Non-"tactical" handgun training?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    The rifle open carriers that do (that I have seen posted on the Internet) don't look like they attend classes.

JR1572

That's my point, people who attend classes don't carry rifles outside of classes, just like they don't wear multicam outside of classes. Should training with a rifle be seen as tacticool like wearing multicam?

Devilneck

S&W Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Slidell
    Relax, I'm from the internet!

Attachments

• tacops.jpg
      tacops.jpg
      38.7 KB · Views: 47

mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner
    Nobody yells at anybody ever in any class I teach or host. Every single drill is rooted and grounded in fundamentals. We teach a very simple fundamentally sound curriculum and it absolutely makes people a better shooter. You should come out and take a class. It will make you a better shooter. The range isn't run like a Mil range. We spend a great deal of time diagnosing and fixing individual shooters.

This discussion is about pre-conceived notions. The OPs assumption about "tactical" classes is incorrect. The points people are making about the perceived short comings of various Types of classes are also inaccurate. There are people who would take your $500 for a 3 day class and not make you a better shooter, those people are thieves. They exsist in this
    Industry and every other industry. At the same time there are plenty of guys that would take your $500 for a 3 Day class and make drastic changes to your overall capability and leave you thinking you'd have gladly paid twice as much.

With that said still looking for the next Gunfighter 1 class and hopeing it's soon !

geoney

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 1, 2011
    Lake Charles
    I think this thread serves as a perfect example of the biggest hurdle most students in a firearms class face... preconceived notions and failure to have an open mind. If you show up with an attitude of what is "tactical" and what is not, or what is "real world" and what is not, you are only doing yourself a disservice. When you do not approach with an open mind, you easily fail to avail yourself to quality info and also run the risk of swallowing bad info because it fits your preconceived notion of what you SHOULD be hearing or doing.

JabbaTheWhat01

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Hi Gang. Wow, I ruffled some feathers.
    What I meant with my question was whether there are classes just on being more accurate and faster shooters. It might be true that a one handed reload is useful info for a real life gunfight. Likewise, learning to shoot while lying on my back. But I don't want to train for a real life gunfight. I strictly just want to learn how to shoot better.

Matthew Courtney

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2014
    Lake Charles
    The difference between high speed tactical and low speed beginners are not so much in the techniques. The fundamentals are the same. The difference is in the number of correct repetitions that one has. Because of this, an array of skill levels may often be accommodated side by side. Once the fundamentals of safety, marksmanship, and firearm handling have been learned, getting quality rehearsals in are what matters.

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    That's my point, people who attend classes don't carry rifles outside of classes, just like they don't wear multicam outside of classes. Should training with a rifle be seen as tacticool like wearing multicam?

Some people (LEO's) attend training and carry rifles to deploy outside of training. You don't see many LEO's in weekend classes because it's not cheap (tuition and ammo), off time is at a premium, and not all LEO's want to play with guns on their own time.

Some people like to play dress up and shoot guns on the weekend. I get the training aspect. We all need more training, including me and you. However, dressing up in multicam and covering yourself in unnecessary gear to look like the varsity team shooters for a class is silly.

Instead of worrying about purchasing unnecessary gear to look like the varsity team, some people should back away from the trough and run around the block a few times.

JR1572

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    Some people (LEO's) attend training and carry rifles to deploy outside of training. You don't see many LEO's in weekend classes because it's not cheap (tuition and ammo), off time is at a premium, and not all LEO's want to play with guns on their own time.

Some people like to play dress up and shoot guns on the weekend. I get the training aspect. We all need more training, including me and you. However, dressing up in multicam and covering yourself in unnecessary gear to look like the varsity team shooters for a class is silly.

Instead of worrying about purchasing unnecessary gear to look like the varsity team, some people should back away from the trough and run around the block a few times.

JR1572

We weren't talking about officers, issued gear, remember? If someone is out there working to get better the color of theor pouches is about the stupidest thing to be concerned with that I can imagine. I guess I wasn't born with the cattiness to be concerned with what other people do with their money, or anyone's decisions that effect me. The only thing that really concerns me is if someone is safe with their firearm, because that can effect me. I know quite a few weekend warriors that are more competent with a pistol than either of us and I don't think a change in attire would change that. I don't worry about what other people are doing, I just worry about what I'm doing. Instead of worrying about what other people are wearing, I think we should be focused on improving ourselves. If I had trouble shooting a firearm competently, I wouldn't have anything to say about what anyone else is doing at the range. I would be at the range fixing that.

Last edited:

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    We weren't talking about officers, issued gear, remember? If someone is out there working to get better the color of theor pouches is about the stupidest thing to be concerned with that I can imagine. I guess I wasn't born with the cattiness to be concerned with what other people do with their money, or anyone's decisions that effect me. I know quite a few weekend warriors with multicam pouches that are more competent with a pistol than either of us and I don't think a change in attire would change that. I don't worry about what other people are doing, I just worry about what I'm doing.

