Obama says death penality has problems including racial bias

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    Supposedly the Chicoms use a bullet in the back of the head. Then they bill the family for the cost of the bullet. At least, that's the rumor.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    The French probably came up with the best method (amazing...). The guillotine is pretty much fool proof and humane.

I've heard somewhere that the drug companies are withholding the lethal injection drugs on 'moral grounds'.

buzzworm

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Picayune Ms.
    The French probably came up with the best method (amazing...). I've heard somewhere that the drug companies are withholding the lethal injection drugs on 'moral grounds'.

Story I heard on the radio a few days back said this, and claimed another type of drug was used which burst the veins and screwed up the execution.

Last edited:

jwglock

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 28, 2011
    Ponchatoula, LA
    I read recently that all of the drugs that they use are not made for lethal injections. They are just using massive quantities of drugs made for other reasons. None of the drug companies want their drug that they are trying to sell to doctors and hospitals to be the drug used for lethal injection. Some drug companies have refused to sell to Dept's of corrections. There is a big problem with trying to find the right combination of drugs and a good supply supposedly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    As for the execution that spurred this little debate, I do not care if it took a little longer than normal. Perhaps our president should meet with the victim's friends and family and talk to them about why we need to take a closer look at the death penalty. I mean- all the guy did was shoot her and get some buddies to bury her alive, right?

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/cri...mate-botched-okla-execution-article-1.1777463

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    I'd say it has a flawless record with those who've been through the whole process. None of them have ever harmed anyone else.

Last edited:

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    The same can be said of people convicted of similar crimes that receive natural life sentences. From where I sit it is a very expensive, slow moving deterrent that doesn't deter.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    I guess I have a different opinion. I don't believe in deterrents when we're talking about this level of evil. Nothing is going to deter that, IMHO. I look at the death penalty as an individual punishment of the worst examples, more than a deterrent.

I just can't see why someone like Derrick Todd Lee (for example) should be allowed to breathe oxygen any longer- no matter if it is in a steel box. And I would wager that the families of his victims feel the same way. And even if I didn't feel that way- I sure don't have the right to tell them they are wrong.

jwglock

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 28, 2011
    Ponchatoula, LA
    I don't view the death penalty as a deterrent either. Some people simply don't deserve to live any longer. It would work better if these people were executed at a more rapid pace.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Maybe. I don't know, If I was asked to choose between a lifetime in prison and execution I would think execution was a gift. It's also not as if these guys don't sit on Death Row for decades. I don't think it's worth the money it cost. I just fail to see how its a punishment. Light switch off. That's it. Gimme that over Angola any day.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't view the death penalty as a deterrent either. Some people simply don't deserve to live any longer. It would work better if these people were executed at a more rapid pace.

The problem with that is the DOZENS of guys who have sat on death row for long stretches only to be exonerated of their crimes.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    I agree but I'm assuming your a sane person. It's the same as the counter-argument to the cry's for more gun control after mass shootings. Crazy Folk and Hardened Criminals are not likely to be restrained by law nor deterred by punishment.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Well I try to be, anyway.

The point you made is why I feel the way I do. There is no punishment that will act as a deterrent for someone who is simply rotten to the core. Or at least we haven't come up with one to this point.

From the economics point of view, I'm not sure how the argument can be made that it's more expensive to execute them. Some of them would surely die of old age in prison. I don't see how we can estimate what future costs of housing them will be say 50 years from now. They'll still be a burden to someone, though.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    It's a pretty widely acknowledged fact that because of appeals, special housing, additional payroll etc. that Death Penalty inmates cost more.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    It's a pretty widely acknowledged fact that because of appeals, special housing, additional payroll etc. that Death Penalty inmates cost more.

Now THERE'S something worth looking into.

Of course I don't have an answer for fixing this, sitting here in my living room.

But I'd love for us to take a closer- and serious- look on reforming the process, if at all possible. There must be some ways to reduce those costs that simply aren't being considered.

Last edited:

bjeepin2

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    Hickory, La
    we need a better less expensive way of keeping Hardened Criminals locked up, I like the guy out in AZ, I do not under stand why so much money is spent on Hardened Criminals to keep them happy

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    As far as the death penalty goes we do not want to be like China, But have to do it. But cost plenty with current system then the appeals system.
    It is crazy. If someone was found Guilty without a reasonable doubt
    As far as HNIC goes i was 14 when I first heard it 50 now. I worked with my dad and a guy that was a real kool and knowledgeable person.
    Who tough me a craft that I used for many years. He happened to Be a black guy who aways said he was the HNIC! And told everyone that he was and wanted respect for being so.
    And got it. He also said if ya did not thing he was in charge you would be on the outside looking in.

Top Bottom