NRA -- Never Satisfied Money Grubbers

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    I used to get a minor amount of personal satisfaction by returning pre-addressed/no-postage return envelopes that came in junk mail...stuffed with junk mail from other envelopes. Just remove any portions that bear your name/address, and enjoy a brief satisfied smile as you imagine the consternation in the receiving mail room as they open the envelope, only to find solicitations from other totally unrelated companies. It always generates at least a slight snicker and tiny uplift on an otherwise grinding day to think of the junk mailers getting pissed about receiving junk mail. It's the little things.

Pacioli

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Baton Rouge

Robhic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Destrehan, LA
    How do you propse they due what they do with out "pandering for $$$$?"

1) Dues /memberships
    2) Donations / fund-raising

NOT filling my mailbox with beg notices 1-4 times a week .... AFTER I just sent them $$$ from the last beg notice. Less is more.

Tom Gresham

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 1, 2008
    Covington
    1) Dues /memberships

NOT filling my mailbox with beg notices 1-4 times a week .... AFTER I just sent them $$$ from the last beg notice. Less is more.

Just ASK them to stop. They will. Easy. No need for a rant.

Why do they do it? Because it works. Annual budget is about $250 million.

ejt1469

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    New Orleans
    quote_icon.png
    Originally Posted by ejt1469How do you propse they due what they do with out "pandering for $$$$?"

1) Dues /memberships

Do you really think that they would be as effective in so many areas if they limited themselves to just this?

Last edited:

Pacioli

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Do you really think that they would be as effective in so many areas if they limited themselves to just this?

So what level of classlessness are you OK with? How about they sag their pants while wearing 2A underwear and walk among stopped cars at traffic signals begging for coins?

It's not too much to ask that they act better than they are.

headspace

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 9, 2009
    Hammond
    Tell me what other group is out there fighting for my rights as a gun owner that can make a difference. I became a LIFE member and don't get near as much junk mail as I did before. I get CC apps from all kind of folks and if you want to get junk mail join AARP. Yep the NRA is a pain in the a** but during the last session of the legislature, the NRA was down here fighting for me and all other gun store in the state to keep from killing us with usless paperwork. No other group was here doing that. Hey just my 1/2 cent.

Bryan Guillory
    Louisiana Gun
    Baton Rouge
    I agree brother. If the main thing bothering folks is mail in their box asking for money I'd think they could see past that. I've sent donations to paralyzed vets (cuz I know one), the little Lakota Indian kids, state troopers fund and more. And guess what, they all regularly send requests for more money. In fact, the state troopers call my house on a regular basis.
    The bottom line is, NRA has fought for our second amendment rights with a resounding voice that no other has matched to date. They have recently blocked legislation and they're going to bat against the UN at this moment. And besides, the gun grabbers fear them, which gives me much satisfaction. All this fighting involves filing suit to stop things in their tracks at times, which costs big money. I'm never sorry to send my share, as small as it is. I think I wouldn't mind a little extra mail in my box. Small price to pay. Anyone in doubt should go online and look up the chronological record of what they've done to date. Then decide if there's anyone doing more, and if we'd be allowed to own firearms at all had they not been around. I don't mind if my preacher lives comfortably either.

Last edited:

ejt1469

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    New Orleans
    How about they sag their pants while wearing 2A underwear and walk among stopped cars at traffic signals begging for coins?

Really, bro?

The bottom line is, NRA has fought for our second amendment rights with a resounding voice that no other has matched to date.

Enough said. All the rest is just noise.

mprice

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    Breaux Bridge, LA
    I am, have been, and continue to be an annual NRA member (not a lifetime member) so that I don't feel imposed upon when I send a few extra $ as I can afford it. I don't begrudge small donations that I control - but, certainly not as often as I'm asked. I also requested to not be notified or solicited via phone and, have not had a single call - only email and reg mail which I choose to open or trash....

As an aside, I also have sent money to Rep Jeff Landry here in LA and Michelle Bachmann in Minnesota. Ms Bachmann's group is pretty tenacious but, Rep Landry just sends yard signs (I requested) and bumper stickers. Still, it's my choice to open or trash - sans phone calls.

I wish I could have been more active with this years elections but I've had kind of a rough patch health wise. But, I want to be as active politically right now as possible and my small donations that I control are the only game in town for me right now.

Marc Price
    Breaux Bridge

Last edited:

pwl822

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    boyce
    life member so is my 9 yr old. who cant wait till christmas to see what new weapon the nra will help us get and KEEP. I get more junk mail from places I never heard of. Small price for such hugh smiles

geauxshootin

LA CHP Training and more
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Prairieville
    80 million people in this counrty have firearms! only about 8 million of them belong to the NRA. If even 20 million belong to the NRA, enabling them to have a larger represented body, you would probably see alot less mail asking for funds. I have my issues with some departments within the NRA, but also know many people that work there. I can tell you that of the people I know, they are all very serious about what they do and all of you that they represent.

Splitting gun owners to different groups and away from the NRA will not achieve any results. We need the mass in one place to influence the political system in this country. I have seen, as others stated, that once I became a life member my mail volume slowed considerably.

Support the NRA

Alan

Last edited:

geauxshootin

LA CHP Training and more
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Prairieville
    An insubstantial amount.

It's a business like anything else. Have you seen the mansion the guy that runs the NRA lives in? I don't think Justin Bieber's house is that nice.

At least their cause is a good one. Kony 2012, anyone?

??? It is not just a business!!
    So in your view, who is that guy that runs the NRA? I hate to tell you that the "guy" you see representing the NRA, does not actually run the NRA. Just maybe that "guy" had earned his money somewhere else and bought that house before he was the "guy that runs the NRA"

I guess you think he should pay more taxes and spread the wealth too!

seriously, you have to do a little more homework to make an educated judgement or comment similar to the one you made. Maybe just too much sugar for you that day!

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    80 million people in this counrty have firearms! only about 8 million of them belong to the NRA. If even 20 million belong to the NRA, enabling them to have a larger represented body, you would probably see alot less mail asking for funds. I have my issues with some departments within the NRA, but also know many people that work there. I can tell you that of the people I know, they are all very serious about what they do and all of you that they represent.

Splitting gun owners to different groups and away from the NRA will not achieve any results. We need the mass in one place to influence the political system in this country. I have seen, as others stated, that once I became a life member my mail volume slowed considerably.

Support the NRA

Alan

NRA needs to stop being a FUD organization and stand up and it would do a lot better...

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Well the constant threat to our Gun Rights is well constant :dunno:

Can't you just e-mail them and request NO publications? That's what my father-n-law did, he now gets something every few months if that.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Well the constant threat to our Gun Rights is well constant :dunno:

Yep. NOT a good idea to get drunk off the recent gains against the antis just yet....They still lurk among us- and aren't going away.

Top Bottom