Non-"tactical" handgun training?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JabbaTheWhat01

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    I wonder if anyone around the New Orleans area offers handgun classes that aren't so tactical. I'm a pretty good shot, but I'm slow. I'd love to take a class or two, but perhaps something more "practical" (as in IPSC or USPSA or steel challenge) than tactical. Any recommendations?

Doctor481

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Ponchatoula
    There is a class offered at Baker Range that is the next step up from a concealed carry class.
    It is called Defensive Handgun Tactical Course and taught by Gordon Hutchinson.
    It has about 2 hours classroom followed by 4-6 hours on the range.
    All of the shooting is done from a concealed holster and they recommend your actual carry gun.
    It could be called Practical Pistol, they concentrate on basic self defense methods/drills.
    It is offered on request, and we are planning one in mid November.

freedive10

-Global Mod-, Caballoloco
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Mandeville
    Without knowing what exactly you want to accomplish with a class, its hard to know what to recommend. Advantage Group, Phobos, and Vata all have intro pistol classes.

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    These days "Tactical" in the title is about as Tactical as "Y2K Compliant" was on EVERY consumer product leading up to and following Y2K (I actually saw a surge protector marked Y2K compliant).

Train regardless. Purchase a timer and dry fire laser training system and have fun at home. Purchase a replica BB gun and practice in the back yard. Purchase a "Blue" gun replica and practice drawing from concealment, target acquisition, stress targeting, etc. Something a lot of shooters overlook is reload (stress, combat, general, etc.) training. You can sit at home and practice the three Rs. Reload, Rack and Ready.

Not to mention there are a TON of great resources online. Training documents, videos, etc. You don't have to be (or even attempt to be) Instructor Zero to be proficient in a handgun.

There are alternative options to paid training courses... you just don't get a pretty certificate to hang on your wall. On the flip-side, there are a good number of courses available, I would suggest contacting your LGS or shooting range and inquiring. Google is your friend also... "Pistol Training Louisiana" is a good start.

When the time comes, no one is holding a shot timer.

Last edited:

Devilneck

S&W Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Slidell
    Templar tactical training in Slidell offers low speed non tactical training, contrary to the name

Yep, good one, although I'm biased. Three friends and a direct family member. None of the silly neckbeard tactical painball weekend warriors, just honest real world techniques and training.

They'll do the concealed carry course and handle everything for you. They also do classes that are more advanced.

Military vets get a big discount.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    ...None of the silly neckbeard tactical painball weekend warriors, just honest real world techniques and training.

Who cares who's shooting? I don't know of any reputable trainers not teaching real world techniques. There seems to be a tremendous back lash developing against training and trainers. If you haven't attended the courses maybe you should withhold judgement. Some people attend classes because in addition to being informative they are fun. Jyst food for thought.

Added:

In the last class I conducted there were 12 shooter. Of that 12 the only one with a beard was a former Naval Special Warfare Intel guy. The rest of the class was attorneys, executives, engineers, software developers, IT Professionals, accountants, and tradesman. It's impossible to prejudge what a class will be.

freedive10

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Mandeville
    Don't be hating!

kkdgk536e4s2xjd0x8yd.jpg

V.G. is right. It is a ton of fun. Mind as well have fun while learning don't you think? You also meet some great people.

Its kinda like the CRACK of the shooting world. You just want more and more and............ You get the point.

ta2d_cop

#CornholioLivesMatter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 28, 2008
    Covington
    Who cares who's shooting? I don't know of any reputable trainers not teaching real world techniques. There seems to be a tremendous back lash developing against training and trainers. If you haven't attended the courses maybe you should withhold judgement. Some people attend classes because in addition to being informative they are fun. Jyst food for thought.

I think the point of the OP is that the training arena is full of Costa types and full on tactical hub-bub and that is not what he was wanting. Not that it is good or bad, just not his deal. Unfortunately the first thing that pops into people's head when it comes to modern firearms training is crazy operator type stuff. Right, wrong, or indifferent, that is how the industry has projected itself in recent years. I don't personally buy into the paying $500.00 for 2 or 3 days and getting yelled at and doing **** I could do on my own if I had a free range to use (which I do). I spent a few floats and deployments on playing those ****-**** games, it didn't make me a better shooter, it just helped me to reinforce solid fundamentals I already had. That's what it comes down too, FUNDAMENTALS. You can have all the JP ACOG CRYE **** you can buy, but if you haven't trained hard in the basics you'll get outshot by a dude rocking an Oly Arms AR, provided it doesn't ka-boom on ya.

Getting back to my point, The guys at Templar don't roll with the full blown tactical craziness, although they could. They all have rock solid "operator" creds and the resumes to back it up. The old crotchety guy use to be one of the top shooters for the US Navy back in the day. They know they are capable, but understand that sometimes the boring **** is the most important, and that is what makes quality instruction.