Jack, I don't care what you think. I think people dressing up in costume to go play weekend warrior is silly. If that hurts people's feelings, so be it. If someone can shoot better than me (yes, I'm sure tons of people can) so be it. If they're dressed up for an imaginary battle, I think it's silly. It has nothing to do with their shooting ability.

It's a good idea to train with your normal carry gear. I don't think a padded multicam belt is part of anyone's daily carry rig. I was wearing an ALS holster and a spare magazine. Surprise, surprise, that's what I carry 5 days a week while at work.

JR1572

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    Jack, I don't care what you think. I think people dressing up in costume to go play weekend warrior is silly. If that hurts people's feelings, so be it. If someone can shoot better than me (yes, I'm sure tons of people can) so be it. If they're dressed up for an imaginary battle, I think it's silly. It has nothing to do with their shooting ability.

It's a good idea to train with your normal carry gear. I don't think a padded multicam belt is part of anyone's daily carry rig. I was wearing an ALS holster and a spare magazine. Surprise, surprise, that's what I carry 5 days a week while at work.

JR1572

It is a good idea to train with your carry gear, I agree entirely. If I couldn't stay on paper or dropped mags while trying to reload I'd be working on that instead of posting here or worrying about other people's training attire. I don't give advice on jogging attire because I'm fat and obviously not any good at jogging, I stay in my lane, maybe there is a lesson there.

Last edited:

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    It is a good idea to train with your carry gear, I agree entirely. If I couldn't stay on paper or dropped mags while trying to reload I'd be working on that instead of posting here or worrying about other people's training attire. I don't give advice on jogging attire because I'm fat and obviously not any good at jogging, I stay in my lane, maybe there is a lesson there.

Remind me about when I wasn't on the paper. I did drop a mag.

JR1572

Last edited:

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    Last edited:

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    Sure did drop a mag, then got off paper, DQ'ed for the drill, raged out, threw the mag, and went home. You don't remeber being DQed on speed drills? Either way, here is you talking about not being able to stay on paper with your BUG.

http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/...n-Ammunition&p=1420999&highlight=#post1420999

I don't remember DQ'ing on the speed drill. If so, ok.

Raged out and left? I left when I was out of ammo. I was hot over dropping the mag because that's the first time that happened in a while.

Yeah, I got off paper this weekend shooting my Airweight at 25 yards. I admitted that.

I'm glad you payed so much attention to me at the class. I'm actually flattered by all of the attention you gave me.

I feel bad I didn't pay that much attention to you. Sorry.

JR1572

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    M
    I don't remember DQ'ing on the speed drill. If so, ok.

Raged out and left? I left when I was out of ammo. I was hot over dropping the mag because that's the first time that happened in a while.

Yeah, I got off paper this weekend shooting my Airweight at 25 yards. I admitted that.

I'm glad you payed so much attention to me at the class. I'm actually flattered by all of the attention you gave me.

I feel bad I didn't pay that much attention to you. Sorry.

JR1572

It is hard to miss the guy in front of you having a meltdown, throwing a mag, screaming, then rolling out. It reminded me of misbehaving children in Walmart. Don't feel bad about not paying me any attention, I'm there to get better, not for attention.

Last edited:

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    It is hard to miss the guy in front of you throwing a mag, screaming, then rolling out. Don't feel bad about not paying me any attention, I'm there to get better, not for attention.

Lol. I was at that class because I was invited by Nate to get some range time, not for attention.

Jack, you're a little off with your recollection of the events.

JR1572

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    Lol. I was at that class because I was invited by Nate to get some range time, not for attention.

Jack, you're a little off with your recollection of the events.

JR1572
    So you didn't botch a reload, get pissed, throw a mag, and stomp off?

If you are comfortable with your level of competency, that is your assessment. I wouldn't be, especially if I carried a gun as part of my job, but it falls under the umbrella of things that don't effect me. If you aren't okay with your proficiency, maybe you should do what other people are doing, go to the range. If it takes someone dressing up in a costume to do that, at least they are going to the range. Sure beats being a mediocre shooter on the derp. Oh wait, like you always say, everyone is an expert on the Internet. Have a good night Ronnie, I'm going to go work on my draw.

Last edited:

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    So you didn't botch a reload, get pissed, throw a mag, and stomp off?

If you are comfortable with your level of competency, that is your assessment. I wouldn't be, but it falls under the umbrella of things that don't effect me. If you aren't okay with your proficiency, maybe you should do what other people are doing, go to the range. If it takes someone dressing up in a costume to do that, at least they are going to the range. Sure beats being a mediocre shooter on the derp. Oh wait, like you always say, everyone is an expert on the Internet. Have a good night Ronnie, I'm going to go work on my draw.

Jack, you said I got mad and then left. I botched a reload, got dq'ed and and threw a mag. Yes, I was pissed. I didn't leave for the day like you said.

I've never said I'm an expert, and I consider myself a mediocre shooter. We can all do better.

I have been putting in more range time since then.

Go work on your draw. I have reloading drills to do, like I have been doing.

JR1572

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    mike933
    Top Bottom