NOLATAC Training Center - New Outdoor Range in Avondale

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Firearmfanatic

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 25, 2016
    Acadia Parish
    For that kind of money you could buy your own property to shoot at.

Yes indeed!
    Take that money for the membership that one would be paying and instead save it for a few years in a savings acount with interest regardless of how low the interest rate is, and then after awhile one has a fairly sizeable sum to either buy or equity to help them acquire a loan to buy their own property to shoot at where they can make their own range rules.

Last edited:

mickey

SSST
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    192   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    And this is why we can't post in the WTS threads.

The OP started this thread as info on a range that was trying to get its feet off the ground for those that may have interest, and it is turning into a dumpster fire.

If you can shoot 2k yards at your hunting camp, great. Good for you. If you have a range in your back yard, that is awesome. If you have the ability to purchase cheap land in the middle of BFE, do it and shoot till you have a blister on your trigger finger. Bottom line is that if you don't like the membership dues/shooting appointment arrangements being offered by this range, move along. It won't be a fit for everyone.
    I can tell you that a range of this size will cost plenty of $$$$$$$$ to run and maintain. If the membership numbers/dues are not there to keep it going, the management of the range will have to make decisions on how to balance those numbers to keep the gate open. If they don't, it will grow up in weeds. I truly hope that don't happen.
    Will I be purchasing a membership? Nope, It's not for me. I shoot 600 yards at Palo. If want to shoot a 1000 Yard match, I will take a 3.5 hr ride up to Bar 3 in Laurel, MS and pay the $40 fee. I do hope they consider holding matches there down the road though. It would be great to have another venue so close.

Last edited:

geoney

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 1, 2011
    Lake Charles

The OP started this thread as info on a range that was trying to get its feet off the ground for those that may have interest, and it is turning into a dumpster fire.

If you can shoot 2k yards at your hunting camp, great. Good for you. If you have a range in your back yard, that is awesome. If you have the ability to purchase cheap land in the middle of BFE, do it and shoot till you have a blister on your trigger finger. Bottom line is that if you don't like the membership dues/shooting appointment arrangements being offered by this range, move along. It won't be a fit for everyone.
    I can tell you that a range of this size will cost plenty of $$$$$$$$ to run and maintain. If the membership numbers/dues are not there to keep it going, the management of the range will have to make decisions on how to balance those numbers to keep the gate open. If they don't, it will grow up in weeds. I truly hope that don't happen.
    Will I be purchasing a membership? Nope, It's not for me. I shoot 600 yards at Palo. If want to shoot a 1000 Yard match, I will take a 3.5 hr ride up to Bar 3 in Laurel, MS and pay the $40 fee.

I agree. A lot of people who do not run ranges seem to think they know how it should be done and what it should cost. I wish the range the best of luck. In my opinion, more range options are better for all.

Firearmfanatic

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 25, 2016
    Acadia Parish

Will I be purchasing a membership? Nope, It's not for me. I shoot 600 yards at Palo. If want to shoot a 1000 Yard match, I will take a 3.5 hr ride up to Bar 3 in Laurel, MS and pay the $40 fee. I do hope they consider holding matches there down the road though. It would be great to have another venue so close.

I agree. A lot of people who do not run ranges seem to think they know how it should be done and what it should cost. I wish the range the best of luck. In my opinion, more range options are better for all.

I hear what you all are saying but, those who choose to live stupid, will most likely also die stupid! Stupid is as stupid does! Take it for what it is worth!

NOShooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2014
    New Orleans
    NOShooter - Can't speak to your dealings with the park management. But for what it's worth, they (range vs racetrack) simply coordinate schedules so they aren't conflicting with each other. Other than that, it's two separate businesses. I can speak to what I've seen thus far. And if it continues on being developed it will be a great place.

DBMJR1 - It's $500 a year right now for the first 100 members. Plus members get guest passes, I think it's 4 per year.

The "range" is on park property. they are not exclusive parcels, nor are they exclusive businesses. Park management manages Brandon. When you rent a basement apartment, it doesnt mean you own it or have any rights to stay beyond the LA statute of 10 days.

From the maps, this new "range" is located exactly where the south track was supposed to go.

