No Love For Beretta 92's?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    The fact is the beretta now has a external safety and is still the most popular choice for shooting the inside of a clearing barrel. I worked a gate for a year and it happened almost every other day. I can only imagine with a glock it would be everyday.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    The Big Army/AF/USMC/Navy/whoeva will NEVER buy a sidearm with out a manual safety lever. Never. There is no training program for pistols outside of the SOF community and some stuff the USMC does at Quantico. Rether than fix the software the hardware is modified. The thinking is if we aren't gonna teach them how to use it we need to make it as safe as we can. Dumb. The reason I think the eventual replacement, if it isn't a 92 variant, will be the M&P is because of the safety. I saw a Glock 17 with a manual safety that was presented to USASOC. It was made for an Australian Police contract and it was still born.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Is there a reason the safety is ass backward?

It never mattered to me with pistols I own that have a safety but are DA/SA. I only use the safety to drop the hammer and then switch it off. The heavy DA pull is the safety I thought. That DA pull is enough safety on my revolvers anyway....

Dave

Hardballing

Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    I agree with Sin Ister on this one.

One mans poison is another mans fine wine. Just too many variables regarding carry styles, persons size, shooting experience and training and just plain ole "I like it" to get into a this sucks or that doesn't argument. It's been the US Military standard for a long while now and for that reason alone I think most "handgunners" should own a variant. They are accurate and dependable pistols imo and experience.

And by the way to the OP, what does "those pistols are on the way out" mean? Because someone doesn't stock a holster for one? OR doesn't have one in stock? Or would rather sell you what they do have in stock? I think that the M9/M9a1 system is going to be around a looong, looong time since the US Gov just purchased 500,000 more of them. Doesn't sound like on the way out to me but what do I know.

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    :rofl:
    There ISN'T a good reason. You've already got the best... oh, wait, we aren't being judgmental here... :D

The only reason for us to have one is because its our country's service pistol, and that's the American thing to do. I have come SO close to buying one, a half dozen times, just because. For various reasons, I just never did.

Its one of those guns that, as an HK owner, lives in your safe, gets taken out and shot a bit once a year, then lies there waiting for the day when the SHTF and you need something to give your yuppie brother-in-law who was anti-gun right up to the point where the wogs started burning ****... ;)

If I carry a duty pistol it will be a M9. No point in me wasting my time training with one constant trigger pull ;) I got a couple for the anti gun BIL myself.

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    Without a doubt this gun still gets TONS of love. Almost 1000 views and so many comments. Even if it is a paris hilton type of fame :D

ShipWreck

Beretta 92 Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2006
    Texas, but from Louisiana
    Did someone say "Berettas?" :) :)

newberettawheel1.jpg

mini14

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    You gotta take notice though. If the gun store people think it's on its way out, that might make it more likely to go out before the stuff they carry holsters for. I still like my 92 but people these days seem to think lighter and cheaper is better lol.

Devilneck

S&W Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Slidell
    I"m not a big 9mm fan, but I had no issues with the M9. I found it very reliable, quite accurate, and I did not have any problems with the weight. Recoil was very light, quick recovery of sight picture, fast reloads.. It's a great service side arm. Would I prefer it over a 1911? No, but it does the job.

If you like it, and you're comfortable with it, do it up man. It's been field tested and found sound by many.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    It's not my only handgun but recently picked up a 92 INOX. I know I may be behind the curve, but after being a .45 guy for most of my life I decided to give in to the 9mm world. IMO, the whole .45 vs 9mm debate is kinda pointless considering improvements in ballistic technology and let's face it, we're sacrificing firepower for capacity so again IMO it's 6 of one or half-dozen of the other.

My USP Tactical in .45 came with 2-10 round mags when I bought it. I had to buy the "Hi-Capacity" 12-rounders for $50 each. Yeah, 50 bucks for 2 extra rounds. Mec-Gar makes flush-fitting 18-rounders that are more reliable than the OEM mags for the 92. For just a minimal amount more room, you can put a plus-2 floorplate on it for 20 rounds, plus one if you choose ! That's right up there with a 5.7 !

I'll be the first to admit that I have always had trouble shooting accurately with a pistol. There just aren't many pistols that feel natural to me. Had a Glock 23 and got rid of it because the trigger didn't feel right to me. Their "Safe-Action" trigger is like putting the brake pedal in front of the gas pedal. I know it's reliable and is probably the best at what they do but it just doesn't feel right in my hands.

WhenI shoot my 92, it just feels right in my hands. I actually hit what I am aiming at with it. I shoot like I've been having this gun for years. I am just discovering this fine pistol at a time when it seems like everyone else is abandoning it. Is this the case? Yesterday at 10-8 Tactical Gun Store my friend Maury told me they didn't have a holster for it because "The pistol is on it's way out." Is this true? :mad:

I'd like to know your thoughts on it. Thanks, jason. :)

In case you haven't noticed by now, it's also a popular choice to bash (:D).

I've owned one for around 5 years now and found it to be accurate & reliable. I think a lot of the "bad PR" you'll hear is based on experiences from military guys who are forced to use FMJ 9mm ammo- which most will tell you isn't the best manstopper in the world.....

Mine has worked quite well with every type of ammunition. Stovepipes won't be a problem, as there's nothing to snag on due to the slide design.

I'm keeping mine. :)

And one more thing: The guy who advised you "it's on the way out" is wrong. It'll be around.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    alwill112
    Top Bottom