Last edited:

freedive10

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Mandeville
    I think the point of the OP is that the training arena is full of Costa types and full on tactical hub-bub and that is not what he was wanting. Not that it is good or bad, just not his deal. Unfortunately the first thing that pops into people's head when it comes to modern firearms training is crazy operator type stuff. Right, wrong, or indifferent, that is how the industry has projected itself in recent years. I don't personally buy into the paying $500.00 for 2 or three days and getting yelled at. I spent a few floats on the back of a ship playing those ****-**** games, it didn't make me a better shooter, it just helped me to reinforce solid fundamentals I already had. That's what it comes down too, FUNDAMENTALS. You can have all the JP ACOG CRYE **** you can buy, but if you haven't trained hard in the basics you'll get outshot by a dude rocking an Oly Arms AR, provided it doesn't ka-boom on ya.

Getting back to my point, The guys at Templar don't roll with the full blown tactical craziness, although they could. They all have rock solid "operator" creds and the resumes to back it up. The old crotchety guy use to be one of the top shooters for the US Navy back in the day. They know they are capable, but understand that sometimes the boring **** is the most important, and that is what makes quality instruction.

Tad- Every legit class I have attended starts with the fundementals in the intro classes. As the classes progress, the fundementals are always focused on and is the base on which everything builds upon. I have seen all ages, sizes, and sexs in classes. During classes there is a gamit of high-speed shooters in both L.E., Military, and competetive. Mix of civilians who shoot fast, slow, and in between. Its great b/ they all help each other out with little things that make a big difference. Also see a lot of weekend shooters just wanting to enjoy shooting, people wanting to really learn self defense, and a few tacticool guys that I only see one or twice. I have taken the same classes two of three times and I am ALWAYS learning somthing about me and the platform.

I say to the OP, just attend an intro class by a legit company and he will be surprised that the perception of high-speed contractor type classes are few and in between.

Oh, and I have NEVER been screamed at in a class. Now, when I get home, its a different story. :D

Last edited:

ulshop

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    lafayette
    In the classes I've taken I have seen similarities in the content but the big difference is the instructor. Even those with real world; military/LE experience, not every instructor has the right temperament and personality to effectively communicate and teach the information. I've been teaching college courses for almost ten years and I am always watching how others run a class… anyone can dish out information, not many can teach. We are fortunate around here to have access to some great instruction, and as was said - its a ton of fun. You can't go to a public range and set up barricades, shoot and move or most of the drills covered in a class. In my defense, I have a beard - but the long hair and extra weight put me in the "high drag" category.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    I think the point of the OP is that the training arena is full of Costa types and full on tactical hub-bub and that is not what he was wanting. Not that it is good or bad, just not his deal. Unfortunately the first thing that pops into people's head when it comes to modern firearms training is crazy operator type stuff. Right, wrong, or indifferent, that is how the industry has projected itself in recent years. I don't personally buy into the paying $500.00 for 2 or 3 days and getting yelled at and doing **** I could do on my own if I had a free range to use (which I do). I spent a few floats and deployments on playing those ****-**** games, it didn't make me a better shooter, it just helped me to reinforce solid fundamentals I already had. That's what it comes down too, FUNDAMENTALS. You can have all the JP ACOG CRYE **** you can buy, but if you haven't trained hard in the basics you'll get outshot by a dude rocking an Oly Arms AR, provided it doesn't ka-boom on ya.

Nobody yells at anybody ever in any class I teach or host. Every single drill is rooted and grounded in fundamentals. We teach a very simple fundamentally sound curriculum and it absolutely makes people a better shooter. You should come out and take a class. It will make you a better shooter. The range isn't run like a Mil range. We spend a great deal of time diagnosing and fixing individual shooters.

This discussion is about pre-conceived notions. The OPs assumption about "tactical" classes is incorrect. The points people are making about the perceived short comings of various Types of classes are also inaccurate. There are people who would take your $500 for a 3 day class and not make you a better shooter, those people are thieves. They exsist in this
    Industry and every other industry. At the same time there are plenty of guys that would take your $500 for a 3 Day class and make drastic changes to your overall capability and leave you thinking you'd have gladly paid twice as much.

ta2d_cop

#CornholioLivesMatter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 28, 2008
    Covington
    Tad- Every legit class I have attended starts with the fundementals in the intro classes. As the classes progress, the fundementals are always focused on and is the base on which everything builds upon. I have seen all ages, sizes, and sexs in classes. During classes there is a gamit of high-speed shooters in both L.E., Military, and competetive. Mix of civilians who shoot fast, slow, and in between. Its great b/ they all help each other out with little things that make a big difference. Also see a lot of weekend shooters just wanting to enjoy shooting, people wanting to really learn self defense, and a few tacticool guys that I only see one or twice. I have taken the same classes two of three times and I am ALWAYS learning somthing about me and the platform.

Not saying there bad or good, just my $.02.

And as far as "ALWAYS learning something about me and the platform" anytime you push yourself or your equipment that will happen. I guess my perspective is different because of my background. I've played student and instructor and unless you were a stupid boot 03XX, a student at 3Mar Reg Schoolhouse or a cop at my agency they prolly did'nt appreciate it till they actually had to use it. I didn't instruct for me, I instructed for them because I was asked. It was actually a pain in the ass and quite possibly on of the most mentally exhaustive job I had. Good bless the good ones, It is a hard job when done properly for the right reasons.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    alwill112
    Top Bottom