What happens when management changes for the 6th time and it is decided that they are FINALLY going to complete the track as it was promised? understand that many people paid 150K for a lifetime track membership that guaranteed many things, like the south track, that never materialized. A few years ago, the GM at the time also thought it was a great idea to spend TONs of money on opening an off road park, which is now defunct. when does the range follow suit?

That HUGE " parking lot" was always supossed to be the infield for the track. The idea was 2 tracks being used simultaneously, or both linked together in the "long" set up. I'm glad youre this thrilled about the range, but you have no context on the last 5 years at the place.

Furthermore, with the park in financial trouble, understand that if the park closes, the new "range" , all of your money and all of your access go away.

Brandon is a tenant of nola motorsports park in the BEST case. More than likely, he's merely the operator, who paid for a ton of improvements, so that the park can cancel his "operation" at will.

What I read was that it's $1K/year, with buy one get one free for the first 100 members. That means that the third, fourth, etc are all going to cost $1K/year, assuming they don't raise the rates.

Say I shoot, conservatively, 50 times a year, and bring a guest each time. That's 46 X $40 = an additional $1,840.00 a year, bringing the rate to $2,840/year.

For that kind of money, over ten years, I could spend less money buying a used Prius to drive back and forth to Honey Island, and leave my truck at home.

Very true.

Good luck to y'all and your car deals. :rofl: I'll be shooting at 1300 yards, not necessarily hitting anything. But I'll be shooting at it! Haha.
    If you are allowed to . you bet your ass that porsche club of america spends a crap ton more money than you do for access to the park grounds. Even the drift kids drop probably 20x what you are for access. they come first.

That whole place is doomed, the CEO and CFO are cutting the grass out there to save money. NOLA motorsports park is in debt up to it's eyeballs and falling quickly.
    They also changed the access policy for the park to save money. It used to be 24 hrs a day, with staffed security. Now, access ends at 6pm, unless you call the CEO and arrange for after hours access " for good reason".

This sign has been removed, by the way. Just last weekend. Little silly to have a range on the property with that sort of thing still up.

no ****. but what is the potential for it going back up? not much has changed in park management/staff/happenings from when it was up to now. I'm really glad that youve paid your money and put all your trust/faith in the ill-thought-out science experiment being done with your money, but you, again, have zero context as to how things have gone in the past.

In general terms, history is indicative of the future. I have very little confidence that this will go well, based on the success of other failed projects... ( indy, andretti relationship, off road park, on site restaurant, member access gym and pool, trackside living, speed shop, compressed air services, AMA events, south track construction, movie filming, F1 team car testing, automaker performance car testing, timing tower modernization, 24 hr access to garages....) need I go on?

it may seem like it, but I'm not trying to poop on the parade. I'm merely trying to illuminate the challenges that have been had by those that bought into the park and the promises early on. I'd URGE EVERYONE to proceed with caution. Make sure that you're well informed. The range is thought of as an additional amenity. it is not the primary focus of the business operation. As such, the primary motorsports use case will ALWAYS take priority over anything firearms related.

I honestly really do hope that it works out, but i'm extremely sketical based on how things have been run in the past. Take it for what it's worth, but if y'all are out there and need a fridge to throw drinks in or would like to pop into an air conditioned space during a long, hot day, need tool or a workbench to make repairs, etc, let me know. I , as previously mentioned do have a garage out there with plenty of tools and would be happy to help y'all in a pinch.

Last edited:

Lets_Ride

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Our club was approached by NOLA Motorsports a few years ago to layout and build a Mountain Bike trail on their property. Luckily it fell through before we spent a lot of time and effort on it.

geoney

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 1, 2011
    Lake Charles
    The "range" is on park property. they are not exclusive parcels, nor are they exclusive businesses. Park management manages Brandon. When you rent a basement apartment, it doesnt mean you own it or have any rights to stay beyond the LA statute of 10 days.

From the maps, this new "range" is located exactly where the south track was supposed to go.

What happens when management changes for the 6th time and it is decided that they are FINALLY going to complete the track as it was promised? understand that many people paid 150K for a lifetime track membership that guaranteed many things, like the south track, that never materialized. A few years ago, the GM at the time also thought it was a great idea to spend TONs of money on opening an off road park, which is now defunct. when does the range follow suit?

