New to 1911 platform - so, RIA or COLT

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    I have an SR1911. I like it. It shoots great. I don't have a terrible many rounds through it yet (around 1000), but no issues so far.
    Springers are good guns.
    RIAs are good guns.
    Colt is Colt
    STI is a great option.

I would pass on a Taurus because thier resale sucks... the ones above do well.
    I would pass on Para because after they moved to NC, their quality issues piled high and I'm not sure they have overcome them.

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    I would pass on Para because after they moved to NC, their quality issues piled high and I'm not sure they have overcome them.
    Para USA, not Para Ordnance, is in NC. It is not the same company. Para USA puts out a much better product than Para Ordnance ever did.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Para USA, not Para Ordnance, is in NC. It is not the same company. Para USA puts out a much better product than Para Ordnance ever did.

When Para USA moved to NC, they were part of Para Ordnance and they had quality issues after the move. Last time I looked into buying one, they were really trying to turn things around with the new quality manager (I forget who) and Travis Tomasie (who is amazingly adept at helping customers even though he is in a role where you dont normally see that). Last time I looked they weren't there, but I'd like to see that change. They have good looking guns and aren't overly proud of front slide serrations.

dbradgriffith

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2012
    Waveland, MS
    I actually have a Para Expert Stainless on its way to me. So I kinda hope u are wrong about quality issues. Not that I mind replacing a part or two. My Taurus is the only 1911 that hasn't needed something replaced. My Springfield had two pins fall out and refuse to go back in. Actually had to send it back to them. I do have to say that they were great about it though. I bought it used and had no warranty paperwork. They fixed and sent it back with a card for me to pick up the warranty. The Para Ordnance GI had a grip safety that would stick down. Local smith replaced it and it wasn't a problem. For the most part, unless you spend over $1000 for one, any 1911 is going to have some little thing to fix in my experience. Though I hear really good things about both Ruger and Reminton's in terms of working well right out of the box. As previously stated, I still think the SR1911 is like the UFO's on TV. Some is just doctoring photos and the gun doesn't really exist until someone provides me with tangible proof otherwise. I have held the Remington R1 though. The action is by far the smoothest I ever felt. And generally nice, classic look overall. Matter of fact, anyone own one here that can tell me if I need to risk divorce one more time and buy one?

Col_Sanders

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    Deridder
    In the past couple months I've seen several SR1911s at gun shows and at Academy in Alexandria and in Lake Charles.

I really dont know much about the Remingtons. Fondled several and they felt smooth and tight. There just isnt much love for them in most forums. :confused:

dbradgriffith

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2012
    Waveland, MS
    I agree that they get little respect in the forums and I don't get it as every review I have read is very positive. As for the SR1911, a buddy from work called me one day from a local shop and said he was looking at a commander there. He knows I am looking to see one in person. Anyway, in the time it took me to hang up the phone, finish the file I was working in, and clock out and drive there to see for myself it was gone. Crazy.

dbradgriffith

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2012
    Waveland, MS
    While I gather that everyone has stopped talking here, I have to retract my sceptical comments about the SR1911. Local shop finally got a large shipment in and I have finally seen it for myself. It does actually exist. And it looks and feels as good as the reviewers say. It is a good thing I didn't even have access to the $660 it would have taken to leave with the commander because they would have had to sell me a sleeping back with it when my wife found out.

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2012
    Uptown, New Orleans
    It is a good thing I didn't even have access to the $660 it would have taken to leave with the commander...

What shop are you seeing it / them listed for that price? I'm nearing my save goal for gun and rounds, and the best I've seen around here is $700 at Jefferson Gun, and that was the online price. I haven't been in JGO in some time, but I recall the online price and the inshop price were different the last time I was there.

Anyway, I'm just curious as to locations with better than $700.

Thanks!

noobie

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2013
    Bossier City LA
    Springfield makes some very nice 1911s in my opinion, for around an average of $800 the RO is an extremely nice option. They always make the complete government style model for around the same price as an RIA, if you can find it!

Twin1300

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2013
    Denham Springs, LA
    I own a Desert Eagle 1911 and a Taurus PT 1911 and shoot them both. Price wise the Taurus is cheaper, but not quality. Remember, this is not a Taurus design, but a government model design and shoot just as good as any of the 1911's I have shot. Both are a medium priced weapon compared to others and they also make some cheaper ones. They both with come with excellent triggers, polished ramps, and the list goes on. The Desert Eagle 1911 45 is smooth as they come as far as the slide being slick and easy and the tolerances are good or better than most. NO SLACK anywhere or rattle like some 1911's. JMHO

...........................twin

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2012
    Uptown, New Orleans
    I dropped 7 and a half bills today for an SR1911 from Puglia's Sporting Goods on Vets in New Orleans. Was hitting up the local shops and sent them an email. Got a response today from Puglia's and I was in the car in less than 30 minutes headed there. Price was $689 plus 8.75% sales tax. Came out to $750 and change.

Anyway, it looks fantastic, and I can't wait til this weekend to shoot it. Well, assuming I don't have any issues finding 45ACP. Anyway, the hunt is over and I can finally take a break from saving up for guns and enjoy shooting and saving up for ammo. LOL.

Now I just hope the wife doesn't take a look in my gun safe and count the items she sees.

Bullwinkle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2013
    OK.......... I will give it my best shot (no pun intended).

As with any firearm platform, quality will vary from manufacturer to manufacture, not bashing, just stating to get that out of the way.

Obviously, by asking the question, you like the feel of a full size 1911 and in 45ACP you are able to handle the recoil. Surprising not all can smoothly get back on target.. It can be love or hate... I for one love it.

The price of an RIA compared to the XSE (based on what I have seen) is uncomparable. The Colt could run at least twice as much. Is the cost a deciding factor?
    Of course, it may play a small role, but nobody is recommending a Wilson Combat either.

If it is a starter, and you plan on getting a nicer weapon later, then go with the RIA, and shoot the crap out of it. Manage the recoil, get back on target, reload. Learn the weapon. Clean it.
    After all of this, you might find you have a reliable weapon, and no longer move on the second purchase.

If you are looking for quality the first purchase, then I can speak for the Colt (XSE or better). I purchased my Colt 1911 about 20 years ago and desire no other.
    It is simply the finest thing I have ever pulled the trigger on. But we get back to the money issue.

Are you in a $500 market or a $1000 market. I cannot speak on behalf of all the other manufacturers of 1911's, but quality will vary, and as with a lot of other things, you get what you pay for.

Both will handle almost identically, due to frame size and caliber, so not much difference there. Wear and tear, and manufacturing tolerances and features will show their worth in the long run.

Do more research, decide on how much you want to spend, and then go with your gut.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom