Not getting consistent grains

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Iamjustifyd

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    River Ridge, La.
    I'm using Lee products, auto disk adjustable charge bar and a digital scale. I haven't reloaded in awhile and getting back into it and forgot this is a pain in the butt! For example, if I'm trying to get 4.8 I'll get a couple of charges that are 4.8 then it'll go from 4.6-4.9 the next few pulls. I try to pull the handle the same way, I run quite a few charges before I start actually measuring. I'm using Unique powder. I'm set up in the shed out back which doesn't have A/C and a friend of mine said maybe the humidity? Any suggestions?
    Thanks!

Danny Abear

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2007
    Brusly, La.
    Unique is a hard powder to measure because it is a 'stick' type powder; I have used a Lee disc and Pro disc for years. I eventually drilled and tapped a hole in a large 'hole' and put in a long setscrew to fine tune the amount of powder. I just recently bought the new "Lee Auto drum' measure and it is as accurate as my RCBS Uniflow. Can't beat it for$40.00

Ellis1958

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Port Allen, LA
    I'm a blue press (Dillon) guy and not familiar with Lee presses. However what helped a bit with Dillon measures is dryer sheets. Disassemble as far as practical. Wipe everything down with a new dryer sheet. What this does is remove the fine layer of crud that you can't see. More importantly it helps reduce any static cling of the powder to the powder measure surfaces.

Stick powder is a pain to measure no matter whether its pistol or rifle. Any measure that can give you + or - 0.1gr is about as good as you are going to get.

xobelkcat

tacklebox
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Jul 6, 2007
    Slidell, Louisiana
    I have been using unique powder in my lee press, I also don't get very consitant throws. Although, my unique is a flake powder not stick. May we just need to start using ball powder?

Iamjustifyd

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    River Ridge, La.
    Yeah maybe so but I have about 2.5 lbs. left of Unique so I better get used to it at least for the time being. I'll try a dryer sheet and see if that helps any. I'm not near a hot load or anything but I'm trying to figure out what I like as far as loads and it's irritating me! Thanks!

xobelkcat

tacklebox
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Jul 6, 2007
    Slidell, Louisiana
    I've found that when loading .40 for my G23, I can have a 180gr on top of 4.5-5.0 grains of my "flake" unique, with no noticeable difference. At 7yds the point of aim/impact doesn't change and accuracy is pretty good. I just aim for 4.7 grains and if it's a little more or less I'm good to go.

As a side note, I've started weighing each powder charge and using only the single stage press. Especially if I'm making a batch of test loads.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    How have you determined it is not the digital scale? Realistically it could be both scale and measure. I am in no means against Lee Products. I am just not a big fan of their meters and scales.

Being you are in River Ridge let me know if you want to compare scales/powder measures with what I have. Can't do it till next week though.

Last edited:

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    Lee powder measures are notorious for inaccurate operation. Additionally many people have issues measuring Unique powder regardless of the device used. Digital scale accuracy can be influenced by many factors. I check my scales with a set of precision check weights for accuracy and I rely on a balance beam scale to verify my charge weights. I'm not trying to bash Lee products, I do use some of them, but reloading equipment is like anything else. Quality costs extra.

Goatwhiskers

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    FWIW: speaking of electronic scales, I liked mine till it cratered, but it has been reported that they can be affected by stray air currents, also that some are adversely affected by fluorescent lights. No true in my case, but something to consider. GW

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    I had the same problem using unique in the lee hoppers, so inconsistent that I would have low power loadings if not careful. I switched powders and that worked. If you are determined to use the unique, I found tapping the hopper with each throw made the loads uniform.

gwpercle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA.
    Unique isn't a stick powder but rather round discs, that are a bit course , and most measures don't do well with it. In this case you have a couple options. Lyman 55 measure will throw consistent charges when operated consistently. Set the adjustable slides to create a single, deep , narrow cavity and it will work.(the deep narrow cavity is the secrete)
    Dippers , make a dipper to dip the weight you want. Believe it or not very consistent charges can be dipped. I use them a lot. And of course you can always go to a ball or granular type powder that meters in the Lee measure.
    I like Unique for a lot of things and have a Lyman 55 just for it.
    Don't discount the dippers untill you give them a try, practice first to perfect your dipping technique . You might be surprised at how accurate it is...and cheap too.
    Gary

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    unique is well know for being hard to "throw" accurately. it is due to it being so sensitive to static electricity. Between the lightweight powder and the plastic components. It is hard to get an accurate throw. You can around it by running a wire from your press to the floor. But if your room is carpeted. You will never ever accurately through unique.

noylj

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2010
    southwest
    1) Of the four different measures I have used, the Lee Pro Auto-Disk is at least as consistent as any of them and more consistent than the Dillon--which is still good enough for any competitive loads I make.
    2) Unique may meter indifferently, but it is also quite accurate despite any charge inconsistency. I shot Bullseye, IPSC, and PPC in the '70s and '80s with Unique and never worried about the consistency like so many do today. When it is accurate, it is accurate over a wide range of charge weights and exterior ballistics will show that is doesn't really matter out to at least 50 yards.
    3) In most cases, the problem is less with the measure and more with technique.
    clean the measure. Wash the hopper section and disks in warm soapy water and let it air dry without rinsing. Clean the metal base and drop tube with Hornady One-Shot Cleaner and Dry Lube. Do not wipe off the dry lube
    Run a hopper of graphitized powder (say, Unique) through it or add some powdered graphite.
    Check the instruction sheet for any suggestions.
    After you add powder, shake the hopper gently to settle the powder
    Throw at least ten charges before you start to measure.
    The measure, like most other measures, can be more consistent if you add a vibrator to the hopper (aquarium pump, cell phone vibrator, adult toy vibrator, etc.
    4) I really can't see Unique being any more sensitive to static as any other powder and it should be less sensitive with the conductive graphite coating. Even static, as far as I ever saw, only means static cling to the hopper and not to the consistency of the powder drop. Leaving the soap residue on eliminates this, as does wiping with an anti-static laundry cloth or such.
    If you can't stand any inconsistency, get a different powder or get an RCBS ChargeMaster and be done.

Last edited:

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Timely... I was using an Lee Autodisk with Unique last night. I found the same issue. What I found to be helpful is that I tapped the Autodisk several times (~10ish) between each throw to get the powder to funnel down into the disk. Pain in the ass, but each pull became more consistent. I let it rip after I got several to be in the ball park. I was just throwing together some plinking cowboy loads though. I'd probably measure each load and trickle to get the end number I was looking for if I was making a more serious load.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cajuntiger84
    Top Bottom