That HUGE " parking lot" was always supossed to be the infield for the track. The idea was 2 tracks being used simultaneously, or both linked together in the "long" set up. I'm glad youre this thrilled about the range, but you have no context on the last 5 years at the place.

Furthermore, with the park in financial trouble, understand that if the park closes, the new "range" , all of your money and all of your access go away.

Brandon is a tenant of nola motorsports park in the BEST case. More than likely, he's merely the operator, who paid for a ton of improvements, so that the park can cancel his "operation" at will.

Very true.

If you are allowed to . you bet your ass that porsche club of america spends a crap ton more money than you do for access to the park grounds. Even the drift kids drop probably 20x what you are for access. they come first.

They also changed the access policy for the park to save money. It used to be 24 hrs a day, with staffed security. Now, access ends at 6pm, unless you call the CEO and arrange for after hours access " for good reason".

no ****. but what is the potential for it going back up? not much has changed in park management/staff/happenings from when it was up to now. I'm really glad that youve paid your money and put all your trust/faith in the ill-thought-out science experiment being done with your money, but you, again, have zero context as to how things have gone in the past.

In general terms, history is indicative of the future. I have very little confidence that this will go well, based on the success of other failed projects... ( indy, andretti relationship, off road park, on site restaurant, member access gym and pool, trackside living, speed shop, compressed air services, AMA events, south track construction, movie filming, F1 team car testing, automaker performance car testing, timing tower modernization, 24 hr access to garages....) need I go on?

it may seem like it, but I'm not trying to poop on the parade. I'm merely trying to illuminate the challenges that have been had by those that bought into the park and the promises early on. I'd URGE EVERYONE to proceed with caution. Make sure that you're well informed. The range is thought of as an additional amenity. it is not the primary focus of the business operation. As such, the primary motorsports use case will ALWAYS take priority over anything firearms related.

I honestly really do hope that it works out, but i'm extremely sketical based on how things have been run in the past. Take it for what it's worth, but if y'all are out there and need a fridge to throw drinks in or would like to pop into an air conditioned space during a long, hot day, need tool or a workbench to make repairs, etc, let me know. I , as previously mentioned do have a garage out there with plenty of tools and would be happy to help y'all in a pinch.

Which garage are you in? Might swing by there for the beer fest and want to pop in and say hi!

bipolarbear

SevenGun
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    NOLA
    Ill be at NolaTacTC on Sunday setting up some IDPA and/or 3Gun stages for some practice. Its the only range nearby where I can do that (that i have use of). And the 20 minute drive is more appealing to me than driving all the way to Thibadeaux (the next closest place i know of where i can set up stages). The range is there, available for use, so I plan to make use of it.

geoney

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 1, 2011
    Lake Charles
    Ill be at NolaTacTC on Sunday setting up some IDPA and/or 3Gun stages for some practice. Its the only range nearby where I can do that (that i have use of). And the 20 minute drive is more appealing to me than driving all the way to Thibadeaux (the next closest place i know of where i can set up stages). The range is there, available for use, so I plan to make use of it.

They let you set up your own stages and stuff? Damn

NOShooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2014
    New Orleans
    Which garage are you in? Might swing by there for the beer fest and want to pop in and say hi!

sorry, i missed this. I went over to the park Saturday, and am absolutely furius with them right now. ( not at liberty to say why or give details as the "issue" may end up requiring the services of my legal counsel depending on how the ceo reacts to the problem.)

Net/net, the entire operation continues to reinforce my skepticism i success. I'm saddened that they cant seem to get it together. It's a real shame.

geoney

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 1, 2011
    Lake Charles
    sorry, i missed this. I went over to the park Saturday, and am absolutely furius with them right now. ( not at liberty to say why or give details as the "issue" may end up requiring the services of my legal counsel depending on how the ceo reacts to the problem.)

Net/net, the entire operation continues to reinforce my skepticism i success. I'm saddened that they cant seem to get it together. It's a real shame.

No biggie man, I understand.

Did you go check out the range? If so, what did you think?
    Been watching the FACEBOOK page, and track issues aside, it looks like the range is coming along nicely and people are enjoying it.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    It is really no different than any other range in terms of there is no guarantee it will be there in the future.
    If you can afford it and go enough to use it, go for it.
    Nothing about NMSP is guaranteed. My whole attitude is do it while it is there.

Top Bottom