3 of the 5 have a great vertical, the 4th isn't bad but the 5th (low) is complete crap.

2rqdmb6.jpg

Hopefully this has been slightly educational.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jamesernestomurray
    Top Bottom