New to 1911 platform - so, RIA or COLT

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2012
    Uptown, New Orleans
    Yes, I had sort of forgotten about the SR1911. I was taken with it when I saw one at a show a few months ago. However, now I'm looking at the STI pistols. I love the FO front site on the spartan, but that rear site is awful. Apparently I still have some research to do.

Also, are any of the models mentioned already forged versus cast parts? Or does that *really* make a difference?

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    What do you not like about the rear sight? If this will be a range gun, the large, black, serrated rear sight is what you want.
    Give the guys at STI a call. They just might be able to put you in one of their other models without too much more $

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2012
    Uptown, New Orleans
    The rear sites looked huge. I just think you should be able to shoot just as well with smaller rear sites. Now, having said that, it's possible that the model I saw had aftermarket rear sites, and my comment is unfair as what I saw wasn't a stock rear site.

I will have to look up some additional pics to verify.

And, even if it's a range gun, I still want to be pleased with how it looks. I just wasn't taken with the size of what I saw.

1911Dave

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Mandeville
    The rear site you are probably seeing is the target style site. Its standard on them I believe. I have it on mine and its geat.

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    After my previous post in this thread suggesting a brand other than Colt, I feel a bit hypocritical, but I spotted a new Colt Government 1911 in stainless at my favorite gun store and it had to come home with me.

After removing the slide and looking underneath, all of the machining marks that were left behind on prior Colts that I've seen manufactured recently weren't there.

This actually looked like the quality Colt from decades ago. I was impressed. The fit and finish were what I would expect for a $1000 pistol.

So, take this advice for what it cost you.

Col_Sanders

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    Deridder
    There is nothing wrong with RIAs. They are good guns and reasonably priced. They are not as tight as some of the other brands mentioned, but they are good shooters and in my experience they are reliable. When I bought my first 1911, I was going to get one but the only ones at the gun show were 2 tone and I didnt care for the finish. I bought a Metro Arms instead. From the factory I had quite a few problems with it but I think I've got it straightened out after a new barrel and a new recoil spring. I'm in the market for another and I'm going to get something a little fancier. I'm mainly looking for a Springfield Loaded or a Ruger SR1911.

The Paras I played around with were tight and seemed to have great fit and finish. I havent ever shot one though. STIs seem to be a good bang for the buck but I cant get past the huge roll marks. I like something more subtle.

fishbaja2

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Baton rouge
    RUger

I dont have one yet but all the reviews speak highly of the ruger 1911. They are not easy to find but for quality/price im told worth the search.

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2012
    Uptown, New Orleans
    Actually, after going to the Gonzales Fun Show this weekend, and seeing how all the models felt and a real inspection in my hand, I think I will go with secret option number 3, the SR1911 from Ruger. I've been taken with that model as well and was really impressed with it when I looked it over Saturday. I'll probably have to save for another couple of months now due to some ammo buys, 1 small holster purchase and 1 bigger holster planned purchase. Oh well, anticipation is part of the joy.

Btw, not to hijack my own thread, but does anyone have any experience with the Galco Kingtuk?

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    I have one for a Sig 229 Elite and really like it. I carry it from time to time until my permit gets processed. I took the Gun Fighter 1 class with it and preformed well.

dbradgriffith

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2012
    Waveland, MS
    As far as value, it's hard to beat the Taurus PT1911.

I normally don't recommend Taurus pistols at all, but dollar for dollar, I believe the PT1911 is the best value in the 1911 market.

All the custom features, and they can usually be purchased for around $600.
    I couldn't agree more. My PT1911 has outperformed many a Para or Springfield. It comes stock the the beavertail, which will not be the case on the Colt or a base model RIA (not sure about the tactical). And as I just shot my newly acquired Colt Govt Series 80 yesterday and got hammer bit, that freakin matters. I love the Colt, but I wouldn't have wanted to start out on it. I personally got my PT for less than $400. I hear really good things about RIA 1911's too and they can be found in that range. I strongly recommend starting off with a "starter 1911" not a collectors item.

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2012
    Uptown, New Orleans
    Actually I think I'll be getting a Ruger SR1911 to start. Heard really good things about them and they have everything I want (that I know of right now - stainless, series 70, skel hammer, beaver tail, double diamond grips, metal backstrap, 3 dot sites, etc). And, as an added bonus, it's American made. Not that I have anything against foreign made, but nice to buy local / domestic when you can.

Col_Sanders

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    Deridder
    I have only read one negative review of the Ruger and I think the guy that wrote it had a few high end 1911s. I want to buy one, and at under $700 I'll probably bite, but no way would I pay $8-900 for it. I'll get a Springfield Loaded or Range Officer at that price. The fit and finish on the ones I have handled were superior to the Ruger. I have not shot either one though.

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2012
    Uptown, New Orleans
    Yes, I wouldn't mind some of the SA 1911's, but I just don't dig on the GI style. It would have to be the RO or Loaded. Love the look of the loaded, but I have another Ruger that I LOVE (SR40C), so I expect the SR1911 to be equally fantastic.

If I had unlimited funds, I would really love a Dan Wesson, but.. that's not the case. Oh well, that will be one of my "some day" guns.

meplatgroup

Louisiana's #1 NFA Dealer
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Metairie, La.
    I'm a 1911 ho. I love my glocks, but deep down inside I have a soft spot for my chrome plated sissy pistols. Here's my thoughts. I have a fullsize RIA tactical that I love. I can grab any 1911 that passes through here and I stick with that one. Cheap, accurate, and reliable. It's my go to 1911 right now (I have old Colts, too---meh).

I agree about what one poster said on the Taurus. Hands down the most bang for the buck currently. More bang for the buck than my beloved RIA. I sell them for $545 out the door. I also have an RIA Compact tactical right now for $520. Both brand new. Both awesome. Both cheap.

I've also got a bunch of Springfields coming in. I may molest the Range Officer and Stainless Match that will be passing through. Only time will tell if we will pass like two ships in the night or if one becomes a keeper. Springfield makes some nice pistols, but until you get to their higher end stuff they are not as nice as the RIA Tactical and Taurus and cost more money. This from a guy that gets to fondle everything.

Call me if I may be of service or if you want to come over and see my wares.

Kenny 504-717-3377

dbradgriffith

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2012
    Waveland, MS
    I am very intrigued by the SR1911, especially the commander. But the damn thing is like the Bigfoot of the 1911 world. People tell me they have actually seen one in person and i tend not to believe them. I really want to see if it feels as good as it looks.

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2012
    Uptown, New Orleans
    I saw one at the Gonzales gun show a few weeks ago. I think they were asking $775 or so for it. From what I have seen, the grip is the same as the full size, so I would expect the feel (except for the weight) should be the same as the full size. Good luck on your search. Nothing beats a real in-the-flesh test.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Top Bottom